Jensaarai

By FelixFenix, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I will like to play one, probably from a different species from the traditional Jensaarai species.

Have you played a Jensaarai?

I have thought of starting as a padawan to have a good foundation and then buy the armorer spec. Then maybe Niman for show good Force attacks or maybe Juyo to simulate their light/dark use of the Force.

Any building tips will be really appreciated.

I have never played one, but I think I would start as a Colossus in order to get the Deadly Reputation signature ability later in the character's progression. Armorer does seem like a good idea too. Likely stick with Shii-Cho Knight and Juyo Berserker for fighting styles.

I would think about Hired Gun: Marauder too. It gets nice melee options and Enduring. Starting as Marauder could also be interesting since it opens up the Unmatched Protection signature ability. The only downside of Marauder is it won't help Lightsaber attacks at all (except for the Lethal Blows talent), but since Jensaarai focus on armor more than lightsabers, perhaps it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice for the starting career and specialization to be non-Force, non-Lightsaber oriented.

So between the two ways I would start, they would probably progress like this:

Marauder/Force-Sensitive Emergent/Armorer/Shii-Cho Knight/Juyo Berserker

or

Colossus/Armorer/Shii-Cho Knight/Juyo Berserker

Edited by SuperWookie
Added Force-Sensitive Emergent after feedback.
31 minutes ago, SuperWookie said:

Marauder/Armorer/Shii-Cho Knight/Juyo Berserker

IIRC, if a character with a non-FaD/Jedi career wants to get into a FaD/Jedi spec, then they also need one of the universal Force-Sensitive specs first, to get the required FR 1 (which is not the same as the FR +1 talent).

I recently made a similar post in another thread ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

10 minutes ago, Bellona said:

IIRC, if a character with a non-FaD/Jedi career wants to get into a FaD/Jedi spec, then they also need one of the universal Force-Sensitive specs first, to get the required FR 1 (which is not the same as the FR +1 talent).

I recently made a similar post in another thread ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

This is true.

I really like the idea of adding the colossus, and I will like to keep Pawan as starter as it gets a some useful talents (including well rounded) plus some reflect, parry an early FR, gets dedication too and starts with lightsaber.

What about

Padawan/Armorer/Soresu/Colossus

Padawan/Armorer/Juyo/Colossus

or

Padawan/Armorer/Shii-Cho/Colossus?

2 hours ago, Bellona said:

They would? That must be another rule I haven't seen yet. In the realm of future planning and wish-fulfillment builds, I don't think the extra 20 XP would matter that much in the long run. It kind of feels wrong to use any of those templates on a character from a dedicated Force tradition though.

EDIT: Ah, I see they stapled it directly to the career (I am reading Consular).

Edited by SuperWookie
1 hour ago, FelixFenix said:

I really like the idea of adding the colossus, and I will like to keep Pawan as starter as it gets a some useful talents (including well rounded) plus some reflect, parry an early FR, gets dedication too and starts with lightsaber.

What species are you going to be? Humans would be able to get Lightsaber (rank 1) as a bonus and let you take Armorer first if you wanted to. Then you would pick up the skill as career later on from a different spec.

Edited by SuperWookie

Pantoran, their home planet is close by the Jensaarai home planet. But no worries Armorer have lightsaber as additional career skill.

I like the Jedi Padawan also because it gives you access to the Jedi Signature Ability Tree: Peerless Interception, which allows a character to add their FR to their parry and reflect, among other things.

6 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Pantoran, their home planet is close by the Jensaarai home planet. But no worries Armorer have lightsaber as additional career skill.

I like the Jedi Padawan also because it gives you access to the Jedi Signature Ability Tree: Peerless Interception, which allows a character to add their FR to their parry and reflect, among other things.

Oh, that's weird. I guess it is because they get the Saber Throw and Falling Avalanche. I have only glanced at the class before and stopped reading the talents halfway down, it seems. 😆

So your Jensaarai would focus more on the lightsaber than his/her counterparts?

Just some ranks on parry and reflect in case my GM damage/steals/destroys my armor hehehe

1 hour ago, FelixFenix said:

Just some ranks on parry and reflect in case my GM damage/steals/destroys my armor hehehe

Ah, I understand. Metagaming based on your group.

I've been home-brewing some stuff. It is not play-tested mind!

This is the starting point for some kind of Jensaarai career idea. The apprentice requires Force Rating of 1, and defender requires a minimum Force Rating of 2, which OggDude's print-spec-tree function doesn't add.

Also, I've been considering changing Ballistakinesis to provide upgrades instead of boost dice.

My current campaign doesn't include Jensaarai, so time for play-testing hasn't been found. Yet. :ph34r:

Edited by Jegergryte

This looks really great Jegergryte. Thanks for sharing!

Np. It's a work in-progress. If you get a chance to test these, please let me know how they worked out.

Of course. 👍

17 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

I've been home-brewing some stuff. It is not play-tested mind!

This is the starting point for some kind of Jensaarai career idea. The apprentice requires Force Rating of 1, and defender requires a minimum Force Rating of 2, which OggDude's print-spec-tree function doesn't add.

Also, I've been considering changing Ballistakinesis to provide upgrades instead of boost dice.

My current campaign doesn't include Jensaarai, so time for play-testing hasn't been found. Yet. :ph34r:

I might let my players test this one out I'll let you know how it goes. Just a question.

When you say 'universal', do you mean that any spec can use it?

47 minutes ago, oh_grapes said:

I might let my players test this one out I'll let you know how it goes. Just a question.

Universal Specialization means that it is not linked to a career, and so any character can pick it up for the same cost as an in-career spec.

For example, it's your third spec: It costs 3*10=30 rather than 3*10+10=40.

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Universal Specialization means that it is not linked to a career, and so any character can pick it up for the same cost as an in-career spec.

For example, it's your third spec: It costs 3*10=30 rather than 3*10+10=40.

So they have to buy it?

Just now, oh_grapes said:

So they have to buy it?

Yes, you can't pick up Universal Specializations at CharGen unless your GM grants it for free in addition to the standard Career/Spec combo or you save enough XP to purchase it.

So you could go Guardian: Warden and then purchase a universal spec as your second spec.

8 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yes, you can't pick up Universal Specializations at CharGen unless your GM grants it for free in addition to the standard Career/Spec combo or you save enough XP to purchase it.

So you could go Guardian: Warden and then purchase a universal spec as your second spec.

Thanks man. Your contribution to the Galactic Empire will not go forgotten!

Just now, oh_grapes said:

Thanks man. Your contribution to the Galactic Empire will not go forgotten!

Oops... Didn't mean to do that ! :D

1 hour ago, oh_grapes said:

Yeah. As P-47 made clear.

I am fiddling with a custom career (meaning you could start with it, as long as GM approves), but that'd need some more work that I've yet to do - shuffling some skills around, and having another look (or five) over the spec trees.

1 minute ago, Jegergryte said:

Yeah. As P-47 made clear.

I am fiddling with a custom career (meaning you could start with it, as long as GM approves), but that'd need some more work that I've yet to do - shuffling some skills around, and having another look (or five) over the spec trees.

Good to know. I think I'll introduce it into the adventure later on.

If you want RAW I say mix armorer a d niman disciple in either order.

Otherwise there's a cannon/legends force tradition homebrew universal spec thread where jensarri got covered

The discussion of jensarri started with this post

Edit: I see @Jegergryte already posted in this thread.

Edited by EliasWindrider
On 12/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, Bellona said:

You can still take the spec but can't use any of the force talents (and force rating is a force talent, so it doesn't boost your force rating unless you already had a force rating)