The High Republic Launch

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

**** the Jedi in general. 😆

Edited by Jo Jo

A lot of stuff I'm interested. Sold on Charles Soule, of course. And Claudia Grey is a insta buy. That manga looks cool.

I don't know... this Jedi Order thing is one of the stuff in Star Wars that attract me the least... And I don't like this "high tech" Star Wars that exists outside the OT/The Mandalorian.

I think I will skip the High Republic entirely.

Easy pass.

This is honestly about as easy to pass up as... Well something else easy to pass.

Should've been post ST.

I've gotten a few chapters into Light of the Jedi. That cast is a little too large, but we will see how that goes further on.

But so, I really love the setting. It is a wonderful setting. The Jedi are very different than what we see in the PT. Even the Republic.

And the designs are freakin fantastic. Such better than the standard "let's make Obi-wan's costume from ANH the standard for everyone". So much more individuality. And fancy. Plus some really, really cool new saber designs.

Plus, there is something really cool thematically about Jedi needing their sabers in order to operate their fighter's weapons.

6 hours ago, Sithborg said:

I've gotten a few chapters into Light of the Jedi. That cast is a little too large, but we will see how that goes further on.

But so, I really love the setting. It is a wonderful setting. The Jedi are very different than what we see in the PT. Even the Republic.

And the designs are freakin fantastic. Such better than the standard "let's make Obi-wan's costume from ANH the standard for everyone". So much more individuality. And fancy. Plus some really, really cool new saber designs.

Plus, there is something really cool thematically about Jedi needing their sabers in order to operate their fighter's weapons.

Oh, how's that work?

They literally stick their saber into the port on the console and ignite it.

3 hours ago, Sithborg said:

They literally stick their saber into the port on the console and ignite it.

That-

Okay so like does the blade power it? Does... Like... Do they -

hm.

Tell me more this is weird.

Apparently it does power the weapons, because you can have a saber able to adjust the power of the weapons. The bit that I read so far is less on the technical side of things, but on the philosophical side of why they have such a system. I suspect a lot of what we see in Light of the Jedi is going to be mainly setting the table of the era.

On 1/9/2021 at 4:08 PM, Sithborg said:

Apparently it does power the weapons, because you can have a saber able to adjust the power of the weapons. The bit that I read so far is less on the technical side of things, but on the philosophical side of why they have such a system. I suspect a lot of what we see in Light of the Jedi is going to be mainly setting the table of the era.

That's so dumb... But so perfectly Jedi. "Let's make it problematic to protect ourselves."

Gah.

35 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

That's so dumb... But so perfectly Jedi. "Let's make it problematic to protect ourselves."

Gah.

That's the thing. The Jedi of the High Republic are the Jedi we expected to see in the PT. The passage that sold me on it has nothing to do with protecting the Jedi.

Weapons on a Vector could only be operated with a lightsaber key, a way to ensure that they were not used by non-Jedi, and that every time they were used, it was a well considered action.

And additional advantage-- the ships laser could be scaled up or down via a toggle on the control sticks. Not every shot had to kill. They could disable, warn...every option was available to them

in the first half of the book, Soule has done more for integrating the lightsaber into Jedi philosophy than most others. There are philosophical reasons why the lightsaber goes with a Jedi, beyond just the union of Jedi and Kyber crystal. There is a degree of caring to the Jedi in the High Republic that is lacking in the PT that I absolutely love. It is going to be heartbreaking watching the evolution of the Jedi and the Republic into what we see in the PT.

25 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

That's the thing. The Jedi of the High Republic are the Jedi we expected to see in the PT. The passage that sold me on it has nothing to do with protecting the Jedi.

Weapons on a Vector could only be operated with a lightsaber key, a way to ensure that they were not used by non-Jedi, and that every time they were used, it was a well considered action.

And additional advantage-- the ships laser could be scaled up or down via a toggle on the control sticks. Not every shot had to kill. They could disable, warn...every option was available to them

in the first half of the book, Soule has done more for integrating the lightsaber into Jedi philosophy than most others. There are philosophical reasons why the lightsaber goes with a Jedi, beyond just the union of Jedi and Kyber crystal. There is a degree of caring to the Jedi in the High Republic that is lacking in the PT that I absolutely love. It is going to be heartbreaking watching the evolution of the Jedi and the Republic into what we see in the PT.

Well, yeah that's interesting. I still maintain that this should have been post ST. Legacy of the Skywalker saga and all, but, it's neat to see that honestly.

Finished Light of the Jedi. Really enjoyed it, and am really loving the setting. The Nihil are great new villains. And the Jedi are great.

Even more amazing designs at the end. Another wookiee jedi. Looks to be a species of Asajj Ventress with Dark Rey's saber and white blades. And a samurai jedi.

Can't wait to see this KK dumpster fire disappear like Jake Skywalker's ghost.

Explain how this is a "dumpster fire". Quite frankly, it is a smarter project than NJO, or LOTF, or other Star Wars publishing initiatives. It has a lot of different things for different people. This is the Jedi everyone wants and dreamt about. And the designs are amazing, even if you don't get to see a lot of them in some of the things. Its an era that hasn't been explored, even in the old EU stuff. It is not rewriting or cribbing off of KOTOR. ****, they are clearly also seem to taking tidbits from the old EU, what with Yoda and his space ship school for younglings.

Light of the Jedi is not perfect, but it is still a great book. Charles Soule and Claudia Gray are great authors to have, better than most of what we got back in the old EU.

I'm also sure that you will also decry Mandalorian and all the various other TV shows as part of Kennedy's "dumpster fire". This is a publication effort, something I imagine Kennedy is a bit less hands on with.

Read something from this project before you denounce it. Luckily, unlike projects like this in the past, there will be a wide variety of different stuff to try.

19 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Explain how this is a "dumpster fire". Quite frankly, it is a smarter project than NJO, or LOTF, or other Star Wars publishing initiatives. It has a lot of different things for different people. This is the Jedi everyone wants and dreamt about. And the designs are amazing, even if you don't get to see a lot of them in some of the things. Its an era that hasn't been explored, even in the old EU stuff. It is not rewriting or cribbing off of KOTOR. ****, they are clearly also seem to taking tidbits from the old EU, what with Yoda and his space ship school for younglings.

Light of the Jedi is not perfect, but it is still a great book. Charles Soule and Claudia Gray are great authors to have, better than most of what we got back in the old EU.

I'm also sure that you will also decry Mandalorian and all the various other TV shows as part of Kennedy's "dumpster fire". This is a publication effort, something I imagine Kennedy is a bit less hands on with.

Read something from this project before you denounce it. Luckily, unlike projects like this in the past, there will be a wide variety of different stuff to try.

Anything -- ANYTHING -- produced by KK and Harvey Weinstein's minion is by definition a dumpster fire. An intergalactic dumpster fire of misandry, leukophobia and ultra-extreme wokeness. It will die on the vine, and deservedly so.

For the entertainment of anyone who may be considering SW:HR, I recommend the following:

Star Wars High Republic | The Very VERY High Republic | A PARODY - YouTube

Star Wars: THE HIGH REPUBLIC Twitter Drama BACKFIRES on Lucasfilm?! - YouTube

Edited by Firebird TMK

You understand Kennedy produced The Mandalorian, right? Probably was a bit more hands than with a book publishing inititiative.

I don't understand the "woke" complaint. You don't want the Jedi to be heroes? You don't think the Jedi order should have a wide range of members? Frankly, the best thing LFL has done since the sale was bringing in a bunch of new talent for the books.