In Game Tactics vs Hyperspace ETA

By Boom Owl, in X-Wing

2df1a198c99270e2d477745b3a6f2548.jpg

Throwing out some quick general thoughts on possible counter tactics versus multiple ETA hyperspace list matchups to get discussion started.

Example lists here include but are not limited to:

• Pred Patience Hull Ani + Pred Patience Hull Obi + Pred Patience Hull Aayla (189)
  • Pred Ani + Pred Obi + 3 Dedicated V-Wings (199)
  • Pred Ani + Pred Obi + 2 Dedicated Arc-170s (199)
  • Pred Ani + Pred Obi + 3 V-Wings (190)
  • Pred Ani + Pred Obi + Aayla or Shaak or Yoda + `1

In Game Counter Tactics (Fall into Difficult, Not that Difficult, and Questionable/Unclear):

• Play for and target half point win conditions
  • Get multiple guns on target and hope they cooperate and opt in (i.e. at least 3 Three Dice Focus, 6 Two Dice Focus, shots are a toss up to threaten excluding dedicated )
  • Commit to threatening a piece but keep options open to "turn back" at the rest of the list
  • Block/Occupy system phase reposition options, not really something you plan for.
  • Whittle down their force charges and keep pressure on same target over multiple rounds
  • ETAs candy cane looks like an activation phase barrel roll + system phase roll + hard 1 turn.
  • They also generally drift in to close range with 2 banks.
  • The bank boost + hard 1 turn move is another common ETA move you can anticipate.
  • Use above to set a block/box.
  • Remember they can purple talon boost or roll. Necessary to plan for the possibility of a 2 talon.
  • Same goes for fairly typical roll or boost + 5 forward or 3 bank disengage attempts.
  • If you guess right you can punish these attempts to disengage.
  • Set up target locks when possible particularly on turns they might disengage
  • Block and occupy activation reposition options with your ships or obstacles
  • Plan for Anakin to remove Target Locks with his pilot ability
  • Plan for dealing with Dedicated fueled rerolls and remove the support V-Wings
  • Target the Jedi with the weaker token stack and the least available escape route
  • Fortress before the 1st engage (not legal)
  • Plan for dealing with Aayla's flanking mission to fuel focus results on defense.
  • Ani and Obi will typically operate in a loose range 2 pair with Aayla separated on a different path.
  • Prioritize removing Anakin if you have i5s and i6s of your own
  • Anticipate multi-angle ace recycle engages, basically 2-3 whispers will loosely circle their target with obstacles in the way
  • Do not under-estimate the offensive output of the ETA. It will get multiple 3-4 dice predator shots off per game particularly for late game init kills
  • Recognize when a player is leaning into the ETAs defensive profile and targeting a 75 min win con vs being more aggressive.
  • The matchups can be very different depending on the type of ETA player
  • Tech stuff that might help:
    • i5 and i6 stuff
    • Jedi with a bid
    • Kylo with a bid
    • Ion Torps
    • Strain mechanics
    • Jam mechanics
    • Bomb control
    • Turrets
Edited by Boom Owl

You either want to be at R1 or R3 of these in your first engage.

R1 because it limits their Systems Phase action to disengage.

R3 because it limits their damage on you and because it gives you more room to cast a net to catch them on the next turn.

In general, I'm strongly in favor of rules against fortressing...

...but i5 and i6 ships with roll and boost decloaking, 3 agility plus stealth device, three force, white evade, and 3-dice primary predator rerolls make me want to carve out exceptions.

My only good advice is to consider them in the listbuilding phase (I know that's not the topic, but seriously these things can reasonably lol out of any damage from *an entire vulture swarm*). Bring i6, a ludicrous bid, or dial peeking to pin them down.

Edited by Ablazoned
18 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

...but i5 and i6 ships with roll and boost decloaking, 3 agility plus stealth device, three force, white evade, and 3-dice primary predator rerolls make me want to carve out exceptions.

My only good advice is to consider them in the listbuilding phase (I know that's not the topic, but seriously these things can reasonably lol out of any damage from *an entire vulture swarm*). Bring i6, a ludicrous bid, or dial peeking to pin them down.

Same team. If it makes you feel any better stealth is band. The search continues.

holes-gif-7.gif

Bombs that force them into sub-optimal repositioning are theoretically good due to their low health pool, though I haven't actually played since the LAAT dropped so take that with a grain of salt.

45 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

The trick is that Alec is right, but also everything is made up so if your opponent wants to play etas you can say no thanks and alt tab out.

Played against these the other day. Was an Anakin, Obi and Aayla hull upgrade juke list against my OT Poe, Zizi, Lu'lo and Merl.

Advantageously Merl worked really well in opening engagement as my opponent lined up is bullseye with Anakin and my remaining list all got shots with him only having two agility. Manage to get 2 hull off of him with no return. Also managing to strip the evades and negate the juke.

Regardless that's all situational. What I learnt was Eta's aren't double reposition arc dodgers. They are "fainters", they make you double guess your set moves. However that reposition power does come with a price, I found it became easier to read my opponents intentions once he repositioned. It allowed my to get the blocks in easier or position to so he could not line up his bullseye.

Once or twice he caught me off guard, the "faint" as it were, and managed to block my Poe.

I ended up winning the game, but after I reflected on it with my opponent and the strength I see in the system phase repostion is being able to be both a blocker and an ace. He has the oppertunity to reposition to block my move and then reposition to attack. It's their main strength. However arc dodging isn't one of them, found it easy enough to avoid the bullseye.

Token stacking is thier main defence, catch one and focus fire and hope for some variance to swing your way is your main strategy.

Edited by Tyhar7
13 hours ago, jagsba said:

if your opponent wants to play etas anything you don't feel like playing against , you can say no thanks and alt tab out.

Quoted and edited for reasons.

Bombs

Autoblaster

Palob

Wedge

Also don't get discouraged when you are not doing damage. As long as you are lowering their force bank you are potentially gaining ground.

Also the candy cane is a very predictable move. (Barrel roll away plus 1 hard in)

Edited by TBot
14 hours ago, TBot said:

Palob

Wedge

Palob and Wedge aren't in hyperspace, but they would work in Extended pretty well. I started tooling around with Palob again last night since the Crow, and he is in the realm of usable points now. Not strong, but usable.