Errata Ideas Thread

By BrickDaniels, in Star Wars: Armada

I'm starting this thread for everyone to post their ideas in.

Several of mine are posted below. Enjoy!

Well shoot. I made a bunch of others, but I just learned that I only have a 500 kb global attachment limit on this forum. And I already hit it. ****!

25 minutes ago, BrickDaniels said:

Well shoot. I made a bunch of others, but I just learned that I only have a 500 kb global attachment limit on this forum. And I already hit it. ****!

Imgur will let you host images online for free. You can then grab the URL for the image and paste it into your post.

56 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Imgur will let you host images online for free. You can then grab the URL for the image and paste it into your post.

Same goes for Google Docs.

Thoughts:

Devastator: No hull zone requirement is nice. Not sold on the CF requirement: because you can't resolve more than one CF command per round, it's a nerf I don't think is needed.

Avenger: Should be nerfed more strongly than this and less strongly than it actually was.

Insidious: Interesting. Definitely good, might make life very hard for corvettes even beyond how much a GSD does that already.

Independence: Seems reasonable. Rebels already have access to a lot of speed buffs, this would be a strong but expensive option.

Woldar: Sloane doesn't need the help.

Sensor Team: Love it. Especially with accuracies looking a little more valuable now.

Veteran Gunners: Already works great as a concept, I think this change would be better incorporated as a new card.

QLTs: What is the intent here? It's a lot of text to avoid obstruction shenanigans, but I guess? Edit: Not a fan of Rhymer-proofing them.

Cluster Bombs: I don't like the notion of rock paper scissors counters to heavy squads or any other archetype. If it were a standard 4 blue attack, maybe.

Redundant Shields: It's a good concept. Did you mean for them to start out below the maximum value? Given what they're competing against, I'd give +1 max to each hull zone for 8 pts. plus mod.

HTTs: Cymoons and Ravager will 2-shot everything.

Palpatine: Feels like an NPE waiting to happen, to be honest. Maaaaybe if he spent one each round (allowing 2 uses per variety over the course of a game?)

Tagge: Absolutely. Makes him usable.

Rhymer and Malee: I like these too.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

I'm shocked Jerjerrod didn't have an errata:

Small Ship: 1 Damage
Medium Ship: 2 Damage
Large Ship: 3 Damage
Huge Ship: 4 Damage

It's pretty absurd he acts as free Super-Duper Nav commands for ISDs and SSDs for 1 measly damage point.

Edited by EBerling

@The Jabbawookie @BrickDaniels How about make Insidious only able to attack at Medium range against ships larger than it. Also bump up the cost to 4-5 too.

3 hours ago, EBerling said:

It's pretty absurd he acts as free Super-Duper Nav commands for ISDs and SSDs for 1 measly damage point.

He is a good admiral, but the suggested change would render him unplayable. Over the course of a game, you may end up using him 2-3 times per ship. Even taking 3 damage on an ISD is equivalent to 3 bomber squadrons damaging the ship, which isn't an insignificant amount of damage.

It does sound as though you've had some unfortunate games against that admiral :)

4 hours ago, EBerling said:

I'm not. This drawback is over the top, literally no reason to take with anything larger than medium.

10 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

It does sound as though you've had some unfortunate games against that admiral :)

Lately, I'm primarily a Jerjerrod player myself, actually. Nevertheless, I am objective enough to acknowledge that he's way too efficient for what he offers to ISDs/SSDs. It'd be nice to have more meaningful decisions, in either the form of deciding which admiral to use or when deciding whether or not to use Jerjerrod in any given round. As it stands now, those are generally no-brainer decisions. For a single damage, which is absolutely insignificant to ISDs/SSDs he offers the value of double Navigation dials without even having to worry about things that shut down Nav Commands (e.g. Raid Tokens, Slicer Tools, etc.), so there is literally no counterplay available. And more often than not, you can use the double-clicks from that 1 Damage to generally swing quite a few attack dice in your favor (either by arc-dodging an enemy or preserving your own front arc on target or both). So it's often "take 1 damage to avoid a pile of dice or gain a pile of dice," which will always then pay out net returns in the damage attrition race.

Edited by EBerling
19 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

I think maybe a Confire or Repair token to unexhaust (feel thematic) with the added text:

If this card is equipped to a small base, you cannot unexhaust it.

Reasoning: most smalls have an evade, and with the 1.5 changes it works pretty well against squads ) bombers now. Cluster Bombs can't be scattered or braced, so being able to do 4 damage per round against one squadron that attacks you makes that ship kinda OP. Add in LTTs on a CR90 A and you could even potentially kill Morna or Hera in one shot after CBs.

(eliteone): "I think maybe a Confire or Repair token to unexhaust (feel thematic) with the added text:

If this card is equipped to a small base, you cannot unexhaust it.

Reasoning: most smalls have an evade, and with the 1.5 changes it works pretty well against squads ) bombers now. Cluster Bombs can't be scattered or braced, so being able to do 4 damage per round against one squadron that attacks you makes that ship kinda OP. Add in LTTs on a CR90 A and you could even potentially kill Morna or Hera in one shot after CBs."

I agree. Or perhaps the wording can be changed to : 'you may exhaust this card to perform an attack against it with an anti-squadron armament of 4 blue dice. Each of your (crit) icons adds 1 damage to the damage total during this attack.
Edited by BrickDaniels

I like almost all the ideas. In short How does each card interact with others?

How would Redundant shields work with AST, Asperation, or EWS ect..

On 12/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, BrickDaniels said:

I like the idea of changing Cluster Bombs because I don't think I've used it since the Home One expansion was released and I tried it a few times with meh results -- ECM is just too good! But perhaps with the ECM nerf, Cluster Bombs is worth another try.

First, if Cluster Bombs can be refreshed, I think the 4 blue die will have to be reduced to 3, for balance.

Second, a ConFire token should be required to refresh Cluster Bombs. Tokens are far more important and prevalent in Clone Wars Armada, so spending any token to refresh Cluster Bombs would be too easy; it needs to be a ConFire token so the ship has to give up something offensive to replenish Cluster Bombs.

Third, given the indiscriminate nature of Cluster Bombs, they should inflict damage to nearby squadrons (and possibly other ships), similar to how Wide-Area Barrage works. There's a lot of directions this change could go in. I think it should be a double-edged sword, so that Cluster Bombs will inflict half of the damage rolled (rounded down) to any squadron or ship within distance 1 of the attacking squadron, which would include the defending ship. This would make the defending player think twice before using it or risk destroying their own ship, which seems balanced if Cluster Bombs can be refreshed.

Fourth, I kinda think that Cluster Bombs should roll black dice instead of blue, just for the sake of logic because black dice represent Ordnance and Cluster Bombs are basically Ordnance (the only reason they're Defensive Retrofit is because they came with the Home One, which has Def. Retrofit slots but not Ordnance). I know that would preclude the possibility of rolling an Accuracy to block the squadron's defense tokens, especially Scatter. However, there are no Bomber squadrons with Scatter, so it would probably be ok if a TIE Ace could Scatter, but a Bomber Ace could Brace down the damage.

Fifth, I think any of these changes would necessitate a points increase.

I think if Cluster Bombs was reduced to 3 blue dice and had to be refreshed by a ConFire token, it could be 7 points.

If Cluster Bombs also damaged nearby squadrons and ships, it would probably have to be 8-10 points.

48 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

I know that would preclude the possibility of rolling an Accuracy to block the squadron's defense tokens, especially Scatter. However, there are no Bomber squadrons with Scatter, so it would probably be ok if a TIE Ace could Scatter, but a Bomber Ace could Brace down the damage.

You can’t scatter, brace, or evade cluster bombs as currently written. It is not an attack. It is direct damage. So rolling 3 hits or crits deals 3 damage to that squad, no matter what tokens they have. Likewise, you wouldn’t remove a die for obstruction, because it’s not an attack: it’s a card effect.

Also, black dice instead of blue would increase the damage output significantly. You’d have a 25% chance of dealing 2 damage per die, and still have the same 25% chance of no damage per die. You ceiling would double, to 8, your average damage would rise significantly (not going to do the math) but your damage floor would stay the same.

Edited by bkcammack
On 12/18/2020 at 6:26 PM, EBerling said:

Lately, I'm primarily a Jerjerrod player myself, actually. Nevertheless, I am objective enough to acknowledge that he's way too efficient for what he offers to ISDs/SSDs. It'd be nice to have more meaningful decisions, in either the form of deciding which admiral to use or when deciding whether or not to use Jerjerrod in any given round. As it stands now, those are generally no-brainer decisions. For a single damage, which is absolutely insignificant to ISDs/SSDs he offers the value of double Navigation dials without even having to worry about things that shut down Nav Commands (e.g. Raid Tokens, Slicer Tools, etc.), so there is literally no counterplay available. And more often than not, you can use the double-clicks from that 1 Damage to generally swing quite a few attack dice in your favor (either by arc-dodging an enemy or preserving your own front arc on target or both). So it's often "take 1 damage to avoid a pile of dice or gain a pile of dice," which will always then pay out net returns in the damage attrition race.

Well then what about 1 damage for 2 yaw on small and medium ships and 1 yaw on large and huge?

4 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Well then what about 1 damage for 2 yaw on small and medium ships and 1 yaw on large and huge?

Even if he just dropped to adding a single yaw for all ships, he is a good commander. Look at the number of people saying “always be navigating.” A JJ that adds just a single click provides half a Nav command for free, every turn.

It’s still enough for the VSD. 1-1 at speed 2 is a lot easier to keep on target than 0-1

3 hours ago, Church14 said:

Even if he just dropped to adding a single yaw for all ships, he is a good commander. Look at the number of people saying “always be navigating.” A JJ that adds just a single click provides half a Nav command for free, every turn.

It’s still enough for the VSD. 1-1 at speed 2 is a lot easier to keep on target than 0-1

What would you want to proof? I think @flatpackhamster didn't try to suggest a nerf that would ruin Jerjerrod completely. When you say, that a nerfed Jerry would be still a no-brain-auto-include, it seems to be a good reason to nerf him, no?

On 12/21/2020 at 3:53 AM, flatpackhamster said:

There are a lot of ways Jerjerrod's efficiency could have been addressed via various fixes. I don't really care what fix was used, but he certainly warranted a fix, in my opinion. But it's all moot, since the "1.5" pack didn't touch him.

I suppose not that it matters much now... since we can all worry about whether or not Armada is a dead game (oh hey, remember when we didn't have to worry about that for like the past 6 months,... that was nice...). Who's got the time or energy to worry about the slapdash job done with "1.5" while we hold our breath to see what AMG has in store for the game after Asmodee's abruptly fired all the designers/developers. Silver lining, I suppose. But I'm skeptical AMG will have the ability or the interest to continue X-Wing, Legion, AND Armada as-is in their current forms. And on that list, I know which is the least tempting to keep, from a sales number...

Edited by EBerling