Forums closing down.

By Magnus Grendel, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

I mean, I guess if it was only removing the RPG side of the forums, it would make sense, considering FFG is not the one taking care of that anymore.

But EDGE digital presence is a ******* joke and Asmodée doesn't bother in creating their own forums then to take care of all the products they and their subsidiaries have, so...

I'm thinking of moving to RPGgeek mostly so I can keep following Magnus' campaign.

I'll still be pinging the L5R Discord when I do campaign updates - Discord is a fine app for 'chats', it's just not so great for PBP or Blog type stuff.

One thing I will miss entirely is the "You Know YTou're Playing {game name} When..." threads

I'd love for you guys to bring your games over to Overlight. Like I said its small, but I've looked at RPG Geek, and its.... confusing, {not as confusing as Mythweavers mind you}

I think what hurts the most abou this is that FFG never posted a news article about their forums and its impending shutdown on 1 Feb, had they done so there would have been more of an outcry

Edited by Ni Fang

I only just got into L5Rrpg a few months back... oh well... see you in the funny papers!

The game will continue on and the community is also still alive, just on other platforms, though :)

On 1/21/2021 at 11:40 PM, Myrion said:

The game will continue on and the community is also still alive, just on other platforms, though :)

Official community are helpful for newcomers, having to investigate the net to find may discourage them. And you cannot be sure that if you found a bug or any issue in books that someone from de editor will read it and publish an errata.

4 hours ago, Soktine said:

Official community are helpful for newcomers, having to investigate the net to find may discourage them. And you cannot be sure that if you found a bug or any issue in books that someone from de editor will read it and publish an errata.

To be fair, we were just a bunch of people using the official forums. I have been here for almost a year and the only time I saw a moderator post was to actually announce the forums closing. At best, we would get a post from Laderoute about one of the short stories he wrote answering some questions.

Also, when I joined, my posts and replies could not be seen until a moderator validated my account. It took 7 days, of which, I spent 4 tracking down any user that showed up as being a moderator or FFG employee to validate my account. I noticed too, during this time, that once every month we would get a new poster with a post 4-8 days old asking something and never replying back after being answered (probably because they lost interest here when they noticed they were invisible to the rest of the community).

I totally agree with you, though. Having an official place to ask questions is best. At this point, I am assuming EDGE won't have any forums on their website (whenever it actually becomes live) either.

If you wanted official feedback, the best way was and still is, aiui, the support form/email. Second best so far has been the Discord. If anything, the Edge Discord will now become the primary point of such contact.

I don't disagree that easy-to-find official communities are very useful.

Edited by Myrion

As the FFG forums prepare to shut itself down, I have set up a backup of the forum's content. I have uploaded them as zip files.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1jM7t_6wKwBrtFztjbm3w6JZpnc6zNeiw

I previously posted about this backup in the rokugan subreddit, but as many people may not go there, I'll post about it here. From the Reddit post:

The zip files are:
* l5r_forums.zip: Contains all the forums and subforms for the Legend of the Five Rings TCG and the Legend of the Five Rings RPG. Most likely, the content you want is in this zip file. The other zip files contain only the "minor" forums that exist for historical reasons.
* l5r_beta_forums.zip: Contains the forum and subforms for the Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta. Useful if you want to know how beta-testers felt about 5th edition.
* l5r_battle_for_rokugan.zip: The forum for the "Battle of Rokugan" board game.
* l5r_fiction_forums.zip: The forum for the Legend of the Five Rings fiction. Note that this is different from the "Legend of the Five Rings Lore" forum...and the fiction forum was quickly abandoned in favor of people just posting in the Lore forum. That's why this file is the smallest of the zip files.

I first archived all content posted up to December 24th - December 25th 2020. Last Saturday, I did an update to l5r_forums.zip, and I think I'll do one last update this Saturday, before the forums finally close up.

While this won't help restore the community, at least the content will be saved for future use.

Edited by igorhorst
12 hours ago, Myrion said:

If you wanted official feedback, the best way was and still is, aiui, the support form/email. Second best so far has been the Discord. If anything, the Edge Discord will now become the primary point of such contact.

I don't disagree that easy-to-find official communities are very useful.

Edge has a discord ?

I’m guessing it’s a french based channel.

Yes, Edge has a Discord and yes, it's pretty much entirely in French. If I understood correctly it was for their translation work to begin with.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, Ni Fang said:

One thing I will miss entirely is the "You Know YTou're Playing {game name} When..." threads

I'd love for you guys to bring your games over to Overlight. Like I said its small, but I've looked at RPG Geek, and its.... confusing, {not as confusing as Mythweavers mind you}

I think what hurts the most abou this is that FFG never posted a news article about their forums and its impending shutdown on 1 Feb, had they done so there would have been more of an outcry

they're a great fit for RPG Geek...

22 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

they're a great fit for RPG Geek...

RPGGeek is not easy for me to navigate, at all.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:30 AM, igorhorst said:

As the FFG forums prepare to shut itself down, I have set up a backup of the forum's content. I have uploaded them as zip files.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1jM7t_6wKwBrtFztjbm3w6JZpnc6zNeiw

I previously posted about this backup in the rokugan subreddit, but as many people may not go there, I'll post about it here. From the Reddit post:

I first archived all content posted up to December 24th - December 25th 2020. Last Saturday, I did an update to l5r_forums.zip, and I think I'll do one last update this Saturday, before the forums finally close up.

While this won't help restore the community, at least the content will be saved for future use.

I added a cross reference to this on Courtgamespod.com forums. I credited you as Igorhorst, but if there is some other way you want credit, or you want to remove, let me know ([email protected])

T ake care guys see you around. 👍

Edited by FelixFenix