Need some stat brainstorming (Womp Rat & B'omarr Monk)

By PrisonMic, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hey guys,

So I'm going to run a session tomorrow where my players will be using a Krayt Dragon pearl they got as a quest reward to start a more intricate quest. Basically the pearl is going to be a "key" that can open up an older underground temple. My players are on Tatooine so my way of subverting their expectations is that everyone, including the NPCs, will assume it's going to be a Jedi/Sith temple. However, to go with the Tatooine theme, I'm going to make it an ancient B'omarr temple. They'll slowly find that out with various checks and seeing operating tables, etc in there.

However, the two NPCs I was going to make as possible fights for the PCs don't have stats. One is surprising. I can't believe the Womp Rat doesn't have stats. The second is a B'omarr droid, the spider looking droid. Do you guys have any ideas or links to fan made stats for these NPCs?

1 hour ago, PrisonMic said:

However, the two NPCs I was going to make as possible fights for the PCs don't have stats. One is surprising. I can't believe the Womp Rat doesn't have stats. The second is a B'omarr droid, the spider looking droid. Do you guys have any ideas or links to fan made stats for these NPCs?

Those actually are not droids, they are the monks themselves. I would not bother statting them unless you intend the PCs to shoot at them as the whole B'omarr thing was "ignore everything." They were basically all about not paying attention to their surroundings or receiving sensory input.

Unless you intend for them to try and recruit the PCs, I'd suggest not bothering with them and just using them as set pieces. They don't really do anything.

I might have some more ideas on stats for the Womp Rats in the morning, but right now I need to begin my nightly reboot cycle. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest a Characteristic build of 421211.

Womp Rat (Minion)
Soak: 2, Wounds: 6, M/R Defence: 0/0
Brawn: 2, Agility: 2, Intellect: 1, Cunning: 2, Willpower: 1, Presence: 1

Skills (group only): Brawl, Survival
Talents: None.
Abilities: Swarmer (when a womp rat is Engaged in combat, it gains a bonus die when another womp rat is also Engaged in combat).
Equipment: Bite (Brawl; Damage 4; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Ensnare 2)

I only post this because I have it in my homebrew file, I'll let someone else handle the B'omarr.

Edited by BipolarJuice
6 hours ago, BipolarJuice said:

Womp Rat (Minion)

Abilities: Swarmer (when a womp rat is Engaged in combat, it gains a bonus die when another womp rat is also Engaged in combat).

I only post this because I have it in my homebrew file, I'll let someone else handle the B'omarr.

Hmmm, I pictured them as a bit more of a threat.

I'd suggest:
Womp Rat (Rival)
321211, Soak 3, WT 11.
Skills: Athletics 1, Survival 2, Brawl 2.
Abilities: Swarmer works, even as a Rival.
Equipment: Bite (Brawl; 5; 4; Engaged; Ensnare 2)

9 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Those actually are not droids, they are the monks themselves. I would not bother statting them unless you intend the PCs to shoot at them as the whole B'omarr thing was "ignore everything." They were basically all about not paying attention to their surroundings or receiving sensory input.

Unless you intend for them to try and recruit the PCs, I'd suggest not bothering with them and just using them as set pieces. They don't really do anything.

Yeah I understand that. My plan was not all of these droids have Monk brains in them yet. Basically what I was going for was since this isn't their main temple at Jabba's Palace, this would be more of an off-shoot where the monk elder here was maybe a little more devious and did some experimenting with putting creature brains in the jars (or no brains in the jars). Essentially the monk here would be cast out as a heretic if someone found out what he was doing. Kind of like the Death Watch off-shoot of the Mandalorians, but this is more one person of the Monk order started toying a little bit with transplants and when no one caught him or said anything, his experiments started getting more grandiose.

The PCs final potential boss fight will be the final experiment that killed the monk, his flew too close to the sun moment, when they face a larger monk spider droid with a Krayt Dragon brain inside of it LOL.

8 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Hmmm, I pictured them as a bit more of a threat.

I'd suggest:
Womp Rat (Rival)
321211, Soak 3, WT 11.
Skills: Athletics 1, Survival 2, Brawl 2.
Abilities: Swarmer works, even as a Rival.
Equipment: Bite (Brawl; 5; 4; Engaged; Ensnare 2)

A womp rat is the size of a large dog (think German Shepard) and weighs less given how wiry they are in the depictions I'm familiar with. Given that a rival is supposed to be the rough equivalent to a single player party member I think what you've recommended is too strong for a womp rat. I'd imagine it to be more like they're only a threat if they're in number or your otherwise unable to defend yourself (pregnant woman, old person, child, obese), but pick up a bit of pipe or have a blaster at your side and they become a nuisance.

22 minutes ago, BipolarJuice said:

A womp rat is the size of a large dog (think German Shepard) and weighs less given how wiry they are in the depictions I'm familiar with. Given that a rival is supposed to be the rough equivalent to a single player party member I think what you've recommended is too strong for a womp rat. I'd imagine it to be more like they're only a threat if they're in number or your otherwise unable to defend yourself (pregnant woman, old person, child, obese), but pick up a bit of pipe or have a blaster at your side and they become a nuisance.

Wookieepedia describes them as 2-3 meters long, which is roughly twice as long as a German shepherd. That's why I increased their stats.

I could see them as a very tough minion, having a higher Soak and WT than most minions, but having group skills and being killed by crits.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Wookieepedia describes them as 2-3 meters long, which is roughly twice as long as a German shepherd. That's why I increased their stats.

This. Luke specifically says, "I used to bullseye Womp Rats in my t-16 back home, and they're not much bigger than two meters" in ANH.

Ah fair enough, I'm just used to punting the things in SWTOR where they're around half the size of the typical player character.

Edited by BipolarJuice
11 hours ago, BipolarJuice said:

Ah fair enough, I'm just used to punting the things in SWTOR where they're around half the size of the typical player character.

Or in the old SWG, the first things a player would kill en masse when leaving Mos Eisley.

If I was statting them I'd probably make them a minion a little tougher than a Bark Rat. Nothing challenging though unless in groups.

Its a Womp Rat..

On 12/13/2020 at 1:42 AM, BipolarJuice said:

Womp Rat (Minion)

I actually think this is almost perfect. The Characteristics look good to me. I'd be tempted to up their damage to 5 or 6 though. And WT to 8.

Edited by CloudyLemonade92
3 hours ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

Or in the old SWG, the first things a player would kill en masse when leaving Mos Eisley.

If I was statting them I'd probably make them a minion a little tougher than a Bark Rat. Nothing challenging though unless in groups.

Its a Womp Rat..

SWG was not very faithful at all. Womp rats are physically larger than wolves in canonical sources (a wolf is 1.6 meters long at the largest size, much smaller than than 2 meters). Probably closer to the size of a female cougar or a male leopard. That's not something that is only dangerous in a group!

I wonder if some people saw scurriers from film/TV portrayals of Tatooine and assumed they were womp rats.

scurriers.jpg

Edited by atama2