Dragon Realm/Cataclysm (Corner Board with symbols)

By Pheonom, in Talisman Home Brews

My latest creation is now ready to share!

I have created a new corner board called the Dragon Realm/Cataclysm , which is designed to replace the Woodland corner board. As I'm now using the regular Talisman board, using the Cataclysm assets seemed perfect for this setting, and I've also added in my version 2.0 of the 'with symbols' system. I took some inspiration from an old (but great) Dragonland expansion that was made several years ago, but put my own spin on it.

This region was designed to be a more challenging area for players to explore, with many risk/reward spaces.

I've summarised some points below;

• I wanted a board that used the Dragon cards, without using the Dragon expansion itself.
  • Cards referencing Dragon Scales are removed/ignored.
  • 22 'draw a card' spaces.
  • 9 'do a thing' spaces.
  • 3 'boss' spaces.
  • The final boss is now 1 of the 3 Draconic Lords (Grilipus, Cadorus or Varthrax), which is decided at random via the Portal space just before them.
  • It's possible to exit the region via the Rock Hills space, which takes you out via the Graveyard . This allows players to 'test' the region early on, if they are feeling brave!
  • Each of the Dragon decks are represented by their matching symbols, and are each used 13 times on the board.
  • The / symbol means that the player can choose which deck to draw from.
  • There are also symbols for dice, fate, gold, strength, craft and life. This is designed to make it much quicker to see what you can do on a space.
  • I tried to be creative with some of the spaces, giving players more choices on how to spend gold or fate.

Please feel free to comment/critique as appropriate, as I'd love to hear your thoughts! 🙂

(you may need to download the image and rotate it to read the spaces)

Dragon-Cataclysm-PN.png

Edited by Pheonom

Ooh, very cool!

It looks great!

I have a couple thoughts about some of the spaces. On an 8, the Thicket teleports you to any Woods, causing the character to leave the Dragon Realm entirely since there are no Woods here. Getting kicked of the Region for an 8 seems a bit harsh.

The Grand Oasis, as a supercharged Waterfall, is a really good space. Probably too good. I think the player should have to give up something, like their next turn, to choose which of those benefits they get.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:27 AM, Reedstilt said:

I have a couple thoughts about some of the spaces. On an 8, the Thicket teleports you to any Woods, causing the character to leave the Dragon Realm entirely since there are no Woods here. Getting kicked of the Region for an 8 seems a bit harsh.

You can actually move to any Woods or Deepwoods space. I can see that 'or' part of the text does blend in with the numbers, so I'll fix that to be more readable. The general idea was to give players another option to exit the region if they wanted to (I like giving players choices), however I'd expect most to stay in the region and move to a Deepwoods space instead.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:27 AM, Reedstilt said:

The Grand Oasis, as a supercharged Waterfall, is a really good space. Probably too good. I think the player should have to give up something, like their next turn, to choose which of those benefits they get.

This space is all about incentive. The region isn't going to be easy with all the Dragon cards, and I wanted to have a space that was generally just really good for players to land on. The Grand Oasis is also quite deep into the region, and isn't something that players could easily exploit... or at least I hope not anyway! 😄

I really value comments/critique/other points of view, thank you for taking the time! 🙂

Actually the "or" is legible. I just expected the next line to be the 9 option and thought rolling a 9 sent you to the deep woods. Just noticed that 9 is actually the next line after that. That'll teach me to actually read the numbers and not just what I assume is the text of the roll.

And you raise a fair point about the dragon cards. I wasn't really considering the number of Strength/Craft 7+ enemies you'd be facing here. I'll have to take a look at the decks later and remind myself how monstrous this region is really going to be.

16 hours ago, Reedstilt said:

Actually the "or" is legible. I just expected the next line to be the 9 option and thought rolling a 9 sent you to the deep woods. Just noticed that 9 is actually the next line after that. That'll teach me to actually read the numbers and not just what I assume is the text of the roll.

I ended up adding a comma after the word Woods , which seems to do the job! 😊

In addition to the above corner board, I've also been working on an 'All Corners Mega Board with Symbols', which is nearly complete (I should have the Dragon Tower finished this week).

In preparation for that; I've also created an alternate ending, although I plan to use this as my 'main' ending. Below are all the same card, just with different artwork (but I can't decide which I prefer).

Dragon-King-Ending-1.png Dragon-King-Ending-2.png Dragon-King-Ending-3.png

The idea is to give players incentive to explore and defeat the bosses in each region, but without forcing them to. I also added the gold option to give players more reason to explore the City (by gaining lots of gold there).

Because getting to the Dragon King is a task in itself (the Dragon Tower uses Dragon cards), I didn't want to make it too difficult once there. I also wanted to give a small chance to other players to encounter the Dragon King if they were lagging behind a little. This could cause some interesting scenarios where a player in the Highlands gets teleported to the Portal of Power , which could be annoying for them... 🤔

There could also be a scenario where there is an encounter 'chain' if players keep getting 8-9 , which I'm undecided on at the moment, as it could make for a funny moment in the game! 😄

With that all said; I'm wondering if it's too easy and would work better increasing the number of dice rolled to 3 , so the boss/gold 'buffs' are useful, but not overpowered.

Any thoughts/suggestions are very welcome! 🙂

Edit: I've just had the idea of using all 3 pieces of art and having easy/medium/hard versions of the Dragon King. Easy = roll 1 dice, Medium = roll 2 dice, Hard = roll 3 dice. Or just have the same encounter table, with the numeric values altered for difficulty? Hmmm...

Edited by Pheonom

So I ended up re-hashing the Dragon King ending using 3 dice, and I think it will work better than the 2 dice variant (still needs to be tested though). Thoughts/comments welcome!

Dragon-King-Ending-0.png