Fanstuff: winter is coming to Terrin-Hoth

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

No, I'm not working on an IA / GoT / Descent crossover (but hmm, maybe- only joking)

This post is instead a bit of a heads up that if you do custom scenarios for Descent 2e then the IA tiles are really mega-useful and you can still get IA sets for now at least. You may or may not know that Imperial Assault and Descent 2e have compatible map tiles so you can join them up and mix and match them. I'd been thinking about it due to 'Return to Hoth' being recommended if you wanted snowy tiles for Descent and finally joined the dark side (buying SW stuff :) ) getting all the main boxed sets and I'm glad I did as all of the seven sets have some awesome tiles very useful for both Descent and sci fi settings in other games/rpg use.

This is kinda amusing too as just as I find out they're closing the forums it is worth underlining that it was here and on the BGG forums that I got the idea

SO I'VE PURCHASED A WHOLE GAME LINE'S MAIN SETS BECAUSE OF THE FORUMS :)

and in their infinite wisdom their forums are going, one has to be bemused-amused- hey lets close something that helps sell our games

I was going to give some more specific info but I'm jumping in now in case I don't get round to it before forum-nuking day but to summarize you get some really useful snowy tiles, likewise some sandy tiles that would suit beach/ desert etc and quite a few soily-muddy-woody-jungly-etc thus fairly flexible ones that would fit lots of uses including locations in Zanaga, swampy areas, forests.... Between them you could do the areas of Mennara/Terrinoth geography-wise and there are some nice tile features such as a broken bridge.

I'm even slightly tempted to get a second Return To Hoth set as the snowy tiles are very useful to me as I'm working on quite a bit of custom fan scenario stuff set in Isheim.

There's a bit of sci-fi stuff on some tiles but it's easily ignor-able or pretend-its-something-else-able with a bit of just ignoring it, repurposing it (that's a rubbish pile) 'theatre of the mind' or covering it up with something, and a lot of them are quite sci-fi free.

Also even the interiors can sometimes be flexed- some could make believable elven interiors, council meeting rooms... or be used in other inventive ways so I've seen ways all but a small number of the tiles could be useful.

I'll be using them in my projects but with alternatives from the Descent tiles for those that don't have them.

A few of the minis could also be made use of for creatures, most of course don't fit though.

I did get a bantha rider as that felt like quite a nice easter egg for an RPG session in Isheim :) Feels like it could stand in for something and get a smile from the players. Also a Jabba The Hutt for a similarly easter-eggy RPG surprise for my players in a sci fi setting. Treading carefully the icy path of copyright naturally hence such ideas won't make their way into shared stuff as Mickey wouldn't like it.

Of course if you're also an IA player you could probably do some interesting maps mixing up the tiles the other way too as Descent's tiles would sometimes fit such settings.

Nice buddy!.

I will wait this custom campaign in BGG forum... looking for a good Ice Themed Campaign for D2e

Edited by soulsoul666
On 1/14/2021 at 10:54 PM, soulsoul666 said:

looking for a good Ice Themed Campaign for D2e

I've already one : search "Descent V2 - Oath of the Anvil" and you should find it ;)

16 hours ago, rugal said:

I've already one : search "Descent V2 - Oath of the Anvil" and you should find it ;)

I can't find it. Should I search here or on BGG?