Ships and Steeds

By DarthXagidyl, in Rules Questions

Hi all;

I'd like to punch up steeds for medieval cavalry: make them more interesting, a valid offensive/defensive strategy, and part of the character sheet—not unlike personal ships in FFG-SW. I started with adapting bits of vehicle rules, and branching off ship talents (Fancy Paint Job, etc). It's going ok, about as far as I can without playtesting it (which may be a while yet); has anyone else tried this?

Similarly, the setting I use has a well developed maritime milieu. I found the Age of Sail fan doc, but I was wondering if anyone has something for the early Renaissance period?

Thanks.

One thing I've done with mounts that seems to have worked well is that I give them a Speed rating. I also stole an idea from Jarreddw's Cowboys and Dinosaurs and give them an Orneriness rating.

Speed rating (typically 1-3) is the number of equivalent moves they take on the first maneuver they use to move in any given round. So a Speed 3 creatures moves the equivalent of 3 moves if they spend a maneuver to move. Any further maneuvers spent they only get a single move for. This makes speed matter and is easy to rule on in combat since it doesn't work like vehicle speed which interacts somewhat less smoothly with personal scale IMO.

Orneriness is a rating that upgrades the difficulty of Riding or Survival checks to control the creature, making the skill more important.