Whats the use of a high piloting skill?

By player5767340, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

In a game I'm looking to play at the group's pilot. We got a lot of starting exp and we're all suppose to be playing force powered characters.
So I decided to go with the shistavens, and managed to bump my AGI to 5. I picked one of the best speeders in my opinion, Incom T-16 Skyhopper with its 4 speed and +3 manuverability (and then stuck a gun on it) I'll have a lot of dice to do things, but what can I do exactly? From my understanding I'll be rolling YYGGGUUU most of the time, but the ship is pretty frail looking, Evasive maneuvers only seems to add one upgraded difficulty but then what?

They can't shoot you if you are out of range!

And you will probably win the opposing piloting check for chase.

Fly for the asteroids...they'd be crazy to follow you in....

Edited by 2P51

Per normal raw it's a bummer that there not as much use in having a really good piloting skill.

I've been really satisfied with the Piloting checks from Genesys, so the Difficulty is equal to the Silhouette of the Ship you're flying and upgraded by current Speed.
Then a really high Piloting Skill gets pretty valuable.

Although as per normal RAW there is still alot of value in a high Piloting Skill for Dogfights (Gain the Advantage and other daring Piloting Maneuvers).

Genesys:

Difficulty of Sil 4 Ship at Speed 4: RPPP

Difficulty of Sil 3 Ship at Speed 5: RRP

Star Wars:

Difficulty of Sil 4 Ship at Speed 4: RRPP

Difficulty of Sil 3 Ship at Speed 5: RRPPP

So, it's actually harder to make many Piloting checks in Star Wars.

Regardless, there should always be Setbacks, because most checks only need to be made in dangerous situations (yes, there is Skilled Jockey to remove those Setbacks).

As a GM, I've allowed Piloting in place of Stealth to try and hide, so there are other uses.

Also, I've seen YYYYYGBPPP checks fail...

yeah, I've played shadowrun, and even if you drop a bathtub of dice, you could still lose to a dude with a single die

Piloting is more useful for chases than straight-up vehiclular combat. IME, most vehicle scenes in this game revolve around winning a chase (to catch someone or avoid being caught). When it comes to straight-up vehicular combat, Piloting skill gets as much use as blocking does in a Rocky movie (i.e., barely any), so do what Rocky does and just keep swinging as hard as you can for as long as you can while taking what the other guy throws right on your face.

Running away from things. Not running into things.

16 hours ago, False God said:

Running away from things. Not running into things.

Don't forget "chasing after things" because you're not always the prey; sometimes you get to play the hunter.

It also becomes more useful if you have pilot specs. Things like Corellian Send off involve pilot checks.