A Farewell To Good Friends

By Cubanboy, in Star Wars: Armada

Well, goodbye, I guess. I Just hope AMG opens a l proper forum at some point.

Man, what another sucky thing to happen. A lot of the time lately I have been more of a wallflower, but it's still been a great bunch of years with all you folks! I've been talking with some of you for most of a decade, now.

I NEVER GOT MY IMPERIAL VENATOR............

You'll see me on your discords as "Dr_Venture"

I'm back into painting...cuz clone wars...and also having a girlfriend who paints minis.

6 hours ago, Gottmituns205 said:

I NEVER GOT MY IMPERIAL VENATOR

I STILLLLL WANNNNNT A HUUUUUULA HOOOOOOOP

I'll be over there when this all ends. Lots of people don't like the BGG forums, but I have used them to great success over the years for having lasting access to game info. The games's page is also a good place to post files for download, too, as well as not being tied to a specific company like the FFG forums.

Edited by AegisGrimm

I never managed to get back into Armada after a hiatus (new kid, the pandemic, exhaustion). It's a shame this community is breaking up. But at least it went out strong- for the few fans of Homeworld out there, the old relicnews forums quietly died out as activity plummeted with no Homeworld for over a decade.

FWIW I frequent Boardgamegeek- I have some old tactical articles up there and that's where my ear-to-the-ground is on boardgaming matters. Discord is good for chat but, I agree with others, it's not conductive to posting content that sticks around for others to look at (especially for me, who likes making custom tools and art). Reddit is an alternative but I don't think you get a good enough view of topics to take in what's going on.

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

FWIW I frequent Boardgamegeek- I have some old tactical articles up there and that's where my ear-to-the-ground is on boardgaming matters.

Oh, those articles were my Bible when I started my career at the Imperial Navy!

I hope, you will find the motivation and time to get back to the game! It would be amazing if you were to update them :)

Okay, fellow forum-dwellers, I have a confession to make.

I don’t own Star Wars: Armada. Not a single ship. I have a friend who bought the basic set and some other ships, around Wave 2 or 3. I fell in love with Armada, but I knew I didn’t have the money to buy into it, the space to keep the models if I could afford them, or the time to really play it. The only other opponent I would even have would be this friend — and, heck if I’m just playing with his ships, I don’t need my own.

We’ve played a few games… maybe 6, at most. That’s it. I’ve played half a dozen games of Armada, or less, and the last one was years ago. I moved right after we tried to begin a Corellian Conflict campaign between the two of us. We got together to play, but only got through half a game. We had to finish it six weeks later, having reconstructed the board state from photos. Two months ago, my buddy contacted me to let me know he was selling his Armada stuff because he doesn’t play it. He was basically giving me the right of first refusal before he put it up on the market, and was offering me a friendly price. I still lack the money, space, time, and (now) opponents so I had to turn him down.

But I love Armada. I’ve made loads of fleets on list builders and regularly read the blogs. I’ve dreamed up extra stuff for the Corellian Conflict, which I’ve posted here a while back. I’ve been brainstorming a kind of Rebellion in the Rim-lite for introducing the game to new players without relying on them all showing up week after week for a real campaign — not that I can playtest it. And, I’ve read and posted on these forums. That’s it. That’s Armada for me.

The stuff here, on these forums, interacting with you all, essentially is Armada for me. Talking about this awesome game. I’m really going to miss it.

I hope we find a viable replacement forum, that isn't reddit or discord. I've tried, and I just can't frequent either on any regular basis. Just too convoluted for my old (sane?) tendencies. Both frustrate me to no end.

I'm hoping the Feb 3rd announcements include new forums over there. Otherwise, see you on bgg ir that swarmada.net.

We are all going to spread out after the shutdown. Wherever you all end up, post links between all the different forums and Discord pages you all visit.

Who knows, with enough cross contamination between these sources we could actually all stay in touch.

Would be a weird game of telephone over... the... internet...

Ok I'll just stop worrying about it for now.

I'm definitely going to miss everyone.

Although I won't miss being on a forum that purges the painting and modification page every few years.

Farewell old forums.

The forum is dead, long live Armada!

12 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Farewell old forums.

I see you

It's only a matter of hours..

I compare this forum to the X-Wing forum and it has been an absolute oasis of help, courtesy and camaraderie.

Sadly the X-wing version seems to be full of very angry 20-something year old Americans with no social skills whatsoever who would not dare say half the things that they do if they were not behind the anonymity of a screen. ("The guy's wife died, so what?" being the absolute low point. What sort of idiot says something like that about a fellow forum member?).

It totally put me off and indeed it's been a long time since I've played X-Wing but over here it's been a delight. People are willing to help and they come up with a much more positive attitude then "git good scrub". I'm not American but I'm fairly sure that means "you are a new player, tough luck".

Good riddance to the X-wing forum IMO, a lot of people there did nothing for the hobby but losing this forum is a real loss. As a grizzled 55 year old historical wargamer I never thought I would be into flying spaceships around but the game is such fun and the support available from this forum has been invaluable for me and so many others, even if it's something so simple as you're unsure of a rule and you can usually find something about it in the rules section.

I realise this forum will shut down in a few hours so very best wishes to you all.

“Here in the East it is already January 31st, and the forums still exist. Impending doom lies thick on the ground, as though a custard tanker has t-boned a molasses truck. I will continue to provide updates as the situation develops.”

I will miss everyone, even as an infrequent poster, but I hope to see you all over either on BGG, the Crabbock Facebook page, or on the new SWArmada forum.

Edited by AegisGrimm

This has been a great place to have a good laugh and chat. Farewell

Edited by XR8rGREAT

Just want to thank you all for providing interesting discussion and sharing your amazing projects, Armada and these forums were the reason why I got into TTGs and I have you guys as a large part to thank for that, I'll be on swarmada forums and I hope you all will be too!

See you space cowboy...

“As sun sets on the 31st we head to bed uncertain of what, if anything, lies ahead.”

(cue MASH theme)

“The sun has risen in the East. It is February, yet the forums persist. A cruel reprieve for those who live on the edge of tomorrow...”

Officially signing out. Hope everyone's die rolls are hits and accuracy's.

Whoever posts here last, turn out the lights when you leave.