Forum archive

By IceManHG, in X-Wing

Is there a way to archive the forums?

I think there is a way that you can download a website.

Edit: I found one way. If anyone wants to look into the program “HTTrack” or something similar...

Edited by Gupa-nupa

I'm thinking that most of the data on a forum such as this lives in the database behind the scenes. The HTML you see here is just serving the data.

Well someone's gotta save this stuff!

2 hours ago, IceManHG said:

Is there a way to archive the forums?

You've already missed the chance to get all of it. A lot of really old stuff has already been dumped, it seems.

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

You've already missed the chance to get all of it. A lot of really old stuff has already been dumped, it seems.

This is just sad..

I have 3 pages of stuff in the painting sub forum I would not mind grabbing somehow. If anyone, or by some miracle I, figure out how, sharing is caring.

Super niche I Did This How-To's you can simply stumble upon more than once just don't fit into the shiny patterns of new things, given the great popularity contest that is the modern internet.

Which is a shame. Particularly when so many aren't even aware it's a shame.

Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr. Are Forums Even a Thing in 2020?

3 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

I have 3 pages of stuff in the painting sub forum I would not mind grabbing somehow. If anyone, or by some miracle I, figure out how, sharing is caring.

Super niche I Did This How-To's you can simply stumble upon more than once just don't fit into the shiny patterns of new things, given the great popularity contest that is the modern internet.

Which is a shame. Particularly when so many aren't even aware it's a shame.

Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr. Are Forums Even a Thing in 2020?

I think for 3 pages only you should just be able to manually click-select-copy the posts and then paste into a word document and get a decent result, then you can post it on reddit or somewhere else if you like.

I posted this on a painting subforum post too, but does anyone have an idea of how big this full forum is in terms of data storage?

11 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/Community.fantasyflightgames.forums#

The Way Back Machine Internet Archive has some of it. As a last ditch effort for anyone who needs it.

Do you know if it could be updated? And if so, what that would take?

4 hours ago, Sciencius said:

I think for 3 pages only you should just be able to manually click-select-copy the posts and then paste into a word document and get a decent result, then you can post it on reddit or somewhere else if you like.

This occurred to me not long after posting. It is a simple, if slightly laborious task ofc :D

I think I feel a blog coming on.

5 hours ago, gryffindorhouse said:

Do you know if it could be updated? And if so, what that would take?

I have no idea. I saw the last capture as like 3 years ago and wondered about that. Maybe you could just email them? I'd hope they could do a small targeted capture. But this is only the second time I've ever thought to use the way back machine for anything.