Spending XP on Card Upgrades

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I can use some help making sure I have a clear understanding of card upgrades. The issue of XP value for lvl-0 cards is causing confusion. Here is the rule for spending XP on card upgrades.

When purchasing a higher level version of a card with the same title, the investigator may choose to "upgrade" that card by paying only the difference in experience (to a minimum of 1) between the two cards and removing the lower level version of the card from his or her deck.

Just to set a baseline, if I want to purchase a new lvl-1 card (not an upgrade), it costs 1 XP. That's pretty clear.

But if I want to upgrade from a lvl-0 Deduction card to a lvl-2 Deduction , does it cost 1 XP or 2 XP? This specifically has to do with upgrading an existing card with same title. I'm not sure if the lvl-0 Deduction card counts as a lvl-1. I don't think so, but could use some confirmation.

Replacing Deduction(0) with Deduction(2) costs 2xp, because two (2) is the difference in level between the two cards. If the difference in level between the card you're replacing and it's replacement is 0, it still costs 1xp.

Basically, if x-y=z, the cost is z, where x=the level of the upgrade (in this case, Deduction(2)) and y=the level of the card in your deck (Deduction(0)). However, if x-y=0, the cost is 1.

Hope that helps.