Force Powers (Move in particular) define what you want to do before or after the roll?

By Fl1nt, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hello :)

In my last Session a question came up:

Does the Player of a Force Sensitive Character get to roll the Force Power / combined Force Power check and then decide what they will do with the results or can they decide afterwards?

For normal Force Power checks with only Force Dice, I'd say they can roll and then decide.

But the tricky thing is the following: Combined checks and Force Attacks (for example Force Move to attack):
As per RAW I'd say it's decide what you want to achieve then roll. If either component of the combined check fails, it fails and thats it.

It feels a little bit restrictive though, if for example a Force Sensitive wants to throw a large Container at a target and on the combined check manages to succeed in the Discipline part but does not roll enough Pips for that course of Action, what would you do?
Or what would happen if they dont get enough Pips to attack with said Object at Long Range but the pips would suffice for a Short Range attack.

I'd be grateful for any insights and opinions on this matter.

Cheers.

I second your question, this is something that has puzzled me.

I think you roll the pips for the power and then get to try and trigger what you will. In the case of an attack with Move, I'd say it all depends on the results of the skill check. If you fail, you failed and you basically just chucked the item past the target or whatever. If you succeed on the check, but do not generate enough Force pips, as per RAW the attack fails. However, it does not say that you have to select an object to be thrown before making the check, so I'd suggest that you can downsize what you intended to grab and though if that makes up the difference, but no, you can't pick a different target.

For a normal Force power, I'd say that (with the exception of potential edge cases where it uses a sort of ability separate from the basic power) you roll the dice, then spend the pips as desired. However, I'd also specify that you have to choose which power ahead of time, including with split powers like Heal/Harm and Protect/Unleash.

You declare your general intentions. Then you roll. Then you determine, base on the roll, what happens. This isn't really any different from any other roll in this system.

With example given, if the Force Power check is insufficient for the declared intention, then success/failure on the Discipline (or other skill) check is irrelevant (but you might still be able to find uses for Advantage/Triumph generated by the roll and you'll need to deal with any generated Threat/Despair too).

5 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I second your question, this is something that has puzzled me.

I think you roll the pips for the power and then get to try and trigger what you will. In the case of an attack with Move, I'd say it all depends on the results of the skill check. If you fail, you failed and you basically just chucked the item past the target or whatever. If you succeed on the check, but do not generate enough Force pips, as per RAW the attack fails. However, it does not say that you have to select an object to be thrown before making the check, so I'd suggest that you can downsize what you intended to grab and though if that makes up the difference, but no, you can't pick a different target.

For a normal Force power, I'd say that (with the exception of potential edge cases where it uses a sort of ability separate from the basic power) you roll the dice, then spend the pips as desired. However, I'd also specify that you have to choose which power ahead of time, including with split powers like Heal/Harm and Protect/Unleash.

Yeah that would be my prefered way to see it as well.

As per RAW, yes its pretty clear but I would be interested if others have had discussions about this at their tables and how they decided to deal with it.
I always tend to lean towards a more free interpretation of the rules but that's exactly why I'm interested in others experiences 😃