New Starwars (Video) Game/s

By CloudyLemonade92, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Straight from Starwars.com

Case in point, the huge news that Lucasfilm Games and Ubisoft are collaborating on a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game. It’s a genre long-requested by fans, and will come to life via Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft’s critically-acclaimed studio based in Malmö, Sweden. “We’re really excited about an opportunity to work with the team at Massive, led by David Polfeldt and the creative director, Julian Gerighty. We’ve spent almost a year now, working to get to know them and what they want to bring to the table,” Reilly says. “I’m a huge fan of them, personally. I think we’re really excited about where that project is going, because they have a unique vision for the story and the game they want to deliver.”

Of course, Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment are renowned for their expertise in developing immersive worlds, and in pushing the boundaries of technology with their proprietary engine, Snowdrop. “We know that fans of Star Wars value the feeling of immersion — of being transported into the Star Wars galaxy and moving through richly-detailed environments. It’s fun to imagine what the team at Massive can do within Star Wars by bringing their innovative spirit and their commitment to quality,” Reilly says.

And thus ends the EA exclusivity!!!

Honestly, if they bring back Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight on the Mac, I'll be happy. I prefer those types of games to open worlds.

Do I have to be a total dweeb again or can I customize my character this time?

Frankly I'm surprised they're announcing this right after how Cyberpunk 2077 turned out.

1 hour ago, False God said:

Frankly I'm surprised they're announcing this right after how Cyberpunk 2077 turned out.

Why?

1 hour ago, False God said:

Do I have to be a total dweeb again or can I customize my character this time?

Trueee!

That's how I felt about Fallen Order.

Hmm... I wonder if this means that the RPG can have PDFs now.

Only Concern right now is that Ubisoft could just turn this into an Assassins-Creed/Watchdogs-Clone and go at it like Valhalla for example.

One can argue about the best/worst game of the series, but the route they took spirals downwards over all - story and mechanics wise.

I just wait for some reskinned badly made AC remake and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be really good :D

Biggest win out of this is that the doors are open for other studios to also do something with SW what could bring us a wide variety of potentially interesting games over the next years. And this at a much higher rate than EA could provide alone.

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Why?

A massively hyped open-world RPG claiming to provide unprecedented freedom that was riddled with bugs, glitches and very little of substance in this "open world" to the point where it was actually removed from "shelves", I can't imagine why people might be skeptical.

Also, Ubisoft is known for making generic open-world games with no real substance.

1 hour ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

Trueee!

That's how I felt about Fallen Order.

To be fair, I actually like Kal for the most part, but man, he is such a dork.

Edited by False God
14 minutes ago, False God said:

A massively hyped open-world RPG claiming to provide unprecedented freedom that was riddled with bugs, glitches and very little of substance in this "open world" to the point where it was actually removed from "shelves", I can't imagine why people might be skeptical.

So...to draw a metaphor, because the Justice League movie was a disaster, we should have expected Avengers: Endgame to follow that model.

Got it.

All they’ve announced is that there’s a game coming. But, apparently, we should already assume the worst.

It’s been said before, but it becomes truer every day: nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans. 🙄

20 minutes ago, False God said:

Also, Ubisoft is known for making generic open-world games with no real substance.

Which has what, exactly, to do with the response to a game they had nothing to do with?

41 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Only if the electronic/video game and RPG contracts have had their language changed to allow it.

42 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

So...to draw a metaphor, because the Justice League movie was a disaster, we should have expected Avengers: Endgame to follow that model.

Got it.

All they’ve announced is that there’s a game coming. But, apparently, we should already assume the worst.

It’s been said before, but it becomes truer every day: nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans. 🙄

I'm suggesting folks might be skeptical about promises of another awesome "open world" game. Not that they should burn LucasArts to the ground. Christ.

42 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Which has what, exactly, to do with the response to a game they had nothing to do with?

I'm aware Cyberpunk 2077 isn't one of theirs. Ubisoft has enough shallow open-world games all to their own, which is what I was referencing.

I think the caveat most can agree on is an open-world game will take a long time to develop, and unless I've misread they just started. See you in Q4 2026!

12 hours ago, False God said:

I'm suggesting folks might be skeptical about promises of another awesome "open world" game. Not that they should burn LucasArts to the ground. Christ.

Who said you suggested that? Not me.

But, as noted in the metaphor, you’re saying that because WB promised an awesome, epic super-hero team movie that failed to deliver, people would/should be skeptical of a similar project by a different studio.

Or, to draw another metaphor, because McDonald’s makes burgers with the taste and consistency of cardboard, that people would/should be skeptical of all burgers. 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, False God said:

I'm aware Cyberpunk 2077 isn't one of theirs. Ubisoft has enough shallow open-world games all to their own, which is what I was referencing.

Then why specifically reference a game they had nothing to do with when you can make the comparison of apples to apples, instead?

I'm not sure Stormtroopers are going to make believable blaster-sponges...

Massive is the actual developer not Ubisoft, they just own them and will probably be the producers. Massive did The Division 1 & 2 not any of the AC games, which are okay but have almost no story at all and as looter-shooters that take clip after clip to kill everyone only to maybe get a slightly better gun and bits of armor doesn't really have that Star Wars feel to it. Maybe they can make the jump to a story driven, open world game but who knows. Also Star Wars is supposed to have that epic sort of feel which means a strong story driven game not an open world, kill the thing get a prize, repeat grind that The Division has. What the next Star Wars RPG game should be like is Mass Effect, considering it was same folks that did KotoR that should be no surprise to anyone, with a limited open world that consists of side tasks that relate to the main story in some way or allow you to get an item or information not necessarily critical to the main objective but doesn't feel like a distraction. Credit to Cyberpunk 2077 on this point because they were able to give you a lot of side quests so you could get the funds you need to outfit your character to accomplish the main storyline without making it feel like you were ignoring the main story.

What LucasArts really should do is re-make KotoR & KotoR2 as a launching platform for more game in the universe, sort of like what's going on with Mass Effect Legendary Edition coming out before launching ME4. Why they don't seem to be taking this route and instead choosing a game developer that has no experience doing RPGs is baffling to me. The fans have been begging for a KotoR re-boot for a decade, it's a guaranteed win even if all they do is a strait rebuild, seems like a missed opportunity.

Fallen Order was okay, I enjoyed it, and it felt like Star Wars but it was pretty limited as far as it being an RPG, honestly it felt more like an arcade game with a teeny-tiny bit of character customization. I had hoped it would be more like Dark Forces or Jedi Academy but nope. Also after the whole Disney push for female and diversity characters I was really surprised that there wasn't at least a Kal or Kalia choice, it was 2019 after all and pretty much every RPG out had that choice (the Witcher didn't but those were based on an established character with a dozen novels so they get a pass).

Edited by FuriousGreg

I'd like an Elder Scrolls style Star Wars game ngl. Tons of character choices and customization and skill leveling. Thats what I want.

9 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Who said you suggested that? Not me.

But, as noted in the metaphor, you’re saying that because WB promised an awesome, epic super-hero team movie that failed to deliver, people would/should be skeptical of a similar project by a different studio.

Or, to draw another metaphor, because McDonald’s makes burgers with the taste and consistency of cardboard, that people would/should be skeptical of all burgers. 🤷‍♂️

Marvel established a strong supers genre and already had crossover movies under their belt before Endgame released. DC on the other hand did not and had produced several lacklucster supers movies before they jumped straight into the deep end of the pool to compete with Marvel and released Justice League. Different things are different. The fact that they are both movie studios or both supers movies doesn't mean they are the same.

But you know this. So cut the crap.

The issue, which you are apparently having difficulty grasping, is that several studios have produced rather lackluster open-world games of late, and Ubisoft in particular is known for shelling out some rather dull ones on a regular basis. So the concerns here are twofold: One, multiple gaming companies have failed to produce good open-world games. Two, Ubisoft in particular has failed on that note multiple times .

Gamers have been burned multiple times by the genre and Ubisoft in particular, they should be skeptical with Ubisoft says they're at it again.

9 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Then why specifically reference a game they had nothing to do with when you can make the comparison of apples to apples, instead?

Because it just happened . And because Ubisoft escaped my mind for a moment until Malashim posted.

Christ what's with the 3rd degree man?

30 minutes ago, False God said:

Marvel established a strong supers genre and already had crossover movies under their belt before Endgame released. DC on the other hand did not and had produced several lacklucster supers movies before they jumped straight into the deep end of the pool to compete with Marvel and released Justice League. Different things are different. The fact that they are both movie studios or both supers movies doesn't mean they are the same.

But you know this. So cut the crap.

The issue, which you are apparently having difficulty grasping, is that several studios have produced rather lackluster open-world games of late, and Ubisoft in particular is known for shelling out some rather dull ones on a regular basis. So the concerns here are twofold: One, multiple gaming companies have failed to produce good open-world games. Two, Ubisoft in particular has failed on that note multiple times .

Gamers have been burned multiple times by the genre and Ubisoft in particular, they should be skeptical with Ubisoft says they're at it again.

Because it just happened . And because Ubisoft escaped my mind for a moment until Malashim posted.

Christ what's with the 3rd degree man?

No third degree intended.

Just trying to figure out what apples have to do with oranges. Your initial post hung on the response to a single, recent game that none of the parties involved in the upcoming one had anything to do with. It didn’t say a thing about “several studios” producing more than one game.

There’s also an element that you’re seeming to not grasp, despite saying it yourself: different things are different.

I mean, if you feel wary of Ubisoft being involved based on their track record, fine. Say that, rather than hanging your astonishment that they’re involved in this one on the response to a game they weren’t involved in.

Or, y’know...don’t. But in that event, don’t be surprised if your point ends up unclear, and prompts questions. 🤷‍♂️

On 1/14/2021 at 2:55 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I was thinking about this too when I heard it!

I've heard a lot of hate about Cyberpunk 2077, but personally my experience - running it on a 6 year old PC - is great, I think people have wrong expectations and weird assumptions that don't relate to reality and rationality. And people's outrage over bugs? Lolz-lolz-and-more-lolz...! On what planet do they live? Not planet Earth :ph34r: 🤣

1 hour ago, Jegergryte said:

I've heard a lot of hate about Cyberpunk 2077, but personally my experience - running it on a 6 year old PC - is great, I think people have wrong expectations and weird assumptions that don't relate to reality and rationality. And people's outrage over bugs? Lolz-lolz-and-more-lolz...! On what planet do they live? Not planet Earth :ph34r: 🤣

My understanding is that the big problems are on the consoles. I mean, the developer did issue a statement that translates to, “Yeah, we know it’s practically unplayable on consoles. We hope to have it playable by the end of Q1 2021.”

5 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

My understanding is that the big problems are on the consoles. I mean, the developer did issue a statement that translates to, “Yeah, we know it’s practically unplayable on consoles. We hope to have it playable by the end of Q1 2021.”

Yeah, consoles they were giving people their money back, haven't heard that for PC.

1 hour ago, Jegergryte said:

Yeah, I missed pretty much all of the hype around 2077 and just decided to get it after I watched a bunch of reviews. Bugs were a big problem but it was obvious that those would primarily apply to consoles and the day one patch could fix a lot of the bad ones for PC. And now i got over 130 hours with really minor problems and still not seen everything i could.

I started with the olde Saints Row and all the "open world" city games are pretty much the same, doesn't matter if we look at Watchdogs/Cyberpunk and even the AC/Ghost Recon-games work with the same underlying mechanic when it comes to exploration and "areas" where you find quests/events. Deus Ex had some interesting changes to thoes base mechanics, but it lacked in the percieved freedom of choice how to tackle things (like going hard on stealth and getting wrecked by all the boss-fights because stealth did't really work there) and customization within RPG elements.

About the mentioned differences because Massive is on to the task for SW - i played both The Division games and they have still no clue how to balance **** :D

I like the games and still play TD2 sometimes, but man it won't feel like Star Wars with their typical way to create "challenging encounters" way too many DPS-Checks and bullet-sponges.

BTW: was there any word if it will be an MMO/COOP/Singleplayer?!

2 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

If people have wrong assumptions then that is because CDPR had been promoting very hard, for years on end, a very different kind of game than the one they made. As it stands, modern graphics aside, Cyberpunk 2077 would have felt outdated in 2010.

Edited by micheldebruyn

While Cyberpunk 2077 has not lived up to the hype, and it seems like it was released before it was ready (hence the bugs, missions that feel unfinished, etc.) it's not like it was a pioneer in the genre. We've had many very successful open world games, going back more than a decade. If CDPR was announcing a new big open world game then I'd be surprised, but I don't think it takes any particular chutzpah for Ubisoft/Massive and Lucasfilm Games to take a try. in fact, Ubisoft has shown a great deal of proficiency in the genre, just look at how successful their Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs games have been, including recently. If anyone can pull this off, I'd expect they can, especially tied with the Star Wars IP.

Is there a risk of this being overhyped and letting people down? Of course. But I think this is as solid as you can get... A game world that is already rich and well-established, a gaming genre we haven't really seen in that world (depending on whether you count the MMORPGs to count as "open world" games), and a developer with a solid track record.

Of course, I'd also have expected CDPR to have done a better job with Cyberpunk 2077 since they did so well with the Witcher games, so maybe I'm overly optimistic. But still, Ubisoft has a much larger body of work than CDPR.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, micheldebruyn said:

If people have wrong assumptions then that is because CDPR had been promoting very hard, for years on end, a very different kind of game than the one they made. As it stands, modern graphics aside, Cyberpunk 2077 would have felt outdated in 2010.

I disagree, but fair enough.