Opinions on Swivel-Mount Batteries

By Divad, in Star Wars: Armada

5 minutes ago, Divad said:
22 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

It really isn't though. You invest 4 pts (APT) plus 4 pts (OE) plus 8pts (this upgrade) = 16pts.

Acclamators will probably be bringing APT or ACM and OE anyway. With a CF dial you can add in a second black die. Three reds and two blacks with OE rerolls and APT’s from long range is a pretty good deal in my opinion. It’s what Sato wishes he could be.

6 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

So I won't claim it's good, but... it might be okay?

Name: Exhaust Ports Beware
Faction: Republic
Commander: Bail Organa

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Solar Corona

Acclamator I (66)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (4)
• Swivel-Mount Batteries (8)
= 82 Points

Acclamator I (66)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
= 82 Points

Acclamator I (66)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
= 82 Points

Acclamator I (66)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
= 82 Points

Consular Armed Cruiser (37)
• Bail Organa (28)
• Hondo Ohnaka (2)
• Radiant VII (1)
• Munitions Resupply (3)
= 71 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 399

Not a bad list. Well, other than it costs as much as a PS5, heh.

On 12/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, Snipafist said:

They're awful on Separatists, who are double-arcing: the faction.

No they are not. A Muni has a very narrow front arc and can normally only trigger ion cannon crits from there. Coupled with Kraken this card gets you a guaranteed trigger of heavy ion emplacements fromt your sidearc at long range. Or two uses out of Ion Cannon Batteries while double arcing.

Edited by >kkj
16 minutes ago, >kkj said:

No they are not. A Muni has a very narrow front arc and can normally only trigger ion cannon crits from there. Coupled with Kraken this card gets you a guaranteed trigger of heavy ion emplacements fromt your sidearc at long range.

Evade

12 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Evade

Not every ship has it and if you roll the blue crit naturally you can use kraken for a red accuracy. Also, you can confire another blue in there.

Edited by >kkj
On 12/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Herr Style said:

I’d be ok with this if it didn’t need a confire token to un-exhaust and it only affected shooting at ships, so you still had full flak out an adjacent hull (thinking Hardcell battle refit). Otherwise LTT’s for me.

You only need to unexhaust when you want to move the focus token.

I love the Swivels on Acclimators. Ships will be trying to stay out of your front, so I tend to place my focus token on a side hull zone, and rip those APTs off at long range. Yeah, you need OE to help with the crit, but if you have a ConFire command and Zak, that's three black at long (plus your two normal red). That makes

even Sato blush. Yeah, you're not going to do that *every* round, but it will give some good damage to incoming ships on approach. Totally worth the points IMO.

So to sum up it looks like:

• They allow you to shift dice colors to arcs that don't have them (so a Muni, Acclamator and Counselor can now throw blue from their sides)
  • They allow you to bypass the original range limit for whatever die you shift so blues and blacks can be made long range
  • They effectively allow you to mess with the mix of each color of each die you're ultimately throwing between both arcs of a double arc shot. (i.e. a Muni Comms that normally would front-side with 2reds/2 blues and 3 reds could instead throw 1red/2 blues and 3 reds/1 blue meaning you can get more blue dice overall if you're willing to give up a red because there's no restriction on what color dice you have to remove from a weakened arc
  • If double arcing and assuming you disperse rather than concentrate the die you're shifting, you get a better chance to trigger crits since the die are now more spread over two arcs
  • They still have that really stupid flak penalty

Does this cover it?

Edited by Garrett17
1 hour ago, eliteone said:

You only need to unexhaust when you want to move the focus token.

My bad then, thanks for the clarification! I think I was looking at this from a purely Separatist fleet with Munificent and Hardcell composition and couldn’t see me fitting it in. I didn’t consider the Acclimator for “the other side” lol.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:06 PM, Ginkapo said:

Epic. Count me in

Black pew pew at long range count everyone in.....

Yea, it's good, but Evade will pretty easily shut down any attempt to YOLO an APT/ACM black crit through at long range or medium range. Still, against certain targets, it's pretty dope.

Related : I do wish this game had differentiated its use of "dice pool" into two terms: one term referring to the dice you gather before rolling dice and one referring to the dice y ou've already rolled. Both things being "dice pool" is a little confusing, and it's weird you can add/replace dice sometimes before rolling but typically otherwise only after rolling. This causes a lot of confusion in my experience, especially for new players, and we can just look up at even veteran players here who didn't realize you could add the Black at long range via Swivel. And it's amazing to me how many players give me conflicting answers when asked "so when I roll a Salvo attack, do I roll my printed rear arc regardless of range OR only the dice from my printed rear arc that would be in legal range?"

29 minutes ago, EBerling said:

it's weird you can add/replace dice sometimes before rolling but typically otherwise only after rolling.

You can never add dice before rolling. Battery can be passively increased, but that’s different. “Add” is that differentiating term you’re looking for.

Replacing is weird because it only happens before rolling so far, but Varnillian basically makes an informed replacement after rolling... a little messy indeed but thankfully a rare exception.

You can choose what colour dice after rolling