Conversation Migration

By Doji Hyōkin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

So, with these forums shutting down at the end of next month, is the r/l5r subreddit the agreed upon landing spot?

The other option would be the L5R Discord, which is quite busy:

https://discord.gg/zXB4GpnU

GOD I hate Discord. Think I'll be on the subreddit... since all attempts to keep actual forums alive seem doomed to failure.

1 hour ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

GOD I hate Discord. Think I'll be on the subreddit... since all attempts to keep actual forums alive seem doomed to failure.

Funny I feel the exact same thing about Reddit which is why I've been spending more time on the Discord recently

On 12/23/2020 at 12:00 AM, Tonbo Karasu said:

The other option would be the L5R Discord, which is quite busy:

https://discord.gg/zXB4GpnU

Do you have a Discord invite that's valid?

1 hour ago, Mangod said:

Do you have a Discord invite that's valid?

This one should remain valid until the forum closes:

https://discord.gg/Hp42YkD5V2

I'm neither a fan of Discord or Reddit...

I'm screwed.

3 hours ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

I'm neither a fan of Discord or Reddit...

I'm screwed.

Facebook it is, enjoy

I've been on the Discord for a while; I guess I'll need to get in the habit of checking Reddit, too. Though it really feels like the story & lore discussions get buried there, at least when I've gone looking.

10 minutes ago, Kinzen said:

I've been on the Discord for a while; I guess I'll need to get in the habit of checking Reddit, too. Though it really feels like the story & lore discussions get buried there, at least when I've gone looking.

That's part of my problem, honestly.

Discord has a place for it, but the presentation makes my ****** eyes bleed.
Reddit is... reddit.

RPG Geek?

The forums there are 'classical' forums.

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

RPG Geek?

At this point we can definitively say that the RPG is contributing to the canon lore, so there’s that.

So with the pending shutdown of the forums, what do people here think of making a separate Lore L5r reddit?

My initial thought is that making a separate L5R Lore reddit would allow for everyone to discuss the story without it getting buried.

I think that it would also allow for the pining of the new FFG lore timeline for easy access by all.

1 hour ago, Vulcan646 said:

So with the pending shutdown of the forums, what do people here think of making a separate Lore L5r reddit?

My initial thought is that making a separate L5R Lore reddit would allow for everyone to discuss the story without it getting buried.

I think that it would also allow for the pining of the new FFG lore timeline for easy access by all.

It's not a bad idea. Are you willing and able to create it?

I tried, but can't follow discord stuff to answer 4th edition rpg questions...

7 hours ago, okuma said:

I tried, but can't follow discord stuff to answer 4th edition rpg questions...

When you enter into the L5R discord, go to the #welcome-channel. There is a questionnaire that allows you access to different channels. When you get to the question entitled "What L5R products do you enjoy playing and talking about?" , select the RPG option to gain access to #legacy-l5r, which is a channel dedicated to talking about earlier editions of the RPG product. You may have to agree to the server rules first before you can begin selecting channels in the #welcome-channel .

Edited by igorhorst
18 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

It's not a bad idea. Are you willing and able to create it?

Since there seems to be interest, I'll be making a sub reddit for this tonight.

I'll post an update here once the details have been ironed out.

16 hours ago, igorhorst said:

When you enter into the L5R discord, go to the #welcome-channel. There is a questionnaire that allows you access to different channels. When you get to the question entitled "What L5R products do you enjoy playing and talking about?" , select the RPG option to gain access to #legacy-l5r, which is a channel dedicated to talking about earlier editions of the RPG product. You may have to agree to the server rules first before you can begin selecting channels in the #welcome-channel .

I did that, but the way discussion goes, I have to go through 50 messages to find one to which I can give any useful reply, and it is posted in the middle of another discussion on another subject... I have a hard time following this kind of system, instead of one thread.

Huh, just went over the last five years' worth of my stuff here...

And it's very, very telling how things dropped off. From 2015-2017, even in times of almost no story, we had multiple lively discussions going on. But starting in 2017 and through 2018... woof.

Why not both?
I like Discord for discussing, while Reddit lets me do a bit more thinking and see posts without having to scroll through a bunch of stuff.

I would prefer a forum. The X-wing community is migrating to BGG. Isn't there another forum for L5R?

3 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

I would prefer a forum. The X-wing community is migrating to BGG. Isn't there another forum for L5R?

A lot of attempts at clan forums have been made, but went under.

And running a forum (vetting registrations moderating, all of that) can be pretty annoying if you do it on avolunteer basis...

Like, i would love a forum, and I even know how to whip up messageboards on ProBoards in under an hour, but RUNNING one is a pain I don't particularly want.

So, time's almost up. Is there any consensus on where the community is migrating to?

2 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

So, time's almost up. Is there any consensus on where the community is migrating to?

I'm over at CourtGames , because I'm a forum guy.