Homebrew campaign - feedback needed

By Nostromoid, in Star Wars: Armada

My timing couldn't be worse, with the forum shutdown in a couple of weeks. But, here's my quarantine project: a campaign built off of the Rebellion in the Rim rules. It's got subfactions, it's got cross-era, it's got tech trees... it's still a work in progress but it plays like its own strategy game layered on top of your battles.

Here are my working files. For now, its working title is "Galactic Conquest" but that could be improved. In this Google Drive folder are:

• A rules document. Again, this is heavily based on RitR , but a lot of new rules are still needed.
  • A campaign map.
  • A set of "tech trees" - in this campaign, each fleet has access to its own distinct set of forces and upgrades, and most of those get unlocked by constructing the proper facilities at your team's bases. This spreadsheet document lays out the unique flavor for each subfaction in the campaign.

What is this?

This is a fan-produced campaign for Star Wars: Armada, made for groups to play as a narrative series of battles. It’s based on the Rebellion in the Rim campaign, by Fantasy Flight Games, and the rules from that campaign are needed to play this campaign. I previously designed another Armada campaign, Siege of the Arkanis Sector , back in 2018 and this campaign was a fun quarantine project to keep myself busy during 2020.

What makes this campaign different?

Deeper Warfare: This campaign adds more complexity and decision-making to the Strategy and Management phases of the campaign. Almost nothing changes about how the battles themselves are waged, but the additional options in the strategic “layer” of the campaign make that aspect of the campaign weightier, and therefore more important in order to achieve victory.

Theme: This campaign plays up the in-universe flavor of selected aspects of the campaign. Fleets are themed by their choice of subfaction, which defines the ships and squadrons that can be brought into them, and which give access to upgrades that not all other subfactions can choose. Locations in the campaign also have more distinctive features that differentiate each one from the others, and make the story elements of those worlds mechanically meaningful to the campaign.

Cross-Era Play: Many subfactions are available to choose, and they intentionally break the standard Armada paradigm of two very broad Rebel/Empire factions. These subfactions represent a slice of one of those factions, a slice of one of the new Clone Wars factions, or some nonstandard fleet group consisting of forces drawn from multiple different factions in the standard game. These subfactions form teams with each other based on their alignment to the Dark Side or Light Side, allowing players to join a campaign together who prefer different types of fleets.

Resources and Supply: This campaign breaks away from Armada’s standard “fleet points” mechanic, in favor of two different mechanics: resources and supply. The cost of different forces in terms of supply will limit the total size of a fleet, but those forces can be improved beyond that supply limit by buying upgrade cards, which cost resources but do not cost supply. Multiple types of resources are needed to construct squadrons and capital ships in this campaign, and those resources are won by capturing different map locations.

Attrition: It was an early goal for this project that fleets would evolve over time, with the outcomes of battles forcing decisions about replacing obsolete or heavily scarred forces, and encouraging players to refine their fleets as new forces become unlocked.

No new cards: What isn’t different about this campaign is that there aren’t any new ships, squadrons, or upgrades. That’s not anything against custom content, but a goal of this project was to do as much as possible without designing and balancing new ships for the game. In some places, near-approximations are included as part of a subfaction, even if they do not belong according to strict canon. A more practical reason to omit custom content was to avoid the trickiness of players needing to proxy models or print cards.

Edited by Nostromoid

Saved for later

I only took a quick glance, although this is great stuff. It is similar to one project I am working on and goes much more indepth in other areas. Looking forward to the final product though.

Thanks - I'm hoping the community here can help point out what parts look unclear or messily written, what looks unbalanced, or what looks like it might be missing.

A few of the areas that I took some design risks by deviating from baseline Armada, I'd like to know if it sits right with people. Using supply and resources instead of fleet points, limiting content according to subfactions, and letting scar tokens and veteran tokens accumulate over time on ships and squadrons.

5 hours ago, Nostromoid said:

Thanks - I'm hoping the community here can help point out what parts look unclear or messily written, what looks unbalanced, or what looks like it might be missing.

A few of the areas that I took some design risks by deviating from baseline Armada, I'd like to know if it sits right with people. Using supply and resources instead of fleet points, limiting content according to subfactions, and letting scar tokens and veteran tokens accumulate over time on ships and squadrons.

I'd recommend posting this in the Board Game Geek forums before the FFG Forums disappear. A lot of the community has moved there and you may get additional feedback as well.

Thanks @Fraggle_Rock I'll try BGG too. I know there's only ever a moderate amount of traffic there, so I wanted to throw it out here before this place gets the big superlaser treatment.