Forums closing down.

By Magnus Grendel, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Well that's a kick in the teeth for....well....everything.

Need to store our campaign log somewhere locally, and not sure what'll happen with the PBP games.

Kind of wierd given the 40k RPG boards were supported for what feels like half a decade after the company lost the GW license.

Please let us know where your campaign log goes, because it was very entertaining to read!

Otherwise, yeah, it stinks to see the content lost again. But at least the L5R discord https://discord.gg/mSYN2jPZkb is pretty active and has space for both games and places to store content that is likely to stick around for a while longer...

@Magnus Grendel : If you have a Google doc or site of your preference, I'd be glad to host a link to your work at Winter Garden of the Kakita . You probably don't want to keep it on my site itself because then you couldn't update it.

To anyone else....Any links to RPG materials I'd be happy to host.

I'll talk to CBass about how to ramp up the forums for courtgamespod.com if you'd like general discussion to go there.

Kaori

Well, I honestly wasn’t surprised by that announcement. I am surprised though that it is for the entire forum and not just for L5R RPG. Makes me wonder, really, how financially bad Asmodée is to decide that removing an official forum is a good way of cutting corners.

I guess I will be moving to courtgames then.

This is a BS move. I'd be a bit more understanding if the Edge Studios website was anything more than the placeholder that it's been for, what, 6 months? "We love roleplaying games!" "We don't know the title of our own game!" (There's no "the" at the beginning of Legend of the Five Rings, guys).

10 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

@Magnus Grendel : If you have a Google doc or site of your preference, I'd be glad to host a link to your work at Winter Garden of the Kakita . You probably don't want to keep it on my site itself because then you couldn't update it.

That's kind of you. Thanks

I'll have to think what I'm going to save off here.

• The unofficial minor clan 20 questions is pretty much a complete thing I don't plan on touching again, so if you want to host it go right ahead
  • The roster of NPCs needs editing so I'll copy it over to discord if I get an account there
  • PBP games I guess the same.
  • I'm kind of processing a loss of motivation right now. The idea that all the archived stories here from the game - and the beta too - are going in a trash fire hurts a lot, and as noted the fact that EDGE hasn't become more than a placeholder doesn't feel encouraging.
  • I really like this forum. Especially the L5R community, where were lucky enough to have several lore writers turn up regularly on an unofficial basis.

I know, it pisses me off how unprofessional the whole thing has been, even joined Twitter to ask them and they just ignore me.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • I really like this forum. Especially the L5R community, where were lucky enough to have several lore writers turn up regularly on an unofficial basis.

That at least is now the case over on the Discord, too... The community is a bit more lively, with both good and bad - but generally pretty good.

And we got more answers from the game devs there than I ever saw here.

It doesn't really seem suited for blog-esque campaign records, though.

Not really used Discord before, so will see what I think of it, I guess. It seems very active but also comes across more like Facebook messenger - great for a conversation, not great if you want to come back to a subject a few weeks later.

For campaign logs and PBPs, am tempted to suggest RPG Geek

https://rpggeek.com/forums/region/2/rpgg

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Yeah, for Campaign Logs, it's not that great. For PbP, a lot of people had good experiences with it, as you simply make a separate channel for it (/ask the mods to make you one). There were a few major PbP Discord servers, too. The biggest one, Emerald Empire Roleplayers unfortunately just went on hiatus due to the GMs being busy outside the server.

It's okay to bring topics back up, and we try to maintain useful pinned posts and gather stuff up in more long-lasting forms, like my Little Truths google doc, or Kaori's website, etc.

That s*cks and it is a big mistake, usually this kind of forum is the first entry point when you want to get info on any products.

I miss the AEG time with almost regular news on what the next book will looks like. There is no longer com on what's next and it feels like it is just about "wow new book! much amazing! such content buy it ! Wow!"

Well what an announcement. 😩

This hit me twice as hard because I always spend my time between here and the SW forums.

I will really miss the camaraderie in the forums, it was really a hub for creative minds to share their rpg creations, read good fiction and learn from other products and personal projects.

If you excuse me now I’ll light some incense and shred my biwa to remove my strife...

Edited by FelixFenix

I primarily have my Creature Collection thread here that I will have to relocate. The document itself is on my personal server and thus safe, but I'll have to see where I can advertise it to L5R players.

@KakitaKaori If you have a place for my Collection, I would be grateful if you hosted it.

Edited by Harzerkatze
7 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It seems very active but also comes across more like Facebook messenger - great for a conversation, not great if you want to come back to a subject a few weeks later.

For campaign logs and PBPs, am tempted to suggest RPG Geek

https://rpggeek.com/forums/region/2/rpgg

Yes, that is indeed most of the problem with it.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:40 AM, Harzerkatze said:

I primarily have my Creature Collection thread here that I will have to relocate. The document itself is on my personal server and thus safe, but I'll have to see where I can advertise it to L5R players.

@KakitaKaori If you have a place for my Collection, I would be grateful if you hosted it.

With the holidays I'm not doing much site work, but I hope to be doing more right after Christmas. I'd be happy to host your collection.

On 12/22/2020 at 12:13 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

That's kind of you. Thanks

I'll have to think what I'm going to save off here.

• The unofficial minor clan 20 questions is pretty much a complete thing I don't plan on touching again, so if you want to host it go right ahead
  • The roster of NPCs needs editing so I'll copy it over to discord if I get an account there
  • PBP games I guess the same.
  • I'm kind of processing a loss of motivation right now. The idea that all the archived stories here from the game - and the beta too - are going in a trash fire hurts a lot, and as noted the fact that EDGE hasn't become more than a placeholder doesn't feel encouraging.

I'll be happy to host your stuff. I'll try to figure out a forum that suits you, or on Courtgamespod.com, you can edit and post your own. Please talk to CBass too to see how to best suit your material.

I understand the loss of motivation though. We can try to save what we can.

GG all. I know how much that hurt. So many hours... Cheap move, but since FFG got bought, anyway, we know the drill. L5R suffered from being "their last RPG" and it's been downhill from there. Lets hope EDGE really kicks some serious arses.

I suggest discord (there is an L5R one too).

Edited by Avatar111

To be honest, I'm a bit ambivalent.

There's a lot of stuff here that'll be lost. Which is a shame.

On the other hand, hopefully it means that I'll never have to deal with forum software this bad again.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:20 PM, Magnus Grendel said:

Well that's a kick in the teeth for....well....everything.

Need to store our campaign log somewhere locally, and not sure what'll happen with the PBP games.

Kind of wierd given the 40k RPG boards were supported for what feels like half a decade after the company lost the GW license.

Is this for all the current forums or just some specific ones?

Just now, Stoneface said:

Is this for all the current forums or just some specific ones?

Everything!

1 minute ago, DSalazar said:

Everything!

This really sucks! When did this come down?

12 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

This really sucks! When did this come down?

A post pinned to the top of every FFG Forum on Monday.

9 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

A post pinned to the top of every FFG Forum on Monday.

Thanks!

If you guys need a place to do games I have a forum available based on Proboards forums. Its fairly new, not much is happening there if anything at all.

What stinks the most about the shutdown announcement is that it isnt ewven a news article to inform vistors to the site as a whole about ther shutdown of the forums

Infact here's my link if anyone is interested, Proboards is fairly simple to learn and I'd love to host some games here https://overlight-archives.boards.net/ Plus I agree with the sentiment of the forum software used here, its... weird

Edited by Ni Fang

Hmm, the other L5R forums do not see much traffic yet.
- Rpggeek has 11 L5R forum threads altogether, only four of those in the last 5 years.
- Overlight mirrors our thread structure here, which is cool, but has 18 forum members altogether.

Not that the forum here was so overcrowded, but I fear noone new will find anything posted there once this here goes down.

Edited by Harzerkatze