Bounty Hunter ship needed (ideas?)

By angelman2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hey all,

I need a ship for a recuring (Gran) Bounty Hunter nemesis in my campaign. Thus far, the dude has shown up in planet surface encounters only, but I realize now that I need to build towards a future Space Combat encounter with said Bounty Hunter, too. There are a few requirements that need be fulfilled, and I'm drawing a blank here.

The ship neads to:
*Be iconic enough for the PCs to transfere all the dread they have towards the Bounty Hunter onto the craft whenever they see it (after it's first unwailing, of course). So, an YT-1300 with a cool paint job won't do.
*It shouldn't be too big. The Bounty Hunter operates primarily alone, although he has been known to keep various hired helpers and hanger-ons around so there could definitely be a couple of starship crewers in his sphere as well. Still, I want something relatively small (perhasp no larger than 100m or so in length) and managable.
*The ship needs to have a tractorbeam and facilities to capture and bring onboard at least one X-wing fighter (for upcoming story purposes).
*Finally, while not 100% required, I do prefere to use ships established in Canon or Legends, rathern than fanmade contributions, as with established stuff there's a chance that one or more of my players are already familiar with it or has feelings/opinions/concerns about it, which I can exploit and apply some subversion of expectations, etc.
*It can be an ancient or new ship, independent corp-buildt or stolen Imperial (or Rebel) craft, or whatever. Faction doesn't matter as long as the ship can logically exist around 1 ABY.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a cool Bounty Hunter craft fitting the above points? :)

Edited by angelman2

"Not too big" and "Is big enough to have a hangar for an X-Wing" seem to be somewhat contradictory.

What is too big? It's definitely way bigger than a YT-1300 or Firespray.

Edited by micheldebruyn

How well-read are your players? You could use the famous bounty hunters' ships (with a rename, or different loadout). The YV-666 (Hound's tooth - Bossk's ship) sounds like a good catch

Most of the ships I would recommend have a crew requirement of 2-5. Consider giving him some regular henchmen--if he's a Guild hunter they can be apprentice & journeymen hunters.

That said, the 4R3 from Dangerous Covenants is a great toy. It's intended as a Q-ship that masquerades as an unarmed light freighter then turns the tables on pirates. This lets a bounty hunter play it low key until ready to strike. It has hidden weaponry and a boarding tube (you could add the tractor beam) but couldn't hold an X-wing internally. It does have the option of holding up to 16 passengers (troops for boarding actions) and takes a crew of 5.

Thanks for the interest, guys :)

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

"Not too big" and "Is big enough to have a hangar for an X-Wing" seem to be somewhat contradictory.

What is too big? It's definitely way bigger than a YT-1300 or Firespray.

As I mentioned, perhaps 100m or so in length.
(X-Wings are 12.5m, YT-1300s are 35m, Firesprays are 21.5m high/long, C-Roc Gozantis are 74m... Shouldn't be much larger than that)

1 hour ago, Rimsen said:

How well-read are your players? You could use the famous bounty hunters' ships (with a rename, or different loadout). The YV-666 (Hound's tooth - Bossk's ship) sounds like a good catch

They're better-read then myself, some of them ;) I don't really know the TV-666, but I like the look of it. Would that one have a tractorbeam capable of capturing an X-wing?

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

Most of the ships I would recommend have a crew requirement of 2-5. Consider giving him some regular henchmen--if he's a Guild hunter they can be apprentice & journeymen hunters.

That said, the 4R3 from Dangerous Covenants is a great toy. It's intended as a Q-ship that masquerades as an unarmed light freighter then turns the tables on pirates. This lets a bounty hunter play it low key until ready to strike. It has hidden weaponry and a boarding tube (you could add the tractor beam) but couldn't hold an X-wing internally. It does have the option of holding up to 16 passengers (troops for boarding actions) and takes a crew of 5.

Journeymen & apprentice crewmembers to man the ship works perfectly. Thanks! :)

Tractorbeam-grabbing the X-wing and move it in position for the boarding tube would also work fine :D (I need the Bounty Hunter to capture a PC-favored NPC mid-major battle to set up an arch for Act 3 of our campaign; the Bounty Hunter could safely ditch the X-wing after apprahending the pilot). Any idea what the ship looks like?

Edited by angelman2

In technical game terms to actually dock a X-wing in a hangar is a pretty big. If game RAW are essential you'd need to prioritize between the notion of 'not big' or 'hangar for X-wing'.

If you aren't concerned with RAW then the sky's the limit.

Some concept art for Han's ship TFA.

3000_Veh_Freighter_131018_Blockout_v005_

3000_Veh_Freighter_131018_Blockout_v005_

0000_Veh_PilotsWhale_131031_Whale_v003_0

13 hours ago, angelman2 said:

Any idea what the ship looks like?

The 4R3 looks like an inconspicuous light freighter. Unfortunately, it's so mundane in appearance that FFG never bothered to depict it. Sorry.

Ok, so at the moment of writing (since I'm considering using X-Wing Miniature Game figures for this space battle and I happen to have access to the relevant models), I think I'll be using the YV-666 for my iconic Bounty Hunter.

I'm assuming these stats are correct: https://star-wars-rpg-ffg.fandom.com/wiki/YV-666_Light_Freighter

UPGRADING THE SHIP
I need to outfit the ship with at least one Tractor Beam. We haven't done much ship modifying in my group yet, so bear with me here...
--The YV-666 is a Silhouette 4 ship, meaning it can only have Light Tractor Beams installed (Tractor 2)

--The YV-666 is already rather lightly armed so I don't want to take away guns to replace them with Tractor Beams. The YV-666 has HP6, so I can add a couple of Light Tractor Beams to it at the cost of 1 HP each. =Let's say, two such TBs (-2HP), one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot to operate in tandem. (Using house rules, I'll allow the second TB to upgrade the first one's Tractor rating once, assuming they both hit, of course).

• Question: Is there a way to "Link" Tractor Beams for greater effect? (If I, say, upgrade the ship with 4 Light TBs?). And if so, how does "Linked" work with Tractor Beams?

--The YV-666 has a very slow Hyperdrive, so I'll add a Hyper Space Generator (-1HP) and let it be modded once to bring the Bounty Hunter's ship's Hyperdrive Class down to 1.

--I'll also add a Sienar T9 Stinger Assault Boarding Tube (-3 HP) to facilitate the extraction of the pilot NPC from his Tractor Beam-grabbed X-wing.

Thoughts on this outfitting?

Context: The Bounty Hunter is going to flit like a vulture around the edges of a Rebels vs. Imp space battle, an snap up an NPC when his ship gets disabled.

Edited by angelman2