resistance transport and pod

By period3, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I bought the resistance transport and it comes with a little pod that kinda sorta attaches to it. I was expecting that the pod could 'dock' with the resistance transport, but, unlike the ghost, there are no title cards that indicate this is possible. Is it allowed to dock with standard docking rules? If so does it modify the ability of the resistance transport mothership in any way?

If it's not allowed to dock, what exactly is the resistance transport: the portion without the pod? Or when I fly the resistance transport, am I expected to have the pod attached?

46 minutes ago, period3 said:

I bought the resistance transport and it comes with a little pod that kinda sorta attaches to it. I was expecting that the pod could 'dock' with the resistance transport, but, unlike the ghost, there are no title cards that indicate this is possible. Is it allowed to dock with standard docking rules? If so does it modify the ability of the resistance transport mothership in any way?

If it's not allowed to dock, what exactly is the resistance transport: the portion without the pod? Or when I fly the resistance transport, am I expected to have the pod attached?

it cannot dock, no. you either fly the pod or you fly the transport. also, the transport is expected to have the pod attached when flown, which is really dumb, since that means that the two-in-one ship you just bought is really just one ship that can be flown in two different ways.

i know some people have converted the transport and attached stuff like a cockpit from a b-wing, which looks sort of neat. you can also opt to just fly the transport without the pod attached to the model, but i cannot guarantee that will be permitted in a tournament setting.

2 hours ago, meffo said:

since that means that the two-in-one ship you just bought is really just one ship that can be flown in two different ways.

Thats all it is. It wasn't meant to be 'two ships' for a 'low price of $20'. Why would anyone think that was the case? It's a single ship, with an alternate configuration that they happen to make a model for the alt config, rather than just a configuration upgrade card.

6 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Thats all it is. It wasn't meant to be 'two ships' for a 'low price of $20'. Why would anyone think that was the case? It's a single ship, with an alternate configuration that they happen to make a model for the alt config, rather than just a configuration upgrade card.

more like $30. but you're right, it is what it is.

i just think it's a bit silly. it's basically a model and a half, instead of just a model or just two models. it would make sense if you could dock - or if it was just two models. the pack has content for two ships, as in two dials, two sets of pilot cards and so on. it's just half a model and a base that's missing. just a bit strange. they could even have made it slightly more expensive.

the transport ship is not very pretty in any case, not even with the pod attached. all the more power to everyone that mods on a cockpit themselves.

7 hours ago, meffo said:

it would make sense if you could dock - or if it was just two models

Not really. That would be like saying a semi trailer 'should be able to move without the semi tractor attached'. When you look at the Transport without the pod, it really is just a 'trailer' for the pod. Sure, it has an engine on it, but the pod is where all the flight controls, life support and shield generator are. All the important bits for actually flying.

Well, I take it back. Maybe dock in the same sense as the Hyperspace ring, where as soon as the pod undocks, the transport part just becomes a hulk in space unable to do anything. Not sure what purpose that would serve though.

Edited by Lyianx