Board Game Geek - Profile Setup

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Since these forums will be closing soon, I created an account on Board Game Geek. The interface is beyond terrible. Like I really, really hate it. Makes me appreciate these very clean FFG forums all the more.

But okay, must accept the new reality. Trying to embrace a positive mindset.

Do you guys have any quick tips on how to set up a BBG profile so that I can follow new posts specifically for AHLCG? I don't really have any interest in doing anything else on BBG.

I made the initial attempt at setting up a profile on my own. But I instantly felt like I was gnashing my head on rocks.

Positive mindset, accept change, must keep trying... 😣

I don't have much to say on profiles per se but if you got to here: AHLCG Forums it will take you to the forum posts overview...which is where I normally go first. At the lefthand side just under the main menu bar you should see something called Quickbar. Hit one of the '+' symbols under this and it will give you a link to the forum that you can get to quickly from anywhere on BGG when you're logged in.

See you there.

In addition to setting up a bookmark and/or quick link in the side bar, some useful things to know are:

- while on the forums page for a specific forum (e.g for Arkham LCG : https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205637/arkham-horror-card-game/forums/0 ) you can click on "subscribe" in order to get have the top nav bar for BGG notify you when there are new threads started for the game. This top nav bar is stable no matter where you are on BGG and allows you to see new posts for multiple games you may be interested in (e.g other Arkham files games). Side note: you can also subscribe to when new files are posted, images, etc.

- the above trick will only tell you about NEW threads. If there is particular thread that you find interesting then you will want to click on the "subscribe" button for that thread in order to be notified when there are new posts for the thread. Again, this is handled via the top nav bar for the site.

Last, you can always unsubscribe from a game or thread if you are no longer interested in it.

Hope this helps

Edited by ricedwlit
clarification

The big thing that I found improved my quality of life reading the forums on BGG was to set them to sort by “Active”, which I don’t think is the default - or at least wasn’t when I started using BBG. This is found between the “Forums” heading and the “New Post” button (at least with the display I’m using).

This sorts topics by when the most recent post was (exactly like the FFG forums do) rather than, if memory serves, by when the topic was created.

There is a better way to subscribe to updates.

From inside any thread you can click on “Forums” in the breadcrumbs at the top of the thread (e.g. Arkham Horror: The Card Game > Forums > General). This takes you to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/205637/arkham-horror-card-game

From here you can see all the forums and subscribe to any or all. This will give you notifications (in the top nav bar) when there is any new post, even on existing threads.

Clicking the notification icon takes you to the following page where you can see all unread posts:

https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions