Squadrons

By zhentil, in X-Wing

So looking at the Star Wars Squadrons, I am wondering what builds you can do based off of those in the little movies.

One I was looking at was the Empire Build one. Not sure if you can do it or not.

3 Ties

1 Tie Bomber

1 Tie Reaper

Just a thought exercise for us.

1 minute ago, zhentil said:

So looking at the Star Wars Squadrons, I am wondering what builds you can do based off of those in the little movies.

One I was looking at was the Empire Build one. Not sure if you can do it or not.

3 Ties

1 Tie Bomber

1 Tie Reaper

Just a thought exercise for us.

I think someone came up with a “Squadrons Format” for X-Wing. I think the rules were something like 200 point builds, exactly five ships, one of each type used in Squadrons (which meant two of one of them).

That was before the Defender and B-Wing were added to Squadrons. So I’d maybe change the rules a little, to keep every list from being

Reaper/U-Wing

Interceptor/A-Wing

Fighter/X-Wing

Defender/B-Wing

Bomber/Y-Wing

i personally would just make it a five ship minimum, with any ships usable. You want four B’s and a Y? Go for it. 3 x TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, TIE Defender? Sure. ABXYU? Awesome.

I also don’t know which pilots are usable, if it’s generic only, or if Wedge, Luke, and Soontir Fel are cool. I kinda feel like maybe it oughtta be generics only?

A duplicate limit would HAVE to be imposed now that the Defender is valid. I, for one, do NOT wish to go up against FIVE TIE DEFENDERS.

18 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

A duplicate limit would HAVE to be imposed now that the Defender is valid. I, for one, do NOT wish to go up against FIVE TIE DEFENDERS.

That could only happen if they change the points. 200 points means no more than 2.

22 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

FIVE TIE DEFENDERS.

FIVE...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952knvc538oao03y9gg58

3 hours ago, Wolfshead said:

That could only happen if they change the points. 200 points means no more than 2.

No more than one, actually.

If the format requires exactly five ships as above, two naked Deltas and three naked Academies would be 202 points.

8 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

No more than one, actually.

If the format requires exactly five ships as above, two naked Deltas and three naked Academies would be 202 points.

Correct, as I understand it.

This information is all provided with the caveat that I did not invent this format, and I have no idea at all what the actual rules are. As to who did? I cannot recall, but I think I read it on someone’s blog or something.

9 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Correct, as I understand it.

This information is all provided with the caveat that I did not invent this format, and I have no idea at all what the actual rules are. As to who did? I cannot recall, but I think I read it on someone’s blog or something.

@Kyle Ren was the one that put up the original post here iirc. Was for either a Vassal or TTS league they had going.

I was thinking more on this, and I had some thoughts about the format.

It seems sort of true to the Squadrons game that only generic pilots be allowed on the fighters. After all, the game isn’t about Wedge, Luke, and Fel, and their wingmates. It’s about the team. Having too much focus on a hero unit seems a bit antithematic. However, part of the fun of X-Wing is the cool pilots and their fun abilities. Locking those out feels like it might oversimplify things too much. It’s also problematic because it severely limits list building; the Reaper, for example, is left with only one pilot (Scarif Base Pilot), and that i1 guy can’t even equip a talent upgrade. So that’s one issue I see, and I was thinking that one possible solution might be to put an initiative cap on ships. Like, maybe no pilots of i5 or greater.

I also wonder if unique Crew and Gunner upgrades ought to be allowed. Like, Fifth Brother? Sloane? Darth Vader? Director Krennic? Jyn Erso? Chewbacca? Maybe only guys who don’t have the Force? Maybe only Gunners and Crew who cost less than ten points?