The Mandalorian characters build

By Lareg, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hey poeple after watching the Mandalorina second season i'm inspired to try and build the main charcters. I don't think it has been done before, or at least i couldn't find a thread about this.

First of all i think that the only real PC in thr show should be Din Djarin and Cara Dune, this seems like a two players game, with a third player that sometimes shows up and uses a GMPC temporarily given to him. Most of the characters are thern NPC or GMPC which have become full fledged pc. Sometimes the two/three players have control of gm charcters (like Ahsoka , in the Jedi, and Boba in the Tragedy) but they should remain npc (and are probably built like that).

So i think that the only PC character that i'm trying to build are Din, Cara, Greef and Fennec. Tell me what you think

I'm building the characters as i think they are at the end of season 2.

I assume they all started (or were rebuilt from npc) as knight level charcters (Mando i clearly alredy experieneced when we meet him in episode 1)then assuming 25 xp points per episode at the end of 16 episodes Din should have around 400 earned xp. I'm giving the other charcters the same amount for balance, even if they "played" less time.

Here we go.

DIN DJARIN

Species : Mandalorian Human

Career and spec: Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer/Fringer/Death Watch Warrior (in season 2 to explain jetpack proficiency)

BR: 3 AG: 4 I: 2 CU: 2 WP: 3 PR: 2

TRAINED SKILLS:

Brawl: 3

Cool: 2

Gunnery : 1

melee: 2

piloting planetary: 2

piloting space: 2

Ranged heavy;: 1

Ranged light: 3

streetwise : 1

Vigilance: 1

TALENTS:

TOUGHENED X2

JURY RIGGED

ARMOR MASTER

TINKERER

DEDICATION

GALAXY MAPPER X2

SKILLED JOCKEY

DEFENSIVE DRIVING

RAPID RECOVERY

DURABLE

CONDITIONED

JUMP UP

JETPACK EXPERTISE

EQUIPMENT

Mandalorian Armor

Whipcord thrower

Wrist flamethrower

Writ rocket launcher

WEAPONS:

Amban Rifle (Pulse cannon + shock prod emitter)

Medium Blaster pistol

Vibroknife

CARA DUNE

Species: Human

Career and spec: Soldier: Heavy/Commando

BR: 3 AG: 3 I: 2 CU: 3 WP: 2 PR: 2

TRAINED SKILLS:

Cool: 1

Gunnery : 1

melee: 2

piloting planetary: 1

Ranged heavy;: 3

Ranged light: 2

streetwise : 1

Warfare: 1

TALENTS:

TOUGHNED X2

BURLY X2

BARRAGE X 2

GRIT

POINT BLANK

STRONG ARM

EQUIPMENT:

Padded Armor

WEAPONS:

Heavy Blaster Rifle with scope

Medium Blaster pistol

Vibroknife

FENNEC SHAND

Species: Human

Career and spec: Soldier: Sharpshooter/Martial Artist

BR: 3 AG: 4 I: 2 CU: 2 WP: 3 PR: 2

TRAINED SKILLS:

Athletics: 1

Coordination: 1

Cool: 3

melee: 1

Ranged heavy;: 3

Ranged light: 2

TALENTS:

SNIPER SHOT

GRIT X2

TRUE AIM

LETHAL BLOWS X2

DEADLY ACCURACY

TOUGHENED X2

DEDICATION

IRON BODY

PRECISION STRIKE

PARRY X2

MARTIAL GRACE

EQUIPMENT

Armored Clothing

WEAPONS:

M-300 Hunter rifle with scope

Medium Blaster pistol

Edited by Lareg

You might want to take a look at what @Ebak drew up:

i saw the topic but he builds them like npcs, i am proposing a PC build. I think it would be interesting to dicuss that

12 minutes ago, Lareg said:

i saw the topic but he builds them like npcs, i am proposing a PC build. I think it would be interesting to dicuss that

Ah, okay. I misunderstood your goal. There have been a couple other attempts to build them as NPCs, so that's where my paradigm was. Apologies.

Thoughts on The Mandalorian:
You don't need Gadgeteer. The only thing it gives him that Death Watch Warrior doesn't is Jury Rigged. He also doesn't seem like the mechanical type.

Although the fluff might draw a confused look, I'd suggest Survivalist, then Death Watch Warrior. It gives him Survival, which you'll need for tracking, and it gives some nice generic and tracking talents. Stalker in particular makes sense, given what we see in Chapter Six. You are also able to avoid the less relevant talents like Hunter, though if you have a willing GM, perhaps Hunter could be changed to affect droids. ;)

Death Watch Warrior gives him the Mando stuff, and then he can get the jetpack talents when he's ready for them. I've got a lot of experience with this particular tree.

For a third tree, Fringer makes some sense, but I've got a couple alternatives to suggest:
Operator might be a better choice. It's in career and gives him more ship operating talents and helps greatly in chases.
Skip Tracer does not give the ship operating talents and stuff, but it gives Rapid Reaction, Hard Boiled, Nobody's Fool, Street Smarts, and a couple other investigative talents.

For Characteristics, I'd suggest that your target be 342332. Starting build should, I think, but 332322, as Cunning is more useful and appropriate for both a bounty hunter and for the character. First Dedication into Agility, second into Willpower. Alternatively, if you use the Human species rather than the Mandalorian species, you could take +10 XP as the starting option and start with a Characteristic build of 332332, putting your first Dedication into Agility.

For combat skills, you'll need Ranged (Light), (Heavy), Gunnery, and Melee, but you don't need Brawl. Maybe a rank.
For Social skills, you'll need Coercion and Discipline. He doesn't really seem to be all that good at any of the others.
For general skills, you'll need Athletics, Cool(?), Perception, Piloting (Space), Stealth(?), Streetwise, Survival, Vigilance.

Other ones to consider are Mechanics, Piloting (Planetary), Resilience, and Knowledge (Underworld), but those are less grounded and less essential. He could easily get by without them, especially Mechanics and Knowledge (Underworld) because he'd need 3 ranks in them to be any good since he only has 2 Intellect.
Cool and Stealth are optional, especially because Stalker would already boost his Stealth. He could do without Cool as a PC given the difficulties there, but if statted as an NPC I'd give him 3 Cool so he's got a pool of YYG, even with Presence 2.

thanks for the feedback.

I hadn't studied the Death Watch Warrior tree in depth, and you are right it has everything Din needs, and you are also right the jury rigged isn't needed. For the second tree Surivavilst is quite intereting for those "hunting" talents, yes. i think that Fringer works better as third becuase it gives him some general utility talents and from what we saw Mando has some mechnic skills (he rebuilds his starship and is able to repair it and give instructions to Grogu about it) and he is capable of piloting it and gunnery, but i never saw anything that implies he is a dedicated and specilized pilot like Operator implies. The few evasive manouvers we see him doing in season 1 and against the two x-wings in S2 are decently covered with the skilled jokey/defensive driving talet from fringer.

I like the charcteristic spread and i agree 342332 is a good one and also the standard human 332332 is a very good idea. I'm always conflicted about husing specialized humn species rather than standard. Standard probably works even better here.

For the skills I agree with your main abilities, but i think that brawl is really needed to cover the hand to hand fights we see him doing (the juggernaut fight scene in chapter 15 is amix of Brawl and Melee i think). I think that piloting planetary is necessary to cover the jetpack use, IIRC in game jetpacks are used with piloting planetary. Discipline or cool....both work because we see him as a cool headed person. As for knowledge skill Id' go with either underworld or outer rim (he is proficient in tusken language and knws how to dela with them...not a common feat i think), probably he has both. Why Survival?

1 hour ago, Lareg said:

I hadn't studied the Death Watch Warrior tree in depth, and you are right it has everything Din needs, and you are also right the jury rigged isn't needed. For the second tree Surivavilst is quite intereting for those "hunting" talents, yes. i think that Fringer works better as third becuase it gives him some general utility talents and from what we saw Mando has some mechnic skills (he rebuilds his starship and is able to repair it and give instructions to Grogu about it) and he is capable of piloting it and gunnery, but i never saw anything that implies he is a dedicated and specilized pilot like Operator implies. The few evasive manouvers we see him doing in season 1 and against the two x-wings in S2 are decently covered with the skilled jokey/defensive driving talet from fringer.

Fair enough, though Mechanics is covered by Death Watch Warrior as a career skill. Fringer takes elements from both Skip Tracer and Operator, but doesn't do either especially well. If you think that's how it should be, with a balance between the two, go for it.

1 hour ago, Lareg said:

I like the charcteristic spread and i agree 342332 is a good one and also the standard human 332332 is a very good idea. I'm always conflicted about husing specialized humn species rather than standard. Standard probably works even better here.

My preference is to use the specialized human, though I think that the standard Human statblock can be too much better in many situations just because you can get that extra Characteristic.

2 hours ago, Lareg said:

For the skills I agree with your main abilities, but i think that brawl is really needed to cover the hand to hand fights we see him doing (the juggernaut fight scene in chapter 15 is amix of Brawl and Melee i think). I think that piloting planetary is necessary to cover the jetpack use, IIRC in game jetpacks are used with piloting planetary. Discipline or cool....both work because we see him as a cool headed person. As for knowledge skill Id' go with either underworld or outer rim (he is proficient in tusken language and knws how to dela with them...not a common feat i think), probably he has both. Why Survival?

Yeah, but we only see him really use Brawl once or twice, and some of that could be chalked up to simple Brawn and maybe a rank. A lot of what forms my opinion is looking at how to build the character, and trying to narrow down how many skills he has. Melee we see him use more frequently with the knife and prod. I'll give more feedback later, but can't right now.

7 hours ago, Lareg said:

For Knowledge, Outer Rim is a good idea and one that had not occurred to me. I'd suggest you only take one of the two, and only if it's a career skill, because with only 2 Intellect you'd have to have a fairly high skill rank in order to be very good at it. 1 rank is good flavor though.

Because Survival is what you use to track in this game. He also seems pretty generally competent in the wilderness. I might actually use Survival for dealing with Tuskens rather than Knowledge (Outer Rim).

As for Piloting (Planetary), he doesn't use it all that much. A high Agility is enough for a jetpack, really, unless you're going to be doing fancy things with it because you'll only need it in a pinch. At the moment, he hasn't really used it for more than transportation, under circumstances that wouldn't require a skill check.