It was fun while it lasted.

By onyersix, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

With the post that has been put up from FFGEvan, the forum is going to be closed in the next few weeks.

As a result, I guess any discussion about the potential return of IA, or IACP etc. will need a new home. This is the final push for me to move on to something new.

If FFG do ever decide to run that final World Championship that some of us qualified for, I hope to see some of you there, but I'm moving to Blood Bowl as my new strategic game for minis.

Imperial Assault will always be my most enjoyed community game, and those of you that I did meet in real life were nothing other than the best examples of wonderful people.

For people on the forum, I think we'd all be in agreement that A1bert has always been there to clarify rules queries in a knowledgeable way, so I salute you sir.

To everyone else, I hope you enjoyed the game as much as me, and find like minded people to run future campaigns with.

boardgamegeek's IA forums have been the de facto campaign game discussion forums from the beginning, so see you there.

Edit: the BGG's Variants IA subforum seems good for IACP (the forums sees little traffic otherwise) and Organized Play could perhaps be "liberated" to generic Skirmish talk.

Edited by a1bert

I know I haven't been around a lot lately (especially after having to make this second account) but this is horribly disappointing.

They're just killing the community here, despite what they claim.

What a shame.

What an absolutely terrible decision.

I guess we'll all have to go "elsewhere". Wherever that is. However we're supposed to discover that. For this or any other game we might play, now or in the future.

(N.B. no thread I've posted on BGG has ever garnered more than about four responses, unlike here; where at one time it was thriving, and for other games I play, still is).

How on earth would anyone at FFG/whoever decide that that situation - fragmenting the community and cutting off a direct pipeline of feedback straight from the players to the game developers, if they chose to listen - is an improvement? It's not like these forums can cost more than maybe a couple of hundred bucks a month to run, tops, probably less, across every subforum. How is the best possible source of player feedback worth less than that?

And then to announce it on a thread that gets immediately locked with no possible replies... as if threads like this one wouldn't spring up instantly anyway.

Hello, FFG? It's 2020, nearly 2021. The internet isn't anything to be afraid of and your customers are just falling over themselves to tell you what they want, if only you'll let them.

I'll second (third?) the recommendation for the BGG forums. Besides here they have been the most active community I have found around IA.

I'm disappointed, but I guess the gaming world moves on. I really enjoyed my interaction with the community here.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:26 PM, a1bert said:

boardgamegeek's IA forums have been the de facto campaign game discussion forums from the beginning, so see you there.

Edit: the BGG's Variants IA subforum seems good for IACP (the forums sees little traffic otherwise) and Organized Play could perhaps be "liberated" to generic Skirmish talk.

I apologize for my English but I hope you will understand what I wanna say.

I got Imperial Assault since day 1 and I wanna personally thank you for all the times that during these years me and my group had arguments about rules and we sorted it out through your remarkably precise posts here on FFG forum.

I do have the rules compendium you wrote and I use it often. I also saw that sometimes you are active on reddit and of course BGG so I will look for you in these places if we need it in the future (atm we are replaying Hoth campaign so it is likely that we will lol).

This game, without your kindness and efforts in answering the endless rules questions that can come up with the hundreds of interactions that a game complex as Imperial Assault has, wouldn't have been such a blast for us.

Thank you with all our hearts and see you somewhere else!

4 hours ago, Ico83 said:

I also saw that sometimes you are active on reddit and of course BGG

The reddit interface really bugs me (it's really not a forum, it's a collection of two-person chat posts) and I don't really follow it anymore except randomly. So, boardgamegeek is where I and other IA experts can be reached.

Also thanks for the kind words. Imperial Assault was released when I was looking for 5-player games, and while it didn't fly that far with our IRL group, it has provided me with endless fun, new friends and experiences (when I needed them most). The effect on my life hasn't been quite what Babylon 5 (directly and indirectly) achieved, but Imperial Assault has been a "lifestyle game" to me, and I wouldn't trade it for anyth... anything less.

So, big thanks to everyone being part of the IA community.

I like the FFG community, I liked having forums for some of my favourite games side by side.

I will still be buying FFG games but I don't think I will be following the company or games in the same way again.

Man it sure was fun. I'll keep playing but I will miss these forums and what makes them... the people on them! Thanks for all the great discussions. IA is such a great game (still is, but I feel there was so much more potential for new stuff).

I guess I'll see you on BGG then.

Thanks all.

it was great getting to chat with you all, find rulings, talk about squads and share my app with you all. ill miss this community

I also loved browsing these forums though I got into the game later. I’ll be over on BGG though