Enemy ship at range 0 in firing arc or not

By muzhyou, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Not that many ships I flew required me to think about this in the past, but it comes to my mind since I'm just going to fly Eta-2.

Here is the scene:

If an enemy ship bumps into you and makes itself at range 0 to you, is it in your firing arc?

I'm now resolving this with "no".

Since it is said in FAQ that you yourself is not in your firing arc, I believe the range requirement for judging a ship is in the firing arc or not is from range 1 to range 3, but - there is not a sentence saying that in the Rules Reference.

Anyone could help?

Screenshot-20201214-094157.jpg

i'm not sure i follow you. as long as an object is in the area formed between the lines created by extending the lines printed on a ship token to range 3, it's in arc. you're not in your own arc, but everything beyond you to range 3 is in your arc.

6 minutes ago, meffo said:

Screenshot-20201214-094157.jpg

i'm not sure i follow you. as long as an object is in the area formed between the lines created by extending the lines printed on a ship token to range 3, it's in arc. you're not in your own arc, but everything beyond you to range 3 is in your arc.

Right. You find the text where we should look at and I just missed.

I'm not sure about this neither and I used to treat those ships at range 0 as being in the firing arc but just lost confidence about the judge recently, since I do have some problems on understanding of a language that is not my mother tongue and is not used that often.

The RR says:

ARC
An arc is an area formed between the lines created by extending hash marks or arc lines printed on a ship token to range 3. A ship is in an arc if any part of its base is inside that area.
·Arcs are measured beyond the base of ships. The portion of any object that lies beneath a ship is not in any of those ship's arcs.

Since no part of an enemy ship's base is allowed to lie beneath your ship's base according to the rules, whatever the range is, the ship at range 0 should be treated as being in the firing arc if any of its base is inside the area, shouldn't it?

That will be a good news for Secura.

You can also argue rule of precedent on this since there's several abilities which affect/require another ship 'at range 0-x within your firing arc' such as Palob . Logically that requirement implies that range 0 is in your firing arc.

Conversely there are abilities that affect/require another ship 'at range 1-3 in your firing arc' such as Ahsoka gunner . If R0 was not counted as in arc there would be no need for a range restriction at all on these abilities and they would just read 'in your firing arc'.

I know this is not a beginner friendly line of reasoning since there is no way to glean this hard evidence exclusively from reading the rules. It is more of an argument that reinforces the Rules as Intended that is clear to most (but not all!) players.

37 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

You can also argue rule of precedent on this since there's several abilities which affect/require another ship 'at range 0-x within your firing arc' such as Palob .

A Better example would be "Zeb" Orrelios (Crew).

If a ship at range 0 wasn't in your arc, then Zeb just never works and is pointless.

It's Range 0 in arc.

Worth noting: a ship is never in it's own firing arc.