Strategy help needed for Grey Wanderer contract

By Flrbb, in Strategy and deck-building

I am struggling to find a good start with the Grey Wanderer contract.

IMO, Strider is usually the best choice for a (generic) hero. Questing, then defending and using the contract to ready for counter-attack. With this in mind, it is until the combat phase when you get your 2nd and 3rd resource - which is kind of late. Even with not having Strider, the useage of the contract comes after the planing phase. Either way, there is only one resource to spend in the first planing phase. I really like to spend that one on a Resourceful, but that means I have absolutely did do nothing to buff that one (wo-)man show. In most cases/quests this seems not be enough.

I have one exception in mind: with Beravor you can exhaust her to draw two cards and ready her with the contract to than having 3 resources in the first planing phase.

Did I miss any other heroes with similar abilities?

Is there a better strategy than playing a Resourceful? What would you play?? Timely Aid, for sure. But is that all what this contract can deliver on the first round?

Another option would be using a Noble hero and Captain's Wisdom for an early turn resource boost.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I can't read cards 😅

Edited by ShiraHata
47 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Another option would be using a Noble hero and Captain's Wisdom for an early turn resource boost.

Except C.W. is a resource action. ;)

Indeed it will give you a huge resource boost, but still not at the beginning of the first round.

40 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

Except C.W. is a resource action.

Yeah, in the first round you use CW in the Resource Phase and then in the following Planning Phase you use the contract to ready the hero and get the resources.

Edited by Alonewolf87