Epic level play

By Cyborgtrucker, in Mutant Chronicles

Ok so epic level if I remember right is 90/90/90. Which I'm a far way off from play yet. Even if I only buy 22.5 packs each with 4 figures and use every last one without the normal miniature limits. I would have to only buy $450 dollars worth of boosters. Something I'm sure my FLGS would love to have happen. It may happen, I'm just not sure when. OK! But I'm straying from the real question I want to ask.

Say you build an 90/90/90 army with 1/3 figures, 1/3 command cards and 1/3 action tokens. Does the number of figures activated per player turn increase? Otherwise each player will take 45 turns per round! I think that might slow down the game a bit. Any ideas? Yes the book says go to the FFG site for more info but since they redid this place I've noticed not everything has transfered over yet.

I have no idea how 90/90/90 would work... I really can't even imagine how long that would take or how many maps you'd need. I do know one thing, though -- the rule limiting us to 4 copies of a unit would really make this hard.

I suppose the epic level would be ready for battles between a lot of players (let's think about six players with a 15/15/15 army each one). This meant to be the greatest battle ever possible in Mutant Chronicles (the armies of all the corps and the Brotherhood against all the Nepharite Lords... Isn't the battle of Cardenal Durand versus Algeroth itself, but will work anyway) ;-)

It's my first post around here, so hello everyone. Sorry for my faults about the english language, I'm spanish and not very fluid. :-)

See you!

Or only for multi-faction armies (ie Dark Legions with more than 2 Apostles).

Of course! Anyway, anything but one-on-one fights, the four-copy rule makes impossible one army 90/90/90 (and the three-copy restrictions about command cards only makes the situation a lot more difficult!). Any news about the epic rules FFG are creating (or the multiplayer rules)?

Well, if you are playing 90/90/90 you should probably avoid the 4 copies of each unit limit. I mean, not that you're going to a tournament and play epic level, so you can take some liberties with the rules (but it's still logical to avoid this one when playing epic, as I said).

There must be a lot of adjustements to be made in order to properly run an Epic game. I'm not sure the 2-units activation will be still relevant in such high scale or large-effect command cards will not affect only the map onwhich they are played rather than the whole battlefield by exemple. Need a lot beta-testing to be effective.

I think Epic is a bit of a vestige of the collectible days. (i.e. a built in way to make people buy extra boosters). I'm not sure FFG thought through or has given more thoguht to the epic phjase (at least not since letting Tony go). My opinion is that Epic should be a house-rules format as it is more like 40K's Armageddon, a way to use all your figs at once if you so choose.

I agree with Lars... For now, we don't have what's need to play 90/90/90... And I must admit, I'm not tempted to. 7/7/7 and 10/10/10 are a lot of fun, but I guess bigger scale battles (like 20/20/20) will become easier to do once the map pack is out to build bigger battlefields...

One of this days my friends and me wanna try a "royal rumble" with four 10/10/10 armies (one of each faction) in two merged battlefields (note for the purist: I'm afraid there's no purism at all in this idea, sorry about that) gui%C3%B1o.gif

When we can try this, you'll be the second ones to know. happy.gif

MarceAndrade said:

One of this days my friends and me wanna try a "royal rumble" with four 10/10/10 armies (one of each faction) in two merged battlefields (note for the purist: I'm afraid there's no purism at all in this idea, sorry about that) gui%C3%B1o.gif

When we can try this, you'll be the second ones to know. happy.gif

Battle Report and Photos please if possible! Thanks!

Cyborgtrucker said:

Battle Report and Photos please if possible! Thanks!

Don't worry about that, it there's a fight like that there'll be always some pictures! gui%C3%B1o.gif

I think my group will be doing a mega battle this august at Gen Con 09. It wont be official or anything just kind of a fun thing to do with cool 3D terrain. I figure if we do construction in blocks of forces and ignore the one unique rule you could get a very close to say 40/40/40 between the good guys and bad guys. I figure one demon force could be contructed around all the unique Algeroth figures as commanders and then another block could be done around the same commanders etc... This could represent unique force commanders in command of different divisions ie Golgotha and her twin sisters Bolgotha and Holgotha. I dont think this would be too unbalancing since the good guys can do the same. It may even breed some creativity and conversions on figures to make them different. For my Brahaus forces I am converting some of my other 54mm miniatures (Inquisitor). I also had the idea of using the 3 or 4 Inquisitor 54mm Artemis marine I have has special Brotherhood miniatures and maybe use the stats for Brahaus heavy battlesuits. I guess just sort of mix and match and have fun.

Liss

Inquisitor Liss said:

I think my group will be doing a mega battle this august at Gen Con 09. It wont be official or anything just kind of a fun thing to do with cool 3D terrain. I figure if we do construction in blocks of forces and ignore the one unique rule you could get a very close to say 40/40/40 between the good guys and bad guys. I figure one demon force could be constructed around all the unique Algeroth figures as commanders and then another block could be done around the same commanders etc... This could represent unique force commanders in command of different divisions ie Golgotha and her twin sisters Bolgotha and Holgotha. I don't think this would be too unbalancing since the good guys can do the same. It may even breed some creativity and conversions on figures to make them different. For my Brahaus forces I am converting some of my other 54mm miniatures (Inquisitor). I also had the idea of using the 3 or 4 Inquisitor 54mm Artemis marine I have has special Brotherhood miniatures and maybe use the stats for Brahaus heavy battle suits. I guess just sort of mix and match and have fun.

Liss

Sounds cool I'll have to keep an eye out for you guys at the con

Have you tried anything more than 10/10/10 trucker?

Liss

I wonder if some units will not become more efficient in this kind of big game (by exemple the Silver Ezoghoul which is more adapted to a battlefield full of ennemies than in sparser game format). Lot of units are not picked up by players because there are another ones which seem more usefull (in silver rank mainly) and an Epic format is the opportunity to use them after picking up 4 copies of the favored ones. Same thought about command cards (I use very often the same ones).

But I'm not sure to play a 90/90/90 battle in future (perhaps a 50/50/50 with the first set complete : 50 units, 40 cards and 60 order tokens).