Hyperspace Ring

By Makikis, in X-Wing

Is there any point to use the hyperspace ring after you've deployed at the beginning of the game? It doesn't seem to provide any benefits after that.

You can use it to block a space between two obstacles. Etas, Vs and Deltas can dock on them. This could be good for the two additional hull, for absorbing bomb or dead mans switch damage. The 0 maneuver and the slower speed could be good for a V equipted with missiles - now it has a one forward. I dont know. I have to try it myself.

You could also use the ring to protect a ship from being ionized, i guess?

edit: It is a good question, have not thought about it myself.

Edited by Mighty

My theory on why it’s not allowed in competitive formats is also the only use I can really see for it: points fortressing. If you’re only trying to run out the clock, some extra ablative hit points and a full activation after the ring is destroyed might be all you need.

And that’s just not interesting gameplay.

7 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

My theory on why it’s not allowed in competitive formats is also the only use I can really see for it: points fortressing. If you’re only trying to run out the clock, some extra ablative hit points and a full activation after the ring is destroyed might be all you need.

And that’s just not interesting gameplay.

Actually, that sounds really interesting to me.

I also like that the HSR allows white full-stops with optional 90- or 180-degree rotation. Seems potentially useful, if they were allowed in standard play.

Overall, though, they’re probably best left out of competitive standard play.

2 hours ago, Makikis said:

Is there any point to use the hyperspace ring after you've deployed at the beginning of the game? It doesn't seem to provide any benefits after that.

Have you seen how cool they look? That seems like the prime benefit.

31 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

Infinite white stop does seem like it could be problematic. The ablative hit points might be problem, but with only 3 health on 1 agility, it likely that it could be destroyed easily putting the emergency deployment crit into whatever ship is docked. Those ships max out at 4 health without the 7b config at which point you have sunk a LOT of points into a 7b Jedi for them to not participate.

If they actually had a cost, it shouldn't be a problem. 5 points is just way too cheap for standard. Maybe even for Epic. I want it in standard myself, but that's just a strictly better SPC/hull/shield/shield/config combo card for 5 points. That's insane

If it were to cost say 7 in epic, and like 15 in standard. Maybe that could be okay. But I don't know. I want to still be able to field a wing of them in Epic fairly, but if I could sneak one into a standard or (appropriately) a Hyperspace list, that'd be gravy.

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

If they actually had a cost, it shouldn't be a problem. 5 points is just way too cheap for standard. Maybe even for Epic. I want it in standard myself, but that's just a strictly better SPC/hull/shield/shield/config combo card for 5 points. That's insane

If it were to cost say 7 in epic, and like 15 in standard. Maybe that could be okay. But I don't know. I want to still be able to field a wing of them in Epic fairly, but if I could sneak one into a standard or (appropriately) a Hyperspace list, that'd be gravy.

It’s not just a strictly better Hull and shield upgrade, though: when docked, you cannot go fast and cannot shoot (and I’d have to do some research on if it even has any actions), docking requires you to bump and lose your action for a turn, and its health is only behind one green die.

Given how little it would be used for its setup effect (I haven’t really heard of Resistance Han Solo or Crew Boba Fett getting any use), I wouldn’t say it’s anywhere near worth 15 points. All that would do is make you even more reliant on not playing the game with your Anakin.

@Matanui3 the last thing I'm concerned about is it actually redocking. Brooks said in one of the streams that the playtester pool was using them as ablative body armor while they make an approach. And that sounds perfectly great. Saving some body in the opening engagement sounds fine to me.

There also was a time when Hyperspace Tracking dumps was a thing for FO. That actually warranted a decent nerf bat.

14 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

@Matanui3 the last thing I'm concerned about is it actually redocking. Brooks said in one of the streams that the playtester pool was using them as ablative body armor while they make an approach.

More like while your enemy makes an approach - you're practically stationary!

2 hours ago, mazz0 said:

More like while your enemy makes an approach - you're practically stationary!

Yeah, I guess it could be useful for blocking... But I don't think the Delta or the Eta really want to do that... maybe the Nimbus V-Wing?