Wasp **SPOILERS**

By vmoss, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

I like! I'm excited about the second Quincarrier. Also, The Power in All of Us is a nice basic resource addition that I hope we'll see more copies of in the future. And Ironheart is a super Maria Hill stand-in for solo players, especially if they aren't playing Leadership.

As for Wasp signature cards, I really like her Ant-Man ally. It's interesting that she's flipped, compared to hero Ant-Man; she deals damage while tiny and thwarts while giant, but Ant-Man does the opposite. And it might seem odd, but I'm glad that she also has the Pym Particles resource cards. Looks like they were able to make her unique while still acknowledging that her abilities come from the same place as Ant-Man's.

Now somebody needs to put me out of my misery and spoil the Scarlet Witch deck. Of the remaining hero packs she's the one I'm looking most forward to.

The Good: Wasp's kit looks very efficient and a lot of her cards allow multiple targets to be hit so you don't lose excess thwarting or damage in many cases. She changes sizes to suit what's needed but looks to want to hang out in one or the other for a while depending on board state - it's different from Ant-Man's constant shifting and yet still effective. Getting another Quincarrier is great so I don't have to move it around when I'm playing with friends that don't own the game, which was half of my playtime before the pandemic. I'm excited to get my physical copy of Jane Thor even though we've known about her for months.

The Bad: Not much to say here as far as the new cards themselves. No permanent resource generator, which really isn't necessary to begin with. However a pile of resource cards (six total copies of 'Power of' and Pym Particles plus Energy, Genius, and Strength), 'Max 1' cards, and minion-only tech means her prebuilt deck could be rough to play against most scenarios, or at least very reliant on her kit. That's a minor concern for me since I'll be moving these cards around and building something new anyway.

The Other: I wish her Pym Particles had different art with her or Janet on it. I'll just assume that's Hank so it's fine. Her alter-ego ability doesn't set up any combos or even have interaction with her other cards beyond all of her Attack and Thwart events being Mental. However Justice Wasp will love being able to shuffle in Lay Down the Law. Seems more like an ability that will get use while in AE form as opposed to one that makes you want to be in AE like Carol, Tony, Kamala, and Natasha. I think she'll spend more time in Giant form than Tiny which just feels wrong - we'll see how that pans out. Also don't think she'll get as much mileage from Swarm Tactics as Ant-Man, again not a bad thing and I can just cut it from the deck if I don't like it. I like all of the off-aspect cards that come with her but not sure how many of them will actually be used outside of Perseverance with Protections Wasp or Ant-Man. Athletic Conditioning might have use in some status-heavy scenarios but I can't help wishing it was a Support or Upgrade so it would be more likely to be around when needed.

Nice trick with spoiling into the fray for Galaxy's Most Wanted before Wasp came out. As players we're always wanting to maximize our turns, but the dev's definitely maximized there spoilers.

9 hours ago, BCumming said:

The Good: Wasp's kit looks very efficient and a lot of her cards allow multiple targets to be hit so you don't lose excess thwarting or damage in many cases. She changes sizes to suit what's needed but looks to want to hang out in one or the other for a while depending on board state - it's different from Ant-Man's constant shifting and yet still effective. Getting another Quincarrier is great so I don't have to move it around when I'm playing with friends that don't own the game, which was half of my playtime before the pandemic. I'm excited to get my physical copy of Jane Thor even though we've known about her for months.

The Bad: Not much to say here as far as the new cards themselves. No permanent resource generator, which really isn't necessary to begin with. However a pile of resource cards (six total copies of 'Power of' and Pym Particles plus Energy, Genius, and Strength), 'Max 1' cards, and minion-only tech means her prebuilt deck could be rough to play against most scenarios, or at least very reliant on her kit. That's a minor concern for me since I'll be moving these cards around and building something new anyway.

The Other: I wish her Pym Particles had different art with her or Janet on it. I'll just assume that's Hank so it's fine. Her alter-ego ability doesn't set up any combos or even have interaction with her other cards beyond all of her Attack and Thwart events being Mental. However Justice Wasp will love being able to shuffle in Lay Down the Law. Seems more like an ability that will get use while in AE form as opposed to one that makes you want to be in AE like Carol, Tony, Kamala, and Natasha. I think she'll spend more time in Giant form than Tiny which just feels wrong - we'll see how that pans out. Also don't think she'll get as much mileage from Swarm Tactics as Ant-Man, again not a bad thing and I can just cut it from the deck if I don't like it. I like all of the off-aspect cards that come with her but not sure how many of them will actually be used outside of Perseverance with Protections Wasp or Ant-Man. Athletic Conditioning might have use in some status-heavy scenarios but I can't help wishing it was a Support or Upgrade so it would be more likely to be around when needed.

Another way of describing her alter ego ability might be: You can artificially inflate the number of occurances of her signature Thwart and Attack cards, as well as some allies (Janet and Riri!) and key engine building cards (Quincarrier, and Avenger’s Mansion if you put it in) if you miss them the first time for some reason.

edit: That’s a great ability!

Edited by Derrault
1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Another way of describing her alter ego ability might be: You can artificially inflate the number of occurances of her signature Thwart and Attack cards, as well as some allies (Janet and Riri!) and key engine building cards (Quincarrier, and Avenger’s Mansion if you put it in) if you miss them the first time for some reason.

edit: That’s a great ability!

It's a pretty good ability - I just think it falls into the category of 'might as well do this while I'm here' when switching to AE as opposed to being a primary motivator for changing back to AE like Carol, etc. My hopes from the original preview article were that the ability would tie in more with her kit. Might find myself appreciating the ability more once I get to use her.

1 hour ago, BCumming said:

It's a pretty good ability - I just think it falls into the category of 'might as well do this while I'm here' when switching to AE as opposed to being a primary motivator for changing back to AE like Carol, etc. My hopes from the original preview article were that the ability would tie in more with her kit. Might find myself appreciating the ability more once I get to use her.

Also it works on her and Ant-Man’s Team-up card, so that’s pretty amazing

Her AE ability can functionally turn Riri into Clea with card draw. I think she'll be an auto-include for most Wasp decks for that reason alone.

I am not the biggest fan of her kit - Pinpoint Strike is the real only stand out card, the rest is either average (which is still a good card) or below average (her upgrades are definitely not as good as I'd like and Ant-Man is an aspect level ally).

My biggest disappointment is that I was really hoping she would have strong resource generation to make her stand out from AM. But as it is, it is roughly on par but she lacks the hyper-efficency of AM to balance it out.

Now, I did run her on TTS with an Aggression deck and it was pretty good as she does have some pretty good synergies. Surprise Attack is amazing, Martial Prowess is great (5 sig events +3 SA +w/e else), Moment of Triumph is really good with pinpoint strike, and Skilled Strike works well with Giant ability.

I think Justice also has potential, she can get to 4 basic thw with heroic intuition and helmet, lay down the law is amazing, and she does have pretty good damage potential.

So yeah, I do think she is below the tier where most heroes reside, but she does have some decent decks to the point where she is at least not a liability. Ant-Man pretty much eclipses her in every way however (he is in the same tier as CA and SpW).

Oh wow! I think aggression is getting some solid cards in this pack! I like running interference and perseverance too! All for One seems like the “weakest” card, and I only say that because if my leadership avenger deck is fully up and running lead from the front will be the better play. Not a bad card, just doesn’t fit my personal preference.

I like how Wasp is looking very different from Ant-Man despite having the same tiny/giant mechanic and I can’t wait to try her out!

19 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

I am not the biggest fan of her kit - Pinpoint Strike is the real only stand out card, the rest is either average (which is still a good card) or below average (her upgrades are definitely not as good as I'd like and Ant-Man is an aspect level ally).

My biggest disappointment is that I was really hoping she would have strong resource generation to make her stand out from AM. But as it is, it is roughly on par but she lacks the hyper-efficency of AM to balance it out.

So yeah, I do think she is below the tier where most heroes reside, but she does have some decent decks to the point where she is at least not a liability. Ant-Man pretty much eclipses her in every way however (he is in the same tier as CA and SpW).

I'm a bit surprised by your experience. Ant-Man (hero) never felt hyper-efficient to me while Wasp looks to be a different type of efficient, eliminating otherwise wasted excess thwarting or damage by redirecting it to another target. AM's upgrades are better on the whole and he's much more combo-driven than Wasp appears to be while she seems made to hit the ground running as well as finish schemes and minions off. I'm excited to try her out and see how she feels.

15 hours ago, BCumming said:

I'm a bit surprised by your experience. Ant-Man (hero) never felt hyper-efficient to me while Wasp looks to be a different type of efficient, eliminating otherwise wasted excess thwarting or damage by redirecting it to another target. AM's upgrades are better on the whole and he's much more combo-driven than Wasp appears to be while she seems made to hit the ground running as well as finish schemes and minions off. I'm excited to try her out and see how she feels.

With his ability to ping off tough, do one point of damage here or there with Army of Ants and the one point of damage when flips to Giant as well as the 1 point to all minions with Giant Stomp Ant Man seems pretty well set up to be pretty efficient...and when he flips down doing one point of thwart plugs into that...Wasp has a slight edge there but overall I am curious how you are playing Ant Man if you don't find him hyper efficient?

Please note I am not saying you are playing him wrong. It has worked for you and that is nothing but a great thing. In this game there is no right or wrong way and what is effective for one may not work at all for the next...For me personally I have found Ant Man among the best for being extremely efficient with little to no wasted damage or thwart, the exception being maybe twice his 5 thwart Hive Mind needing to do less than 5...but he is able to pinpoint and direct damage and threat among the best.

Also curious what combos you are using in the (likely) event I am missing some. My primary ones have been flipping him 2,3,4 times a turn to maximize helmet and his thwart/damage every time he flips and having his Giant Strengths out and readying him to do mass damage but I have not spent much time building his deck to optimize so I would be ecstatic to pick up couple more things. Even with the minimal deck construction I did, he quickly became a favorite until Rocket drops in...so making him better is on my "this makes me happy" list

Haven't played a lot of Ant-Man and mostly a modified version of his pre-built (with Goliath for all the size-changing allies) so I've only found him to be very efficient instead of hyper-efficient. Perhaps my quibble is in the phrasing as I certainly agree that he's great at setting enemies up with Ants to be KO'd or to be defeated by his little buddies though he doesn't have quite the same effectiveness with Thwarting. On paper I see Wasp doing the same sort of thing but a different way so I'm curious for more input from anyone who's tried her out yet.