Statistics from TTS / Vassal

By eljms, in X-Wing

With the game being played online via TTS / Vassal, I've been wondering whether the creators have been able to collect and publish in-game statistics, and beyond that, which statistics might be useful?

For instance:

What percentage of attacks are in bullseye arcs? How does that breakdown by initiative / target ship size?

What percentage of attacks are obstructed?

What percentage of attacks happen at each range?

What percentage of ordnance charges are left unspent at the end of a game?

etc. etc.

If feels like data along these lines should be fairly easy to collect from online games, and would be super useful for list building. What statistics would you be interested in? And who do we ask to see if we can get them? :)

Some friends and I collected in game states on 50+ games. Very much a work in progress that we stopped putting effort into mostly due to boredom.

Would need to get many many more games to learn anything meaningful beyond the immediately obvious that the vast majority of players shoot from in arc regardless of archetype or ship type.

We also looked at all of this in relation to ending MOV which to make sense of would probably need better categories of things were collecting and again way more games reviewed.

Some interesting stuff came out of it. Vassal is much easier to review as it provides logs that let you cycle every single move, action, at your own pace via Page Up.

I am sure you could write a script to get some not dice related in game stats on vassal logs (I very intentionally chose to ignore dice since I wanted to focus on board positioning, shot opportunities instead of shots fired etc.).

You can get things like ranges from the logs if they did range checks but you cant pull what was shot at from the logs have to physically look at it and do that manually. Its all spotty.

Trouble is working out board state information though the log gives ranges etc. just not angles it doesnt always say who has what in arc and didnt fire etc. etc. Have to physically look at it to sort that out.

The most useful and most interesting stuff is trying to figure out how to define board state / positioning based on a ship and its arc in relationship to all the other ships/arcs on the table. Fun to think about!

TTS is pretty terrible for post match analysis and more of a challenge to review since there are no log files that you can page through.

Its one of the biggest losses of the communities shift to TTS. Have to depend on recorded videos which is difficult.

Either way below are some samples of the data we collected from a mix of real life recorded games, tts recorded games, and a giant pile of vassal logs.

gmLkWEr.jpg

r61MTXF.jpg

If your interested Vassal league is the best place to start VL 10 logs are all here: https://listfortress.com/seasons/10

You can download the logs and run most of them in Vassal offline, might need to re-install older versions of the mod but its usually fine.

Super small # of games though like 200+ max. VL 11 is starting in Jan and will have more.

Edited by Boom Owl
18 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

TTS is pretty terrible for post match analysis and more of a challenge to review since there are no log files that you can page through

Who could we approach to see if this can be changed? Doesn't seem like it would be too much work, just dumping the in-game output somewhere?

7 minutes ago, eljms said:

Who could we approach to see if this can be changed? Doesn't seem like it would be too much work, just dumping the in-game output somewhere?

CrazyVulcan updates TTS. Muon updates Vassal. Have no idea how much effort would be involved in TTS logs. Vassal is the best place to start since it already exists. The trouble is more how to pull “location” information without physically seeing the game. Creates some limits to how far you can take this stuff before it devolves into Dice Stats again.

For the immediate future a good manual process for reviewing games and clear ideas of what we are interested in collecting are probably the best bet.

Defining what in game stats we want is where this is at still probably. I am not sure there is a consensus or even a vocabulary for that to be honest. How to adjust logs would come after I guess.

Edited by Boom Owl
19 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

The trouble is more how to pull “location” information without physically seeing the game

Yeah - honestly, I think that's a lot more ambitious, depending on what level of location information you're looking to collect.

However, when you check for targets in TTS it already lets you know range, whether you have bullseye and whether the shot is obstructed. Having that dumped somewhere would be a great start and would help with the kind of statistics I was looking for in the original post.

@CrazyVulcan_ how much effort would be involved exporting TTS logs somewhere for the purposes of collecting some stats?