Muneficent class frigate

By Duellist12, in Star Wars: Armada

Am I alone in love with this ship ? Not only the model is gorgeous but it is also cheap and extremely efficient. It excels at both long range (lots of red dices) and close combat (double arcing). It is good at salvoing with the rear arc 2 reds. And if it manages to avoid blocking by ramming and survives the brawl, it can make the disengagement really painful for the opponent. ; this afternoon I sank an acclamator by double arcing it from the side+rear at long range.

Looks like I need a third one, afterall.

Edited by Duellist12
2 minutes ago, Duellist12 said:

Am I alone in love with this ship ? Not only the model is gorgeous but this ship is also extremly efficient. It excels at both long range (lots of red dices) and close combat (double arcing). It is good at salvoing with the rear arc 2 reds. And if it manages to avoid blocking by ramming and survives the brawl, it can make the disengagement really painful for the opponent. ; this afternoon I sank an acclamator by double arcing it from the side+rear at long range.

Personally the Munificent is my favorite capital ship in all of Star Wars, and in Armada it seems to be an excellent ship already. My love for it convinced me to pull the trigger on a second separatist core set. One particular build I want to try is running engine techs and quad battery turrets, so that you can fly the ship at speed 1, ensuring that quad battery turrets will be effective, but still effectively can move at speed 2 because of engine techs.

The munificent has surprised me with how effective it is acually. Slap LTT on it and it's amazing

LTT should just be stapled to it. With that many red dice.... Nothing is better.

Edited by Rune Taq
Not Latte.
3 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

Latte should just be stapled to it. With that many red dice.... Nothing is better.

Plus it is really great with red AA

20 hours ago, Duellist12 said:

Am I alone in love with this ship ? Not only the model is gorgeous but it is also cheap and extremely efficient. It excels at both long range (lots of red dices) and close combat (double arcing). It is good at salvoing with the rear arc 2 reds. And if it manages to avoid blocking by ramming and survives the brawl, it can make the disengagement really painful for the opponent. ; this afternoon I sank an acclamator by double arcing it from the side+rear at long range.

You are NOT alone in the least. I've played only two games with it and I am just head-over-heels for it. Quite honestly, the Comms Frigate has dethroned the Quasar II as my favorite MED-sizer; being that it works as a slightly less effective carrier, but a WAY more competent warship. Given my affinity for squad-play, I think it's going to be making up quite a bit of the backbone of my CIS fleets for the foreseeable future, with the Hardcell being padding and the coming other Med-Lrg ships being more flagship material admittedly.

Personally, I'm only working with the one for the moment, but will probably invest in a second starter, just to have the option of two (not getting a third until the single-expansion is released).

I've faced it once, playing as the republic, with a pair of Acclamators blundering around the board. Watching the Munificents execute perfect tidy synchronised turns while I played dodgems with my morbidly obese walruses was a deeply depressing experience.

Here are the dials you choose with an Acclamator:

Turn 1 - Maneuver

Turn 2 - Squads, no wait I need another maneuver dial.

Turn 3 - Squads, no wait, maneuver or I'll hit my own side/asteroids.

Turn 4 - Engineering, no wait squads, no wait maneuver.

Turn 5 - Engi...oh, too late.

Turn 6......

How are you all getting so much game time in (presumably in quarantine)? Tabletop Simulator? Vassal? I'm sitting on multiple unused expansions at the moment, thanks to 2020!

3 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

I've faced it once, playing as the republic, with a pair of Acclamators blundering around the board. Watching the Munificents execute perfect tidy synchronised turns while I played dodgems with my morbidly obese walruses was a deeply depressing experience.

Turn 1 - Maneuver

Turn 6......

Funny enough, the two games I've played have been all VS smaller "more maneuverable" ships (Consulars and Raiders thus-far) and the Munificent couldn't care less at Speed 2 all game for both games. Just lazily putting them in just one arc, siccing squadrons on them and Slavoing on occasion did the full trick. I do look forward to seeing how it punches at its weight, or even above.

4 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

How are you all getting so much game time in (presumably in quarantine)? Tabletop Simulator? Vassal? I'm sitting on multiple unused expansions at the moment, thanks to 2020!

Last week, had one on TTS, and one where I just invited a guy over and we played a TF match on my dining table. The 3'x3' format is pretty easy for pickup games :)

8 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

Turn 1 - Maneuver

Turn 6......

It looks like you should try Bail Organa instead of Obi Wan.

2 hours ago, KaLeu said:

I think you're right. Being Raided by Dooku didn't help.

I need bloody Thrawn, that's what I need.

Edited by flatpackhamster
Autocorrect sadness
15 minutes ago, KaLeu said:

Equally problematic for TF games where commanders aren't required. So a 94pts sink minimum might be mandatory even with the 200pt cap. Yikes, glad I went CIS now XP

I did not think I was going to like this ship, until I got it in my hands on it, l loved playing assault frigates In wave one/Two. This is an assault frigate but really fine tuned and a model that does not look like a 6 year olds toy. It’s brilliant can,t wait to play 3.

The Munificent is my favourite Clone Wars. The ship model is beautiful, its firing arcs and shields are excellent, and the differences between the two versions provide great versatility.

The most important thing I've learned about using the Munificent is to queue Repair commands! Once a Munificent's shields are down, it can get wrecked if it can't Brace and/or the attacker rolls a lot of red and black doubles.

Fortunately, the Separatists are the best at Repair commands. If you keep Repairing, you can keep the Munificent alive a lot longer than your opponent, especially after you're past their front arcs and the last few rounds become turning battles or pursuits, because the Munificent's side and rear arcs are all red dice.

The only thing I don't like about the Munificent is how fragile the ship mini's appear to be, and how nerve-racking it was to mount it on its plastic stand, trying not to break anything. The spine of the ship model has pointy plastic spikes right over the mounting slot, so I had to press down on the wings with two fingers, and I was terrified they would snap off. Fortunately, that didn't happen. But I don't plan on ever taking my Munificents off their plastic stands. I might even glue them.

I have found in my triple Muni fleet that its best to make sure that you can utilize its side arcs. Sure that front arc looks nice, but I honestly think that side arc is where its at. But as others have stated, it can fly as if droids were pre-programming its directions and as long as you do some repairs from time to time it will stay up. Once the republic starts blasting at it at close range you need to be careful.

Triple munificent! I hope we‘ll get a stand alone to buy. I don‘t want 4 starter packs to fulfill my personal „rule-of-two“.

10 hours ago, sasska said:

Plus it is really great with red AA

And red 'salvo', too. LTT does a LOT of work for the Munificent.

With Armada 1.5 they nerfed all no-brainer-upgrades, but they forgot LTT. I bet, when the next RRG comes out we will find it in the Errata section being exhaustable.

I hope we get singles fairly forth width. I got a play set of Acclimators but the Munificent I want at least 3 of if not 4 (have a feeling clone war campaigns are going to be in the 600 to 800 range) can't keep buying starters for 1 ship I think the world of the Munificent, but the hard cell hasn't impressed except running 1 as a support ship giving out concentrate fire tokens. Where as I admit Charger C70 and if the Aquiten isn't changed much from the imperial version could see republic MSU being a thing.

47 minutes ago, Triangular said:

With Armada 1.5 they nerfed all no-brainer-upgrades, but they forgot LTT. I bet, when the next RRG comes out we will find it in the Errata section being exhaustable.

I think that would require FFG/AMG caring about Vassal/TTS tournaments. Otherwise, it's mostly gonna be live and let live for a year regarding LTTs (much as I love that card to death XP).

5 hours ago, Triangular said:

Honestly I'm truly surprised it DIDN'T become exhaustable.

I mean, it'd still be really good even that way . It just wouldn't be literally STAPLED to some ships like it is, now. It was pretty OP even in 1.0, but with the nerf to so many of the more powerful cards in the switch to 1.5, that it is staying the same just makes it that much more of an outlier. (I mean, even exhaustable, you'd still preferentially take it over DTTs - it has an extremely similar effect...but for 2 pts more it can really swat the **** out of a fighter squadron once, it works with 'salvo' where DTTs don't, and it doesn't eat up a modification slot. To add 'can re-use infinitely in a turn' on top of that... yikes !)

4 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Honestly I'm truly surprised it DIDN'T become exhaustable.

I mean, it'd still be really good even that way . It just wouldn't be literally STAPLED to some ships like it is, now. It was pretty OP even in 1.0, but with the nerf to so many of the more powerful cards in the switch to 1.5, that it is staying the same just makes it that much more of an outlier. (I mean, even exhaustable, you'd still preferentially take it over DTTs - it has an extremely similar effect...but for 2 pts more it can really swat the **** out of a fighter squadron once, it works with 'salvo' where DTTs don't, and it doesn't eat up a modification slot. To add 'can re-use infinitely in a turn' on top of that... yikes !)

If anything, I'd much prefer them boosting it up some points. The 10pt cards right now, save a few, all feel like they're not worth the cost. Might as well put one up there that's a catch-all and make players pay for it rather than nerf it and take away the fun-factor :P

15 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

If anything, I'd much prefer them boosting it up some points. The 10pt cards right now, save a few, all feel like they're not worth the cost. Might as well put one up there that's a catch-all and make players pay for it rather than nerf it and take away the fun-factor :P

I agree. I don't want LTT to become exhaustible because it would ruin it, but I think a points increase is warranted because LTT doesn't make sense at 7 points compared to Dual Turbolaser Turrets at 5 points, which must be exhausted, is a Mod, and doesn't have a secondary Anti-Squadron ability. I'd suggest raising LTT to 9 points and see how that works, then it could be adjusted up to 10 or down to 8.

As for the 10-points cards, Quad Turbolaser Cannons and NK-7 Ion Cannons are rarely ever used because they're over-priced.

QTC should either be changed to ANY color Accuracy allows a 2nd Accuracy die to be added, and keep it at 10 points. Or keep the card the way it is and reduce it to 5-7 points. And get rid of the Modification. The H9 + QTC combo is not OP'd so it didn't need to be nerfed out of existence. There are only 3 ships that have 2 Turbolaser slots, so the nerf was unwarranted.

NK-7 should be reduced to 7 or 8 points if the defender gets to pick the defense token to discard. If it was changed to allow the attacker getting to decide the defense token to be discarded, then it could be raised to 12 points (and perhaps made into a Mod).

5 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

I agree. I don't want LTT to become exhaustible because it would ruin it, but I think a points increase is warranted because LTT doesn't make sense at 7 points compared to Dual Turbolaser Turrets at 5 points, which must be exhausted, is a Mod, and doesn't have a secondary Anti-Squadron ability. I'd suggest raising LTT to 9 points and see how that works, then it could be adjusted up to 10 or down to 8.

As for the 10-points cards, Quad Turbolaser Cannons and NK-7 Ion Cannons are rarely ever used because they're over-priced.

QTC should either be changed to ANY color Accuracy allows a 2nd Accuracy die to be added, and keep it at 10 points. Or keep the card the way it is and reduce it to 5-7 points. And get rid of the Modification. The H9 + QTC combo is not OP'd so it didn't need to be nerfed out of existence. There are only 3 ships that have 2 Turbolaser slots, so the nerf was unwarranted.

NK-7 should be reduced to 7 or 8 points if the defender gets to pick the defense token to discard. If it was changed to allow the attacker getting to decide the defense token to be discarded, then it could be raised to 12 points (and perhaps made into a Mod).

All of these work and I have no major tweaks to add. Nice work!