Can use use Death Pack v Grim Reaper

By DrussUK, in Talisman Rules Questions

If you roll a 1 when the Grim Reaper lands on you "Lose all lives, you are killed." But the Death Pact spell says "Cast on yourself when you would lose any amount of life. Choose another character to lose that amount of life instead.....".

So does this work and assuming it does (because even though you can't use spells and items on the Grim Reaper this is a spell you cast on yourself "when you would lose any amount of life" - let's say you have 2 lives and you use Death Pact on a player with 4 lives does this mean they lose "all lives" or does it mean they only lose 2 because you would only have lost 2? Seems reasonable to me.

Views?

You cannot use the Death Pact spell when you are killed by an effect that specifically says you are killed. You don't lose any lives, you are killed outright. Now that I wrote that, thinking about it, the rules do not refer to being killed instantly. The first expansion allowing that is the Reaper and its rules do not mention that. So.. actually, it might work just like you say. The base game rules say that when you lose all your lives, you are killed, so analogically you lose all your lives when you are killed. Then if you play the Death Pact spell after having rolled 1 on the Reaper chart, you make another character lose the exact amount of lives you have at the moment. That's how I would play it.

Im a bit puzzled, if this is the exact spelling "Lose all lives, you are killed." (I didn’t search for the card to see for myself), then it says two things.

If we rule by “you are killed” Death pact won’t work. I’m fairly sure there are other spells/cards that says only ‘you are killed’ and they are commonly ruled this way.

If we rule by “loose all your lives” it would work.

I would play it by “you are killed”

3 hours ago, Cru4n said:

The base game rules say that when you lose all your lives, you are killed, so analogically you lose all your lives when you are killed.

This is an ‘Affirming the consequent’ logical fallacy :)

You can’t draw the conclusion that you lose all your lives when you are killed.

Well the card says precisely "Lose all lives, you are killed". Given the use of the comma i feel as though the "you are killed" follows as a consequence of the "lose all lives". And since Death Pact can be used "when you would lose any amount of life" (i.e. all or even just 1 if it would kill you) we did allow the use of this item and we made it so the number of lives lost matched the number it would have taken to kill the character affected by the Reaper (so 2 as it happens). So the Reaper then took 2 lives off the other character chosen.

If they wanted it to just kill you they should have just said "You are instantly killed" without reference to loss of life - trickier to tell if they had used a full stop and said "Lose all lives. You are killed" - but here we have a comma and it leads with losing lives which then (normally) causes you to be killed ............ unless you have a card you can play when you lose lives :P

Thanks for the feedback - there was an RP element to this in that it was the Merchant (who had previously bargained with the Reaper and rolled to reallocate him to another player) who was negotiating and playing the Death Pact card. All up i'm happy with this outcome - which must be kinda rare. Our Talisman games something last days and get pretty epic - this was no exception!

Good point on the comma, I wouldn't argue.

And happy to hear ppl are still playing this epic game:]

1 hour ago, DrussUK said:

Well the card says precisely "Lose all lives, you are killed". Given the use of the comma i feel as though the "you are killed" follows as a consequence of the "lose all lives". And since Death Pact can be used "when you would lose any amount of life" (i.e. all or even just 1 if it would kill you) we did allow the use of this item and we made it so the number of lives lost matched the number it would have taken to kill the character affected by the Reaper (so 2 as it happens). So the Reaper then took 2 lives off the other character chosen.

If they wanted it to just kill you they should have just said "You are instantly killed" without reference to loss of life - trickier to tell if they had used a full stop and said "Lose all lives. You are killed" - but here we have a comma and it leads with losing lives which then (normally) causes you to be killed ............ unless you have a card you can play when you lose lives :P

Thanks for the feedback - there was an RP element to this in that it was the Merchant (who had previously bargained with the Reaper and rolled to reallocate him to another player) who was negotiating and playing the Death Pact card. All up i'm happy with this outcome - which must be kinda rare. Our Talisman games something last days and get pretty epic - this was no exception!

Yeah, forgot it specifically says you lose all lives. Then the Death Pact is definitely usable.