Reminder: BoardGameGeek has active forums for rules/strategy/variants/etc for Armada

By xanderf, in Star Wars: Armada

Link to BGG forums, now that these are being retired:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163745/star-wars-armada/forums/0

...and note that within forum sections, you can sort (upper right corner) by 'hot' (popularity of threads), 'recent' (when it started) or 'active' (latest posts).

TONS easier to post images there, too! Hope to see y'all over there...

If interested in following BGG for Armada - I'd recommend creating an account and then clicking the 'subscribe' link in the banner of the 'Armada' page:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163745/star-wars-armada

BGG sort of makes you work to earn your avatars/microbadges/etc by contributing content (or I guess donating to the site - but contributing quality content is certainly cheaper!), and I'll be posting a contest giving away a bunch of the site's "geekgold" (the currency used to get the avatars and whatnot) in a day or so, which would be a WAY easier way to get an avatar!

just checked the link

site look very messy, no subforums (or I dont know where to find them), not for me as I prefer classic forum look

Edited by NairoD
24 minutes ago, NairoD said:

just checked the link

site look very messy, no subforums (or I dont know where to find them), not for me as I prefer classic forum look

pic5869276.png

Think more "Wikipedia" + improved forums + social network?

Edited by xanderf
14 hours ago, NairoD said:

just checked the link

BGG looks hideous.

1 hour ago, Ilostmycactus said:

BGG looks hideous.

It’s not easy on the eyes, but it’s a great resource.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I've posted on BGG and use it as a resource myself, but it's one ugly and difficult to navigate website (especially on mobile). I understand people wanting to organize an exodus to somewhere, but there have got to be better options than BGG. Even the subreddit is much better than BGG.

I gave bgg a look and don’t think it’s the right fit for me. I’m hoping amg does the right thing and opens up a forum for exactly like this one (and hope that they will participate more in the conversation as well)

1 hour ago, Snipafist said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I've posted on BGG and use it as a resource myself, but it's one ugly and difficult to navigate website (especially on mobile). I understand people wanting to organize an exodus to somewhere, but there have got to be better options than BGG. Even the subreddit is much better than BGG.

Yeah. Same.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, Snipafist said:

BGG is clunky to get used to, but once you do it really is vastly better than most traditional forums.

I get that isn't straightforward to see - but it retains all the advantages of a forum like this, from standard forum threads, notification and subscription options, replies and formatting, sub-forums, direct messaging, post rating and tipping, etc. It just has SO MANY OTHER FEATURES that it can seem a bit overwhelming how much more it does. And you can ignore most of that, if you want - although if you dig into that a bit, it's really pretty amazing. Especially the cross-game things, if you are into gaming beyond one title. "Geeklists", for example, where users can add entries to a themed list with explanations why.

For example - this year I've become a HUGE fan of the 'solitaire game on your table' lists, where users post what they are playing on their own each month. For example, this month: Solitaire Games On Your Table - December 2020 | BoardGameGeek

...and I've even thrown 'Armada' into the mix of those, now and then: Solitaire Games On Your Table — February 2020 | BoardGameGeek

But the treasure trove of HOSTING content it offers - from one place to find all images of a game (rather than sorting through a million Imgur links or Reddit threads or Google Drive links or etc), all important files for a game like important errata (ESPECIALLY critical once a game actually DOES get entirely dropped by its publisher - everything posted publicly for it still remains on BGG!), community-driven NEW content, links to videos and blog posts, etc.

It's clunky, because it's acting as a source of content of so many different things for all games on top of being a top-notch forum.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, Ilostmycactus said:

BGG looks hideous.

I guess you could say..."She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

TL;DR The aesthetic may be poor, but perhaps using BGG a bit as a test drive so we are not judging by front door could be beneficial. Assault frigate’s are ugly (by most accounts), and look what they did.

I understand that several have looked and are very opposed to BGG, but one other thought to throw in the mix is that those BGG forums are heavily used by good game players from other systems. It could be a very stable recruitment tool to have active forums there when this game eventually starts to have less wind in its ‘sales.’

My second point is that the BGG platform is exceedingly funded, established and stable and will not be at the whim of the new community relations overlord or whatever Asmodee/AMG may switch us to in future.

i’m not a major contributor here nor there, but I know when I’m looking for information – BGG is significantly easier to find things (posts, IMAGES, spoiled content, ability to find and follow specific members, etc) as it took quite a while for me to find all of the sub-Reddit, discord, and I still struggle to use Imgur; that are used by the community here. i’ve also had more luck with their search capability than here.

Some of the built in functionality there would specifically be a fantastic fit for our list building discussions, tool posting, tournament management, etc.

I've been looking at the BGG forums, and yeah it's a bit clunky, but not horribly so. But the main issue is there isn't a lot of activity. Thus it seems kind of pointless to go there? Same with the subReddit really. And Discord isn't good for anything but chatting then and there. And voice. None of this really fills the slot of unofficial forum.

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

I've been looking at the BGG forums, and yeah it's a bit clunky, but not horribly so. But the main issue is there isn't a lot of activity. Thus it seems kind of pointless to go there? Same with the subReddit really. And Discord isn't good for anything but chatting then and there. And voice. None of this really fills the slot of unofficial forum.

Maybe it'll busy up once this place closes.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, flatpackhamster said:

Maybe it'll busy up once this place closes.

I'd think so - I mean, look at some of the BGG forums for other games where the publisher website isn't strong; thousands to tens of thousands of threads, thousands of images, blog posts, files and articles, reviews and session reports, links to discussions on geeklists*, etc.

* Certainly, as BGG is a community that covers a range of games, these cross-game 'geeklists' are an important part of how the community there works...as people discuss ideas/game play experiences/design/art/whatever across multiple games and talk about how they relate to each other. Consider FFG's own Battlestar Galactica . "Only" 4,823 forum threads, but it also appears with some discussion on 5,178 geeklists alongside other games. (And, of course, it has ~33,000 ratings with ~6,700 rating comments and nearly 75,000 plays entered)

Edited by xanderf