How much will this hurt?

By Gupa-nupa, in X-Wing

How much damage will this do to the game? Will the idea of a consolidated forum be able to survive on a seperate forum? What would that look like?

Hopefully AMG launches some more robust forums than their current offering (which is just a rules questions forum for Marvel Crisis Protocol). If not, then I don’t know. Reddit I guess.

I think that (in addition to reddit) the GSP discord is another good option. From my experience the standard x wing discord is sorta dead.

Hard to say. Very, very few people I know in the UK actually use this forum, so any damage there seems minimal.

Maybe going to make for more geographically isolated discussions, but I've never been into Reddit/Discord, so can't speak for the representation there.

I think this won't be terribly damaging to the game overall. I think as noted it becomes more of a question of what AMG then does with regards to this. The big thing is an easy place to go for rules questions.

what is the reddit link?

7 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

what is the reddit link?

I look through this from time to time. r/XWingTMG/

There is activity there but there isn't a lot of organization or compartmentalization.

Edited by Frimmel
additional text

These groups are pretty good replacements:

1) XwingTMG reddit

2) Fly Better podcast facebook group as well as its discord

3) Gold Squadron Podcast facebook group as well as its discord

They don't capture exactly what a forum does, although reddit comes closest. Reddit, if you're not familiar, has ways of promoting a combination of newest and most engaging posts in a way that's a bit smarter than a forum where any reply to an arbitrarily old thread will bring it flatly to the top. As for fb groups, it depends on your own activity elsewhere; those groups might compete for a small slice of your attention if you do a lot of stuff elsewhere. Discord is a good midway solution between the first two but it tends to be tiring to sift through heavy activity - this leads to short term memory about topics, which tend to not be as powerfully explored as a good ol' forum thread. But hey, at least you'll catch the important news and topics if you expose yourself to it.

For me its bad. I use a Danish and a UK Facebook site for x-wing, and then these forums to get an overall fell. I don't listen to any x-wing podcats as I no longer care about tournaments or Meta play. I play a bit of Marvel Crisis Protocol to, I really like the game, but the AMG webpage is pretty bare knuckles for anything and their articles about their releases pretty lackluster. Besides that they release lots of info on new stuff, butt all over the place so I have given up on following their releases and just enjoy when ever I accidentally fall across tid bits of info. I hope this is not the fate of things to come for X-wing, but that AMG actually makes proper forums for all their games. (it Sucks they could not just take over the FFG ones).

Facebook groups (and really any site that blocks read access to people with accounts only) are never a good replacement for things like forums. Though Facebook in particular is extra bad in that regard.

34 minutes ago, Mu0n729 said:

These groups are pretty good replacements:

1) XwingTMG reddit

2) Fly Better podcast facebook group as well as its discord

3) Gold Squadron Podcast facebook group as well as its discord

Im on the GSP discord, where would I be able to find the link for the Fly Better?

The day this forum dies my interest in X wing, and trying to promote it in my area, will drop by 95%.

If the company can't be arsed to maintain a cheap forum, why bother? It's obviously the end for this version of the game. Just as I'm getting conversion kits to demostrate 2.0....

Expect "Primaris" that make you rebuy your collection. A very slightly bigger scale. Not now, but when they see they've disregarded their product for so long they can't "justify" maintaining the current edition.

No point in investing more. I'll play the very occasional game with someone that comes over. No point lugging my stuff to the store, for a dying game. Bad investment.

So GW gets my cash again. Ehy did Asmodee buy FFG? I've spent almost nothing on their products since. The bad app at first. And nowan app that doesn't save my squads (due to a addition subtraction error, stupidly)

Really poor show. Really. Poor. Show.

And it's just when Disney goes nuts announcing new shows. Boba's FLYING LOTS, using bombs, ion cannons, rear shooting etc. You really don't get much more inept with the timing of the announcement (unless your objective is to kill and resurrect the game - with a snazzy new website/forum).

Good luck all.

Edited by Larky Bobble
18 hours ago, Gupa-nupa said:

How much damage will this do to the game? Will the idea of a consolidated forum be able to survive on a seperate forum? What would that look like?

Hard to say. Not haven't an 'Official Forum' is important to some. When I first starting playing I like the dedicated concentration of X-Wing threads and dedicated sub-forums. But after a while I went back to Board Game Geeks and haven't posted here for a few years. It works and, I think, is better for getting new players introduced to the game. Others have already gone to FB or Discord.

Time will tell, but maybe it will have no affect. I will miss some of you who get lost in the move.

18 hours ago, Larky Bobble said:

Expect "Primaris" that make you rebuy your collection. A very slightly bigger scale...

...oh god. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...

...in defense of Games Workshop

hold on brb gonna b*VOMITS*

...*wipes mouth* sorry about that.

Where was I? Oh, right. Yeah. In defence of... that company... there's no doubt that the quality of their models has increased exponentially over the last 20 years.

An argument could be made that FFG have already "Primisarised" X-Wing with the improvement to re-released ships from 1st Edition. Extra detail, folding wings, new paint schemes etc. A company can't survive if people don't buy it's products, so yeah, they'll want you to buy new miniatures.

Personally, if the new models are an improvement, then cool. That's great.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

...oh god. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...

...in defense of Games Workshop

hold on brb gonna b*VOMITS*

Yeah it's tough. I always felt x wing owed a lot to how inept GW was, if anything I think x wing forced them to ask the community what they wanted. I think that survey is where they started clawing back against x wing.

Maybe AMG will do the same (granted it's harder because they don't own the ip).

Edited by reqent
Added more
27 minutes ago, reqent said:

Yeah it's tough. I always felt x wing owed a lot to how inept GW was, if anything I think x wing forced them to ask the community what they wanted. I think that survey is where they started clawing back against x wing. .

GW basically lost me when they canned Warhammer and brought on Age of Sigmar.

I understand why they did it. I totally get the "owning your IP" and moving away from common fantasy names and depictions. And from a purely financial point of view, yeah, they're killing it. I wish I'd bought shares when I was considering it 8 years ago.

But for a long time, the only thing "Game"about Games Workshop products was the name. They may as well have been called "Hobby Workshop" or indeed "Citadel Miniatures".

Let's face it, pretty much everything boxed set or "game" in GW's catalogue is essentially a gateway drug.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

An argument could be made that FFG have already "Primisarised" X-Wing with the improvement to re-released ships from 1st Edition. Extra detail, folding wings, new paint schemes etc. A company can't survive if people don't buy it's products, so yeah, they'll want you to buy new miniatures.

Personally, if the new models are an improvement, then cool. That's great.

As you point out, there are ways to do this without altering scale and making all the old ships look dumb.

A big mistake, IMHO, was failing to make 2.0 re-releases worth buying. Repaints and resculpts are a place to start, but these ships should have also included new pilots. For example, make the Rebel Y-Wing a new sculpt, a new paint job for Gray Squadron, AND finally include Tiree and Pops in the card riffle. Redo the X-Wing in Blue, add flappy wings, AND add General Merrick and Blue squadron. Some people would want the new ship just cuz, Rebel players get new content, and FFG gets cash flow.

Oh, sure, people would have pissed and moaned about buying another X- or Y-Wing for the cardboard, but maybe XWM wouldn't be the trainwreck it seems to be right now. In the long run, "no new content in 2.0 ships" is a promise they should have broken.

And maybe this is what AMG can do. Re-re-package 2.0 ships as if they are launching 2.0 again as/with new content. Odds are, all the packaging needs to be redone anyways to get FFG off the label.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I agree on the "no new content" promise. It should have been broken.

I'd happily have two different Rebel Hans to choose from.

Al that it needed to "keep" the promise was a yearly card pack where all new cards would be included. Really though it'd be released months after the relaunched ship. Need the pilot for tourney now? buy the ship! type thing...

And screw you if you didn't collect all five factions when you bought the card pack itself. You're paying!

On 12/21/2020 at 6:32 PM, Larky Bobble said:

If the company can't be arsed to maintain a cheap forum, why bother? It's obviously the end for this version of the game. Just as I'm getting conversion kits to demostrate 2.0....

Expect "Primaris" that make you rebuy your collection. A very slightly bigger scale. Not now, but when they see they've disregarded their product for so long they can't "justify" maintaining the current edition.

No point in investing more. I'll play the very occasional game with someone that comes over. No point lugging my stuff to the store, for a dying game. Bad investment.

I'm confused. What makes you think the game is dying?

6 hours ago, TriggerHappyTaco said:

I'm confused. What makes you think the game is dying?

The official forum shutting down is usually a big indicator to me. Add to that no in-store or tournament play because of the 'rona and no new products announced, and it's not unreasonable to wonder about the future of the game.

36 minutes ago, Nspace said:

The official forum shutting down is usually a big indicator to me. Add to that no in-store or tournament play because of the 'rona and no new products announced, and it's not unreasonable to wonder about the future of the game.

Wondering about the future of the game is one thing, saying it's a dying game is another. I admit, FFG forums shutting down would be scary if FFG was still the developer.

I honestly don't think losing these forums are going to matter at all. Internet forums are a dying breed, anyway; most companies don't bother anymore. This one in particular is only frequented by a rather small percentage of the player base. Most of our fellow players won't notice the difference between these existing and not.

Everything this forum did for us could be done just as easily by a different website, one that doesn't cost AMG/FFG/Asmodee any money to create, maintain, and moderate.

It's sad that they are going in an "end of an era" kind of way, but no one should really take it to mean anything beyond internet forums aren't worth the trouble anymore.

Out of my main x-wing gaming group of about 10 people, 2 of us used this forum (with only me being a regular).

My mate I play with on a weekly basis, do events with, and has been collecting as long as me (3rd wave of 1st ed) never used it.

And based on a LOT of posts from the big FB groups, most people either left here ages ago or never came here in the first place lol

I love this place, but saying it going away = the game dying off is silly at best, massively egotistical at worst.