Delayed Release to Q3 2021

By williaps, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

It looks like FFG has delayed the release. I thought it was going to come out in Q1 2021 and now it's delayed to Q2 2021...bummer.

image.png.60747bc540992b640d254ee12a4e92d0.png

Edited by williaps

Who cares?

4 hours ago, Shironeko said:

Who cares?

Exactly, who cares 🙂

^--- This. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't take this game if they GAVE it to me. The art, the boards, etc., all look cheesy ...

And for those who claim (other threads) that they can't provide game mechanics, etc. right now, that is disingenuous at best, misleading at worse. I think they are afraid to do so, because it will be just another nail in the coffin that points at how crappy this game is going to be ... thus ruining their potential sales.

I will say it again ... I am willing to take bets that at the very least ACT III of this game NEVER sees the light of day. It is possible ACT II won't either.

Edited by any2cards
55 minutes ago, any2cards said:

^--- This. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't take this game if they GAVE it to me. The art, the boards, etc., all look cheesy ...

And for those who claim (other threads) that they can't provide game mechanics, etc. right now, that is disingenuous at best, misleading at worse. I think they are afraid to do so, because it will be just another nail in the coffin that points at how crappy this game is going to be ... thus ruining their potential sales.

I will say it again ... I am willing to take bets that at the very least ACT III of this game NEVER sees the light of day. It is possible ACT II won't either.

While FFG could provide details at this time they usually wait until closer to release. Just because they are not releasing info at this time means nothing. Insinuating that they are afraid to do so does not make sense to me since at some point before that game is available they are going to release more info.

5 hours ago, tibia said:

Exactly, who cares 🙂

I care, is it OK with you all if I'm excited to see more?

21 hours ago, williaps said:

It looks like FFG has delayed the release. I thought it was going to come out in Q1 2021 and now it's delayed to Q2 2021...bummer.

It was originally announced for Q2, but looks like it was moved to Q3, including editing the original release article.

Here is where I copied directly from the article last month.

Pushing it out a few months is a good idea, especially if they can address some of the communities more reasonable concerns.

Most likely due cov19 delays. Nothing, more nothing less. I Expect zero changes to the game!

but it may allow more time to bug hunt the app. But as I said every product gets delays because cov19 is gaining speed again!

10 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

but it may allow more time to bug hunt the app...

I do appreciate your enthusiasm ... but have you EVER played an FFG game? Play testing / bug testing / consistency in rules, card text, etc. is most assuredly NOT their forte ... 😜

May be so :)

but to be real, for example Jime app has got several patches, so They do and have to do updates to the app!

16 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

but to be real, for example Jime app has got several patches, so They do and have to do updates to the app!

I think the complaint is more that it's surprising to see blatant errors make it through play testing. Mansions of Madness for instance, I've seen versions of a couple scenarios that just don't work. How the heck did that make it into the final product? Let alone hang around for years despite the bugs being reported.

I think the art isn't great, but I honestly am considering buying the game. BUT it doesn't feel worth it because it doesn't have a competitive experience attached to it. If I want to play co-op adventure games, aren't there better more flexible games for that like, just throwing out the king and queen of adventure here, D&D and Pathfinder?

Rigid rules work best in competitive experiences.

Edited by The MechE
5 hours ago, The MechE said:

I think the art isn't great, but I honestly am considering buying the game. BUT it doesn't feel worth it because it doesn't have a competitive experience attached to it. If I want to play co-op adventure games, aren't there better more flexible games for that like, just throwing out the king and queen of adventure here, D&D and Pathfinder?

Rigid rules work best in competitive experiences.

There is a big difference between a tabletop roleplaying game, such as Pathfinder or AD&D, and a tabletop coop adventure board game, such as Descent: Legends, Mansions of Madness, Gloomhaven, etc. Although, D&D did take a stab at the genre with games such as Castle Ravenloft and The Legend of Drizzit .

With a coop adventure board game, nearly all of the roleplaying aspect is stripped out, gameplay is streamlined and simplified, and you are simply playing a tactical game attempting to beat a scenario. Its also usually just pick-up-and-play, without having to worry about creating and tracking campaigns, generating characters, generating NPCs, world building, and all of the other weight of a traditional role playing game. It really is a completely different monster and scratches a completely different itch.

Getting a Pathfinder game going can take a lot of work and scheduling. I can grab Descent off the shelf and get run through The Delve or Trials of Frostgate any time I feel like it.

All FFG forums shutting down on Feb 1st. Just another coincidence? It seems like one closing announcement after another.

Edited by Cotgrave

Maybe if they shut down the forums and push the game release back, everybody will forget how much they hate it. Or at least it's failure won't look like a big black mark when Asmodee tries to sell them.

1 hour ago, frankelee said:

Maybe if they shut down the forums and push the game release back, everybody will forget how much they hate it. Or at least it's failure won't look like a big black mark when Asmodee tries to sell them.

There is NO CHANCE that I will forget how much I hate what Legends of the Dark is proposed to be ... perhaps the shutdown of forums site wide is due to the amount of negative feedback that has occurred across many of their games ...

9 minutes ago, any2cards said:

There is NO CHANCE that I will forget how much I hate what Legends of the Dark is proposed to be ... perhaps the shutdown of forums site wide is due to the amount of negative feedback that has occurred across many of their games ...

Not at all.

Honestly, more news is released via social media channels that doesn't get posted on their website here, or on the forums. X-Wing got more current news via developers chatting on the community Discord , and as a recent example, I had to dig up on Twitter that FFG Live streams had been cancelled through the rest of 2020 ; they didn't bother to post that on the FFG Live section of this website or the news feed on the front page.

Basically, this website and the attached forums has been neglected for years and now they are just going to make it official that they don't want the forums anymore.

****, little reported bugs that would take a few seconds to correct, like this:
yelBAVT.png

... have existed for years because no one is taking care of the forums.

Edited by kris40k

If this in any way helps keep people's jobs and moves them forward to a new stability (that this part of a larger plan), then I wish them well. Kris40K is right that they haven't really participated in the forums, in my experience.

I can say I am a bit concerned that some of my pre-orders have been delayed here in Canada (all Arkham LCG) - I was told that quite simply stuff just never arrived, and that 401 didn't have a reason why to share. A lot of changes and Covid complications to be sure, I just hope Asmodee doesn't whittle down the tree so much that it falls over. Lots of decent years with FFG, and just as many red flags as of late - but all is speculation, for sure.

Edited by Cotgrave

Man FFG is tumbling fast. Hopefully all of this shuffling around helps them recover. Right now I would be really nervous buying into anything FFG is making cause it seems like it could blow up at any moment.

Definitely going to be a wait and see approach for all of their games moving forward.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:55 PM, kris40k said:

Not at all.

Honestly, more news is released via social media channels that doesn't get posted on their website here, or on the forums. X-Wing got more current news via developers chatting on the community Discord , and as a recent example, I had to dig up on Twitter that FFG Live streams had been cancelled through the rest of 2020 ; they didn't bother to post that on the FFG Live section of this website or the news feed on the front page.

Basically, this website and the attached forums has been neglected for years and now they are just going to make it official that they don't want the forums anymore.

****, little reported bugs that would take a few seconds to correct, like this:
yelBAVT.png

... have existed for years because no one is taking care of the forums.

Sad but true.

LOTR LCG was cancelled recently.

it wasn't announced on the website but in a AMA live stream almost a year ago. Very poor communication from FFG on that one, made me wonder why I should keep checking the FFG news section.

Company owned forums are the first place a new game owner should go to ask questions, especially for new games without an active community. If I get legends and have important rules questions about the game where should I go for an official answer?

45 minutes ago, mulletcheese said:

Sad but true.

LOTR LCG was cancelled recently.

it wasn't announced on the website but in a AMA live stream almost a year ago. Very poor communication from FFG on that one, made me wonder why I should keep checking the FFG news section.

Company owned forums are the first place a new game owner should go to ask questions, especially for new games without an active community. If I get legends and have important rules questions about the game where should I go for an official answer?

Just 2 remarks: first one, LOTR LCG is not officially canceled, they announced it is on a hiatus and there will be more info about it in the future.

Second one about "If I get legends and have important rules questions about the game where should I go for an official answer?". Having the forums suspended sucks, I agree, but the designers never actually participated here, so you couldn't ever have an official answer via these forums. There's a contact formular for that and it used to work pretty well.

30 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Just 2 remarks: first one, LOTR LCG is not officially canceled, they announced it is on a hiatus and there will be more info about it in the future.

The problem is that they announced this in a AMA and not in the news section, a tiny fraction of players would sit through a video compared to those that would scroll through the headlines of the news section.

Not getting new content for 1 year+ while the "hiatus" message is hidden away gives the impression that the game is dead. Shops will be stuck with stock the cannot sell, players will have incomplete collections because they found out too late that reprints won't be happening, people who are only just joining the game will think they wasted their money. FFG have effectively killed the game, whatever their intentions, and they did it on the sly by not putting this major news in the news section.

The news section of this site is not always reliable, the upcoming section no longer shows reprints, the forum section is going, the descent quest vault is gone. I'm running out of reasons to visit this site.

I follow KS for upcoming board games, BGG news, a UK board game FB group and this site. once I stop coming to this site I will lose touch with FFG news and any non-UK people on the forums.

1 hour ago, mulletcheese said:

The problem is that they announced this in a AMA and not in the news section, a tiny fraction of players would sit through a video compared to those that would scroll through the headlines of the news section.

Not getting new content for 1 year+ while the "hiatus" message is hidden away gives the impression that the game is dead. Shops will be stuck with stock the cannot sell, players will have incomplete collections because they found out too late that reprints won't be happening, people who are only just joining the game will think they wasted their money. FFG have effectively killed the game, whatever their intentions, and they did it on the sly by not putting this major news in the news section.

The news section of this site is not always reliable, the upcoming section no longer shows reprints, the forum section is going, the descent quest vault is gone. I'm running out of reasons to visit this site.

I follow KS for upcoming board games, BGG news, a UK board game FB group and this site. once I stop coming to this site I will lose touch with FFG news and any non-UK people on the forums.

I'm not refuting the inconvenience of announcing this in an AMA, nor the consequences of discontinuing the game (in fact it is pretty much always in need of reprint for certain packs), I'm refuting your statement "LOTR LCG was cancelled recently". It is not officially the case.

As for the forums, as I said, no official response came from them, which was your first claim. I'm not discussing the pity which is losing contact with some people, which I'm sure is certain.

We also had to find out IA was done in an AMA. Horrible professionalism.

I understand this is a business first, but you have to treat your customers with respect. If you keep kyboshing their favourite games without warning, and without even really telling them because you're scared what it would mean for sales, then you can't expect them to come back.

Especially not with the current competition on there, via Kickstarter alone!

FFG is in a world of hurt right now.

On delays I think there are legitimate reasons- a lot of Kickstarters have had a terrible time with container shortages, other scheduling issues and of course Covid- making games is a slow process even without delays (just the shipping alone can take some time) so release dates always have some stretch. For various reasons this seems to be much more significant currently.

Maybe they've also decided to tweak it a little after the feedback, but as we're in Asmodee land now maybe not.

I still have more I like than I dislike about it (for me it's far better than a lot of the criticism hurled at it suggests). It still seems very over-priced in a way that slightly concerns me about its chances of appealing to new players considering game purchases. I'll still probably get it but maybe only when it's been discounted. If they perfected it it would be worth the price but they've said what we've seen re tile designs etc is final. At the moment to be brutally honest I don't think it's there yet.

If they did tweak it a bit it could do well with a release date then as it's probably good for seasonal purchases/gifting, but they need to think about the feedback, maybe not everything, but ignoring the feedback altogether could mean it's even more expensive for Asmodee than the customer as it's going to be a push to win back those who don't like it as is. IE it could fall very painfully off the proverbial cliff which as a longstanding resident of Terrinoth would be horrible to see happen.