Rebel Long Range Build?

By Aladdynsane, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

20 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Use the 1.5 Evade rules. They can always Evade, even up close. But even in 1.0, I typically found that their maneuverability is such that most opponents can’t kill them before they slip away. And why would you ever run an MC30 WITHOUT Ordnance Experts?? Even now that OE’s only affect two dice, the card is fantastic on that ship, but before the recent errata, it was absolutely, if quietly, broken.

I really think you aren’t seeing the raw power the MC30 represents. The ship is a beast.

(Keep in mind all my experience with this list/mc30 build is pre 1.5)

Well. I didn't sail them close because I needed their continuous pressure. If I let them eat a big shot, sure they'll survive it, but after that they will be fragile a might need to flee with them. My opponent rushed me almost every game anyway, so in the end I was usually able to unload those racks. I know OE was quite broken, I included OE in most my black dice builds for any ship, but I use the red dice version in an Ackbar fleet for a reason. If I was building them around black dice I'd use a different commander and the blue dice version and a black crit. I won't do continuous damage at close range, because I have Ackbar. Black dice ships aren't excel at continuous damage anyway, so OE would be a one-two use card most of the time and that doesn't worth its 4 pts in my opinion, especially I'd have to ditch something else for this to work. (tried it)

I don't think you are right with your last sentence. I played this exact list as my main for a year and a half. This mc30 setup never failed me. Never. I believe in this fleet. Don't worry I know the power of Landmonition+OE+crit. But that's not the only use of it i believe. Just because it is unorthodox it doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad or sub-optimal. On top of that, I really enjoy it, satisfied with its performance, plus I am proud of it, because it is off the beaten track and discovered it by myself (maybe others discovered it as well, i just dont know it), and not something one'd see as a possibility immediately when it glances over the cards. I encourage you to try some unorthodox things (like that pelta list ;) ) which may or may not work. Experience with it, tweak it over time, learn how to fly them in a list, until you know everything about them. Then you can go into battles with your own, very unique list while knowing this is your own child and will do everything for you, which is, in my opinion one of the best feelings. (Don't take these words as offense, I don't know you or the fleets you play with, so maybe you are already doing this, but i truly think that this is the way :D )

On 1/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, sasska said:

(Keep in mind all my experience with this list/mc30 build is pre 1.5)

Well. I didn't sail them close because I needed their continuous pressure. If I let them eat a big shot, sure they'll survive it, but after that they will be fragile a might need to flee with them. My opponent rushed me almost every game anyway, so in the end I was usually able to unload those racks. I know OE was quite broken, I included OE in most my black dice builds for any ship, but I use the red dice version in an Ackbar fleet for a reason. If I was building them around black dice I'd use a different commander and the blue dice version and a black crit. I won't do continuous damage at close range, because I have Ackbar. Black dice ships aren't excel at continuous damage anyway, so OE would be a one-two use card most of the time and that doesn't worth its 4 pts in my opinion, especially I'd have to ditch something else for this to work. (tried it)

I don't think you are right with your last sentence. I played this exact list as my main for a year and a half. This mc30 setup never failed me. Never. I believe in this fleet. Don't worry I know the power of Landmonition+OE+crit. But that's not the only use of it i believe. Just because it is unorthodox it doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad or sub-optimal. On top of that, I really enjoy it, satisfied with its performance, plus I am proud of it, because it is off the beaten track and discovered it by myself (maybe others discovered it as well, i just dont know it), and not something one'd see as a possibility immediately when it glances over the cards. I encourage you to try some unorthodox things (like that pelta list ;) ) which may or may not work. Experience with it, tweak it over time, learn how to fly them in a list, until you know everything about them. Then you can go into battles with your own, very unique list while knowing this is your own child and will do everything for you, which is, in my opinion one of the best feelings. (Don't take these words as offense, I don't know you or the fleets you play with, so maybe you are already doing this, but i truly think that this is the way :D )

I think I just feel that, as @Green Knight said, not building to take advantage of the black dice on the MC30 leaves you with extremely (almost double the price!) expensive CR-90’s. You’re leaning AWAY from their greatest strength, and trying to get them to fill a role which can be filled by a smaller, cheaper ship just as effectively. The black dice you’re paying a massive premium for are being relegated to a backup plan. They ought to be the stars of the show.

Personally, I don’t even like using Turbolaser Reroute Circuits on MC30’s, because they rob you of some of your defenses. I didn’t like this before the Evade changes, and it looks like an even worse idea to me now that those Evades are usable up close. I’m willing to bet that one of the reasons you find your MC30’s to be less survivable is because you’re busy spending your Evade tokens on offense.

I’m all for using unorthodox builds and novel ideas, but there’s playing against type a bit, and then there’s trying to jam a round peg into a square hole. You want to TRC/Ackbar and harass someone from long range? Use the CR-90A. The savings you get from chopping two 90 point MC30’s gets you three CR-90’s, complete with TRC’s. Cut three MC30’s, get what, five Corvettes? Or, go ahead and use one or two of those MC30’s, but drop the TRC’s, add Assault Concussion Missiles, and GET IN THERE. Get close. Ackbar still helps! But those black dice are what the ship is for. I even like the Enhanced Armament/External Racks/MC30 Torpedo Frigate/Ackbar combo. Concentrate Fire for an 11-die broadside, and survive the return fire like a pro. Feels good, man!