Alternative forum?

By DwainDibbly, in Star Wars: Legion

Is there any alternative forum for Legion given this one is shutting down?

I won't use facebook/reddit so groups on there are a no-go and discord (which I do use) is not imo a suitable alternatives to this forum, although fine for more real time chat. Does anyone know of or run a "traditional" forum that has a legion board? Anyone planning to set one up?

Also anyone thought about archiving the rules discussions as there's a lot of useful information in there. Shame it's all going away.

Edited by DwainDibbly

Board Game Geek is a place that has been around longer than these forums and several users have already migrated there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233571/star-wars-legion/forums/0

There's pages with info, forums, files, videos and more for just about every table top game you can think of.

Had a look at that but it seems to just be a single forum for all legion topics. I was hoping for something with a few more categories similar to this one.

I've just joined the Star Wars Legion Discord channel and other than being a bit jumbled, it's not bad. I feel that's just my inexperience with Discord, though.

17 hours ago, DwainDibbly said:

Had a look at that but it seems to just be a single forum for all legion topics. I was hoping for something with a few more categories similar to this one.

There's quite a few different topic sections on the left:

PgPQ5AR.png

In addition, you can see all the other cool stuff on the top with images, files, etc.

You could try the reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/SWlegion/

Not really a true forum but its active and helpful.

I think the Board Game Geek forums will be the closest thing we'll find to what we've had here on FFG. It won't be exactly the same but my hope is that a critical mass of this community will be able to move over there and it'll continue to be a place where I can lurk and get great ideas, inspiration, and entertainment! See you over on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233571/star-wars-legion/forums/0

I'm andrewattheu on those forums, hope to see you all there

Armada player here.

I've finished designing a new forum using Wix and initial users seem reasonably satisfied with the results so far.

If one of you wants to do something like that, it's fairly quick and easy to set up compared to what I assume most site design entails.

Not looking for another project personally, but would be happy to take questions.

BGG has even less regular posting than this forum does.

13 hours ago, Ilostmycactus said:

BGG has even less regular posting than this forum does.

Though it may have a lot more if many of the posters from this forum migrate there.

Another plug for Dakkadakka.com. We have a dedicated FFG sub forum already (https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/forums/show/29.page) and we offer free image hosting for wargaming images. Our P&M forums are very well used and we have a lot of fantastic artists who are always willing to offer constructive feedback. Though we are primarily seen as a 40K site it would awesome if more people could get involved with posting on legion and get that forum thriving again!

With the amount of split this is going to cause, not sure I'll bother atm. Will see in time if people converge on a single new home. None of the options look all that good as a replacement.

I might just bid farewell to forums, it'll save me some time each day/week :) Avoids getting sucked into buying new expansions when they're discussed too, especially as I've already got quite a few still to build/paint and play any games with too, so I guess silver lining and all that. Maybe a year down the line we'll see a new forum somewhere get some traction.

In the mean time, since these forums will be gone soon, enjoyed reading everyones posts over the last couple of years and especially the discussions in the rules forums. Hope you all find a new home.

Edited by DwainDibbly

Out of all the alternatives that are available I think the most active ones are: the Legion Facebook group, Legion subreddit and discord. BBG Legion forum rarely get any new posts and the one on Dakkadakka has even less new posts.

I'm quite disappointed in how AMG is handling this situation(in which they didn't handle it at all). It would be a great thing for them to show that they are serious about keeping and building the SW community by immediately creating a place for us in their forums but they haven't done so. Aside from the initial announcement, AMG really hasn't done anything to make me feel optimistic in how they will handle X-Wing, Legion and Armada.

6 hours ago, XKrieg said:

I'm quite disappointed in how AMG is handling this situation(in which they didn't handle it at all). It would be a great thing for them to show that they are serious about keeping and building the SW community by immediately creating a place for us in their forums but they haven't done so. Aside from the initial announcement, AMG really hasn't done anything to make me feel optimistic in how they will handle X-Wing, Legion and Armada.

To be fair, they may not have a choice.

If you have 10 workers doing a job and doing it well to get one game out (and boy were they getting it out - they had 30+ releases last year ) and then you dump 3 very different games on top of that which essentially doubles or triples their work and yet you expect them to be media promoters on all levels, IT guys, game designers, and still have time for their families, etc. I don't think anyone is being fair to them. Not to mention all of it happened essentially right before Christmas holidays. I'm sure they are all overwhelmed.

One of the reasons Asmodee did this is they were disappointed with the lack of Star Wars items. They're paying this huge star wars IP tax and getting what, 20 items released from Legion, 4 from Armada and maybe 10 from X-wing ? There may be some I'm missing , but AMG was out - producing all of the Star Wars miniatures content. I'm sure this has something to do with the move.

But it's going to take more than 3 weeks to acclimate and figure out how to do their job. Some of these guys may not have ever played X-wing, Legion or Armada, and most of the previous guys are not with them anymore.

You can scream at Asmodee all you want, but its not really fair to the AMG people.

You'll get stuff (including information) but it would be stupid to say something without having a clue of what your talking about.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

You'll get stuff (including information) but it would be stupid to say something without having a clue of what your talking about.

Physician, heal thyself.

The conversation is about the forums specifically, and regardless of how busy AMG are or how surprised they were by Asmodee shifting the Star Wars product stack over to them, the idea they're genuinely incapable of having whoever it is who runs their backend take a couple of hours to add some additional subforums to the forum they already have for the Marvel stuff and post a news article letting people know it exists is either comically absurd, or genuinely worrying for the future of Legion.

If anyone at Asmodee were taking this seriously, they'd have been working with AMG to migrate the entire related forums as they exist here, topics and accounts and all, across to a new domain, but even given Asmodee evidently don't give a hoot it's entirely within AMG's own power to take the initiative and at least get a new space up, running, and publicised so criticising them for not doing so is entirely valid.

Edited by Yodhrin
12 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Physician, heal thyself.

I'm saying it would be stupid for the person who had a game dumped on them, to say something about the game (especially if they hadn't had a chance to play it but a few times themselves)

I also think that people who post on forums have a deluded sense of what game designers do for a living, who they are and how much power or say they have in any of this.

You're assuming they have someone to do that or that any of these people are organized at all.

16 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

If anyone at Asmodee were taking this seriously, they'd have been working with AMG to migrate the entire related forums as they exist here, topics and accounts and all, across to a new domain, but even given Asmodee evidently don't give a hoot it's entirely within AMG's own power to take the initiative and at least get a new space up, running, and publicised so criticising them for not doing so is entirely valid.

Once again, you're assuming that there is someone at Asmodee that does take this seriously or how they are organized.

Asmodee may only have hired out someone to build their own website. They may only be an office with bean counters and business suits and may still be out for holiday and the only one in office is the administrative assistants.

Literally for the last 2 months all I've seen online is "Whoa is me! the sky is Falling! No one will tell us anything about Star Wars Miniatures games!"

This is the way they've always been, at least for the last 5 years, whether its FFG or Asmodee or whoever. Expecting something to radically change, especially when we don't even know if they've hired people to run the Star Wars games is wishful thinking at best.

No one in charge of these games has ever been forthcoming with information (if you've been around long enough, you'll remember the waiting on the boat threads) - - I wouldn't hold your breath or bother posting on a "DEAD FORUM" expecting an answer

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

I'm saying it would be stupid for the person who had a game dumped on them, to say something about the game (especially if they hadn't had a chance to play it but a few times themselves)

I also think that people who post on forums have a deluded sense of what game designers do for a living, who they are and how much power or say they have in any of this.

You're assuming they have someone to do that or that any of these people are organized at all.

Once again, you're assuming that there is someone at Asmodee that does take this seriously or how they are organized.

Asmodee may only have hired out someone to build their own website. They may only be an office with bean counters and business suits and may still be out for holiday and the only one in office is the administrative assistants.

Literally for the last 2 months all I've seen online is "Whoa is me! the sky is Falling! No one will tell us anything about Star Wars Miniatures games!"

This is the way they've always been, at least for the last 5 years, whether its FFG or Asmodee or whoever. Expecting something to radically change, especially when we don't even know if they've hired people to run the Star Wars games is wishful thinking at best.

No one in charge of these games has ever been forthcoming with information (if you've been around long enough, you'll remember the waiting on the boat threads) - - I wouldn't hold your breath or bother posting on a "DEAD FORUM" expecting an answer

Okay, so why is it you're deciding to air your grievances against other people's statements over the last two months here, in this thread specifically, which is not about that?

Yes, I am assuming they, AMG, have someone - either in house or contracted - to do this stuff, because again, they already have an extant and functional forum, so unless they conjured it from the ether with dark magicks there is a person who AMG could direct to spend a couple of hours adding some extra subforums to it. They could, at an absolute minimum in your scenario where they apparently take a month long festive holiday, indicate they have the intention to do so in the near future.

And no, I'm not assuming there is anyone at Asmodee taking it seriously, I thought that was plainly obvious from the formulation of the statement "If anyone at Asmodee were taking this seriously...".

Apparently I'm stupid for assuming that they dropped the ball for not making a new section in their forum for SW stuff. For assuming that they could've done something as easy as creating a new subforum? Okay mate, LMAO

Creating a new section in their forum for Star Wars stuff wouldn't even take more than 1 hour. It's not rocket science. No one expected their forum admin to know anything about Legion, X-Wing or Armada at all. Just make a subforum for each games and it's all done. Let the community have a place to talk.

But sure, AMG did no wrong here. Nothing at all.

Some people are so willing to bend over backwards for a company that doesn't even care about them it's so pathetic.

I wasn't even that worried when it was announced that AMG got the SW minis games and I am still not that worried even now. But is it too much to expect them to at least create a subforum for the games that they just got? to show the community that they do care about them? I didn't even say anything about this at the first 2 weeks of 2021. But after 19 days of 2021 I'd think people feel that it's kinda weird that AMG never say or do anything to alleviate the community's concern. Not the "oh no, we're all doomed, the games are all dead" type of "weird" but the "Huh, why didn't they make a new subforum, that's so easy to do and would show that they're welcoming the community".

Edited by XKrieg

Apprently AMG starting a Twitch stream for Star Wars content 3rd Feb.