rules: harvey's ability

By awp832, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I guess I think this should be pretty straightforward. I have a disagreement w/ a friend over harvey walters' ability, I suppose the same also applies to Jaqueline Fine as the wording is the same.

I said that the limit on Harvey's investigator card is per investigator; that is to say that in a 4 player game each player could benefit from harveys ability once per round. As evidence I cited that anything in the game that has a limit is usually a "per investigator" type limit unless stated otherwise, which Harvey's card doesn't state otherwise.

He thinks that is unintuitive and dumb and remains unconvinced that this is how it is supposed to work. He thinks the limit is meant to be applied once/round for the group as a whole (I already tried to explain the difference between "limit" and "group limit").

Let me know if there's anything else to back up either viewpoint.

I personally think that the reaction can only be triggered 1 time every round. The restriction "group limit" is only stated on actions or reactions that can be triggered by any investigator. But Harvey's reaction is "activated" only by Harvey since it is printed on his card (although the condition and consequence benefits any investigator) . So basically Harvey "allows" any investigator at his location to draw one more card. And Harvey can "allow" that once per round. If Harvey is unfriendly and doesn't want to "allow" that, there's nothing that the other investigators can do about it.

Your friend is correct.

You may only activate abilities on player cards in play and under your control, scenario cards in play and at your location, the Act and Agenda card, and cards that explicitly allow you to do so.

Harvey's investigator card falls under that first category. Only Harvey can activate the Reaction ability, so it can only be used once per round. Compare and contrast with Minh Thi Phan 's ability, which states "limit once for each investigator per round".

The ability has a limit of once per round, not once per round per number of players. As it's Harvey's ability, it is the player who controls Harvey who may choose if, when and by whom the ability may trigger.

ok, surprises me but thank you.

You can contrast this with Minh's ability, which can be triggered per investigator (though Minh's player still controls and triggers the ability).