Which small Imperial cruiser?

By Andreievitch, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

What would be the smallest Imperial cruiser that could carry an Imperial Drop Ship (as seen in The Mandalorian) or a TIE Reaper, and also some TIEs (min 2 or so)?

Could an Arquitens-class carry a Reaper and some TIEs? Even if it is only 2?

Edited by Andreievitch

Wookiepedia says 3 TIE and 2 Lambda. Sounds about right I'd say.

I had an Arquitens equipped with 1 Wing of Ties (so 3 as 2P51 said) and mixed is up by having 1 Tie Reaper for military operations and a Lamda Shuttle for VIP and other brass stuff.

I think that's a good complement for a ship of that size, it is not much but imperial ships have a tendency to have very small fighter complements, which made me add Carrier Type ships (canon is a bit scarce with these but anything from a Quasar up to a Impellor Class Fleet Carrier / I.M.P.S Relentless Style Carrier is crazy fun to add).

5 hours ago, Fl1nt said:

1 Wing of Ties (so 3

This word, "wing," I do not think it means what you think it means.

54 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

That might well be true 😃
It's what I use to describe small groups of fighters, but since my campaign isnt in english this might be the wrong word, my bad ;)

2 hours ago, Fl1nt said:

That might well be true 😃
It's what I use to describe small groups of fighters, but since my campaign isnt in english this might be the wrong word, my bad ;)

TIE squadrons are split into either four flights of three fighters or three flights of two elements of two fighters each.

Any Light Cruiser will fit the bill, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than that. Keep in mind it's not just the vehicle bay that's important but the ship needs to be large enough to accommodate at least 20 troops plus officers per lander. Also not all ships are going to carry a dedicated complement of ground troops but most can if you need them too so just do it if you need it.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, HappyDaze said:

Wing has different meaning. 2 fighters is a flight. 2 flights is a wing, 3 wings is a squadron. 4 squadrons is an Air Wing. which in this case would be a Space Wing. so I would go with the 2 flights definition of wing in this case.

1 hour ago, FuriousGreg said:

Any Light Cruiser will fit the bill, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than that. Keep in mind it's not just the vehicle bay that's important but the ship needs to be large enough to accommodate at least 20 troops plus officers per lander. Also not all ships are going to carry a dedicated complement of ground troops but most can if you need them too so just do it if you need it.

It also needs to be big enough space to do maintenance on the craft is carries. so technically it probably can carry more than what is listed in a pinch. and likely these assault landing craft likely take the place of the reaper and the Lamba. Or they are foregoing having room for maintenance.

Edited by Daeglan
4 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Wing has different meaning. 2 fighters is a flight. 2 flights is a wing, 3 wings is a squadron. 4 squadrons is an Air Wing. which in this case would be a Space Wing. so I would go with the 2 flights definition of wing in this case.

This is Star Wars. In Star Wars, a wing is typically 6 squadrons (72 fighters).

5 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

This is Star Wars. In Star Wars, a wing is typically 6 squadrons (72 fighters).

That would be the Air Wing connotation. not the wing with in the squadron context.

10 hours ago, Daeglan said:

That would be the Air Wing connotation. not the wing with in the squadron context.

In Star Wars, I see Element (2 craft), Flight (2 Elements), Squadron (3 Flights).

A Wing is 3 Squadrons, and a Group is 2 Wings.

In the Imperial Navy, a TIE Squadron can come in either 4 Flights of 3 craft or in 3 Flights of 2 Elements.

So if anyone hasn't seen The Mandalorian... I know, silly question, but now we know what the hanger bay of a light cruiser looks like. We also know that it has at least two drop shuttles and it looked like six Ties.

The forward launch bay on the Arquitens looks a little small for a TIE Reaper, which I believe is wider than a Lambda shuttle, and that Lambda barely squeezes in there in the first place.

However, we also saw there was some kind of hangar bay or access on the ventral hull, which might fit the bill better. The Arquitens definitely got scaled up substantially for the Mandalorian.

12 minutes ago, abookfulblockhead said:

The forward launch bay on the Arquitens looks a little small for a TIE Reaper, which I believe is wider than a Lambda shuttle, and that Lambda barely squeezes in there in the first place.

However, we also saw there was some kind of hangar bay or access on the ventral hull, which might fit the bill better. The Arquitens definitely got scaled up substantially for the Mandalorian.

I'm not so sure it was scaled up. It's over 300 meters long already.

The TIE reaper is 16.5 meters wide, which is about 3 meters wider than a Lambda, by my estimation. If it can get through, it's really tight. I think the TIEs and the Lambda might've actually been out of scale, as the TIEs are only 6.5 meters wide. Anything wide enough for a Lambda would be almost wide enough for two TIEs.

I think that access was just for deploying the darktroopers, it didn't look like it had enough space for a ship. I could see putting TIE racks there, maybe .