Ships - who designed what?

By Managarmr, in X-Wing

In one of the threads about designers leaving FFG it was discovered that there seems no comprehensive documentation about who designed what ship.

Cited from there:

On 12/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, Wazat said:

That would be neat. It's not hard at all to set up a Credits page on the wiki. What's hard is tracking down all the info, and then data entry. I haven't kept any of my inlets for ships etc.

Edit: If you're serious about it and you and others you can find can put in the work, start up a separate thread and ping me in it (so we're not hijacking this one). I'll be happy to support you on the wiki side of things (getting you set up, starting you off with an article containing a ship list and empty credits per ship, helping with roadblocks, occasionally adding templates or other tools if needed, etc).

As written there I had due to space issues cleared out most of the inlets, where you see who designed and who playtested. This what I could gleam (with reservation for errors) from the ones left in the family (most probably there is quite a distinction if there is a comma, a "with" etc.):

Pack Designer
Rebel
CR 90 Frank Brooks, Alex Davy and James Kniffen
GR-75 James Kniffen, Corey Konieczka and Frank Brooks
K-Wing Alex Davy and Frank Brooks
X-Wing Exp (1st ed) Jay Little
Phantom II Max Brooke with Frank Brooks and Alex Davy
Rebel Aces Frank Brooks and Alex Davy
U-Wing Frank Brooks
VCX100 Alex Davy
YT2400 Alex Davy and Frank Brooks

Empire
Gunbloat Max Brooke with Frank Brooks and Alex Davy
Imperial Veterans Jay Little
Lambda James Kniffen

Scum
C-Roc Alex Davy with Max Brooke
CS 31 Corey Konieczka
Custom YT1300 Max Brooke, Frank Brooks, Alex Davy
Guns for Hire Frank Brooks with Max Brooke and Alex Davy
Most Wanted Alex Davy and Frank Brooks
IG 2000 Alex Davy and Frank Brooks
Starviper Alex Davy and Frank Brooks

Seperatists
Hyena Bomber Brooks Flugaur-Leavitt
Infiltrator Max Brooke with Frank Brooks
Servants of Strife Max Brooke with Frank Brooks
Vulture Max Brooke with Frank Brooks

Edited by Managarmr
Changed "ship" to "pack"

Brooks F-L took credit for the N-1 in one of the interviews as I recall

As I think about it, you may want to organize things by product instead of by ship, since ships were released in multiple waves sometimes (e.g. Kihraxz) and even in multiple editions.

Both the 1.0 and 2.0 wikis have Product pages where we list each product and it's release date, announce date, and maybe some other info. I wonder if the expansion's credits could go there, or if it's better to be its own page that just lists each ship expansion and the credits for it.

Well with the forums going down in about 5 weeks, not much time left for consolidation.

At least not on this forum...

2 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Well with the forums going down in about 5 weeks, not much time left for consolidation.

I haven't been keeping up with news lately; these forums are an unpleasant place to do that with everyone spitting venom at each other over nothing every couple of minutes. :) But I take it there's an official announcement that the forums are going down (and presumably the new company will make their own)?

If all else fails, we have the wiki's Discuss forum and article comments, User Talk, etc. So if there's a hiccup in service or people hate the new forums, that's a good place to go. It can also be slightly moderated to break up fights or turn people away who pathologically force threads off-topic even after people have been asked not to repeatedly. We mostly take a hands-off approach, but at least it's an option, unlike here where FFG's basically chosen to ignore everything that goes on here.

But while we have everyone here , I'd love to get contributions to the credits effort.

As for the actual work, I've taken the liberty to start a page for you , and I filled out the section for Jango Fett's Slave One as an example (since I had that credits page handy). A note on structure/organization: If we want, we can instead add a Credits section to each expansion's page (e.g. on Saw's Renegades Expansion Pack etc, add a Credits section at the bottom and fill it out). Or we can have the credits all in one place like I have now. I'm indifferent, and it's easy enough to move stuff around once it's written, so we don't really have to choose right now -- just giving you options.

With all that said, I do have one strong opinion. Having now put in the time to enter the credits for a single expansion through typing, I can tell you that's a lot of work . Especially the giant playtesters section in minute print... it's easy to lose your place and skip a name, or misspell something or insert a typo really anywhere. I'm not confident I didn't, but I need to get back to work at my job. :) IMO we should always upload a scanned image of the credits page whenever possible, because that's substantially less work and it helps to proofread any text we do add. If someone wants to also type out the credits, that's fantastic for searching etc, but the image is a couple of minutes to scan, crop, and upload, while typing takes half an hour or an hour per expansion and aggressively destroys the eyeballs. ;)

Credits_-_Jango_Fett.jpg

Any information we gather that isn't on the Credits page can also be added in its own little subheader. Though I do expect people to include links to the source of information... if there's an interview where someone takes/gives credit for something etc, link to the video, article, etc. Otherwise we'll have to start adding citation needed to every bit of hearsay, or just delete it. Wikis aren't for urban legends unless it's a wiki about urban legends. :D

Anyway, that's a starting point. I hope that gets you off to a great start!

What's the optimum pictures size?

And not all inlets have the same size. E.g. Huge ships...

I will see if I get around to scan the few ones left in the family the next days.

10 hours ago, Managarmr said:

What's the optimum pictures size?

And not all inlets have the same size. E.g. Huge ships...

I will see if I get around to scan the few ones left in the family the next days.

I'm not sure of the optimum size, as long as it's not absurdly large or small for what it is. The wiki seems to auto-size most images anyway. Usually whatever size your scanner produces is fine.

19 hours ago, Wazat said:

I haven't been keeping up with news lately; these forums are an unpleasant place to do that with everyone spitting venom at each other over nothing every couple of minutes. :) But I take it there's an official announcement that the forums are going down (and presumably the new company will make their own)?

If all else fails, we have the wiki's Discuss forum and article comments, User Talk, etc. So if there's a hiccup in service or people hate the new forums, that's a good place to go. It can also be slightly moderated to break up fights or turn people away who pathologically force threads off-topic even after people have been asked not to repeatedly. We mostly take a hands-off approach, but at least it's an option, unlike here where FFG's basically chosen to ignore everything that goes on here.

But while we have everyone here , I'd love to get contributions to the credits effort.

As for the actual work, I've taken the liberty to start a page for you , and I filled out the section for Jango Fett's Slave One as an example (since I had that credits page handy). A note on structure/organization: If we want, we can instead add a Credits section to each expansion's page (e.g. on Saw's Renegades Expansion Pack etc, add a Credits section at the bottom and fill it out). Or we can have the credits all in one place like I have now. I'm indifferent, and it's easy enough to move stuff around once it's written, so we don't really have to choose right now -- just giving you options.

With all that said, I do have one strong opinion. Having now put in the time to enter the credits for a single expansion through typing, I can tell you that's a lot of work . Especially the giant playtesters section in minute print... it's easy to lose your place and skip a name, or misspell something or insert a typo really anywhere. I'm not confident I didn't, but I need to get back to work at my job. :) IMO we should always upload a scanned image of the credits page whenever possible, because that's substantially less work and it helps to proofread any text we do add. If someone wants to also type out the credits, that's fantastic for searching etc, but the image is a couple of minutes to scan, crop, and upload, while typing takes half an hour or an hour per expansion and aggressively destroys the eyeballs. ;)

Credits_-_Jango_Fett.jpg

Any information we gather that isn't on the Credits page can also be added in its own little subheader. Though I do expect people to include links to the source of information... if there's an interview where someone takes/gives credit for something etc, link to the video, article, etc. Otherwise we'll have to start adding citation needed to every bit of hearsay, or just delete it. Wikis aren't for urban legends unless it's a wiki about urban legends. :D

Anyway, that's a starting point. I hope that gets you off to a great start!

The devs have said before on stream that generally the head designer on a ship/wave is whoever's name appears first. Man i am way to lazy to dig up the stream but it was sometime after wave 8 of 1.0. Obviously some waves have only one designer credited which makes life a lot easier for what you're doing.

This looks fairly accurate. I don't think Jay Little designed Imperial Veterans, though. That came out around Wave 8, so it was almost certainly Alex and/or Frank.