Independent Star Wars Armada/X-wing/Legion Forum

By NairoD, in Star Wars: Armada

Hi all

Many of us dont have, dont use or cannot (as I) have social media accounts.

What do you think about independent forum for all of us? It will save us our precious community and will make us independent from actions such as this one we are faceing now. We could evean grab our friends from X wing and Legion communies (part of us play those games) and make our Star Wars FFG games orphants our new home.

I dont have proper knowledge (and time - new member of my family is on the way) to place it somwhere but will be more than happy to donate server space.

For man who will put server I offer my gratitude and all my promo cards I own from 2015-2019 tournaments

Lets start talk about this as we had only 1 month to grab our community to travel at our new home

Edited by NairoD

...Let me get back to you on this.

BoardGameGeek has forums for the games (I started there myself when I found Armada). They were not very popular or up to date then (though I learnt a great deal from @Norsehound 's guides).

However it's established, convenient and stable.

7 hours ago, NairoD said:

Hi all

Many of us dont have, dont use or cannot (as I) have social media accounts.

What do you think about independent forum for all of us? It will save us our precious community and will make us independent from actions such as this one we are faceing now. We could evean grab our friends from X wing and Legion communies (part of us play those games) and make our Star Wars FFG games orphants our new home.

I dont have proper knowledge (and time - new member of my family is on the way) to place it somwhere but will be more than happy to donate server space.

For man who will put server I offer my gratitude and all my promo cards I own from 2015-2019 tournaments

Lets start talk about this as we had only 1 month to grab our community to travel at our new home

It's very easy to:

• Use software like HTTrack to dl and preserve the entire old FFG forum (or a specific sub-forum).
    • EDIT: DL speed is ATROCIOUS.
  • Set up an independent forum.

My big question is: how many would use such a forum?

What would really be awesomesauce: if FFG downloaded the forum db and handed it over. Then we could actually rebuild the forum elsewhere.

Edited by Green Knight

@Green Knight this is a very good idea. Only problem may be data security, since the DB contains private user information like valid email addresses that must not be given away without confirmation by each user. But maybe it is okay if each user gets an email informing him he has either to delete his account or his data will be given away to a third party. Or every user gets a private number. Personal data (except nicks and the number) will totaly be deleted and the users can reregister using the given number.

13 minutes ago, Goerrit said:

@Green Knight this is a very good idea. Only problem may be data security, since the DB contains private user information like valid email addresses that must not be given away without confirmation by each user. But maybe it is okay if each user gets an email informing him he has either to delete his account or his data will be given away to a third party. Or every user gets a private number. Personal data (except nicks and the number) will totaly be deleted and the users can reregister using the given number.

I would not be possible to reuse old login information - ppl would have to create new users on whatever platform is migrated to.

But the db could become the basis for the historical part of the forum.

Then it is no problem. I won't mind to reregister completely and it should not be a problem to clear old user data, except the user's id (primary key) and it's username (maybe updates to add a suffix like "_OLD"). Sounds good for me!

I've also tried to reach out to AMG re their forum (and other things).

But I understand they have taken the rest of the year off.

42 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I've also tried to reach out to AMG re their forum (and other things).

But I understand they have taken the rest of the year off.

Have you got an automatic response or is that your conclusion?

8 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

Have you got an automatic response or is that your conclusion?

I read it on their FB page.

As I've already mentioned when I contacted AMG.
They don't know what they will be doing, but they are aware of whats going on.