Does any of the books mention Beskar?

By OddballE8, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Just wondering.

It's late, I'm tired and I can't be arsed to look through all the books right now :)

So, I'm asking the collective here instead...

(I know Mandalorian armour is in two of the books... don't remember if beskar is)

Just going off memory here - I think it's mentioned in the descriptions fluff but the mechanical implementation is the Cortosis quality.

Rise of the Separatists and Fall of the Republic deal with Clone Wars era, and have several Mandalorian items, armor and weapons.

10 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

Rise of the Separatists and Fall of the Republic deal with Clone Wars era, and have several Mandalorian items, armor and weapons.

To add to that, they are all Beskar weapons and they use the Cortosis quality.

Actually taking a look at the books I don’t see Beskar mentioned in the Mandalorian Armor entries in Rise of the Separatists or No Disintegrations. The armor doesn’t come with the Cortosis quality. Cortosis Weave is mentioned in a sidebar in No Disintegrations about possibly useful modifications to Mandalorian armor. The Cortosis quality entry (Edge core) mentions it comes from the the Outer Rim and was used against the Jedi Knights in the Clone Wars and some is pure enough to short out a lightsaber. Does not mention Beskar or Mandalorians.
It’s up to us to put it all together.

Edited by Jedi Ronin

Although the NPC entry for a Mandalorian clan leader in Friends Like These (Vera Beroya) has an armor entry has heavy Beskar’gam armor with Cortosis (+2 Soak, + 2 Defense)

I wouldn't think Beskar is as good as Cortosis. I haven't seen Beskar turn off a lightsaber blade after being struck (yet). Likely only half as good, and retains the ability to ignore Breach and Pierce.

I haven’t seen a mechanical effect letting Cortosis shut off a lightsaber. The fluff often goes into lore not reflected in mechanics. I’d say such a thing is the purview of narrative descriptions when spending Despair to deactivate a lightsaber.

12 minutes ago, Jedi Ronin said:

I haven’t seen a mechanical effect letting Cortosis shut off a lightsaber. The fluff often goes into lore not reflected in mechanics. I’d say such a thing is the purview of narrative descriptions when spending Despair to deactivate a lightsaber.

There are a couple weapons with the Cortosis quality that have an option for deactivating an opponent's lightsaber, but they are some sort of extra-fluffy Cortosis, not just your run-of-the-mill attachment.

13 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

There are a couple weapons with the Cortosis quality that have an option for deactivating an opponent's lightsaber, but they are some sort of extra-fluffy Cortosis, not just your run-of-the-mill attachment.

Interesting. Missed those. Do you recall which ones (and where they are)?

2 minutes ago, Jedi Ronin said:

Interesting. Missed those. Do you recall which ones (and where they are)?

The FaD CRB. I don't have the book at my fingertips so I can't say for sure, but I'd guess Refined Cortosis Gauntlet and Refined Cortosis Staff, if memory serves.

Hmm...

So... Beskar and Cortosis basically have the same in-game mechanics.

Ie. just provides better stats.

Makes sense.

Personally, I would simply make it so that Beskar gives the wearer immunity to Breach and +1 Soak. IMHO that would effectively simulate its ability to block lightsabers and the increased durability against blasters. And it also keeps Cortosis a bit unique by not adding the pierce immunity, like Cortosis does.

Edited by OddballE8

Crushgaunts in Collapse mentions beskar in the fluff. The beskad sort of mentions it ... at least "beska" :ph34r: both of these have the cortosis quality.

2 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Personally, I would simply make it so that Beskar gives the wearer immunity to Breach and +1 Soak. IMHO that would effectively simulate its ability to block lightsabers and the increased durability against blasters. And it also keeps Cortosis a bit unique by not adding the pierce immunity, like Cortosis does.

That's not a bad idea. I'm unsure about the soak improvement, but to make beskar ignore Breach, but not Pierce, seems weird, but I like it.

5 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

Crushgaunts in Collapse mentions beskar in the fluff. The beskad sort of mentions it ... at least "beska" :ph34r: both of these have the cortosis quality.

"Bes" is the Beskar prefix. "Beskad" means Beskar Saber.

8 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

That's not a bad idea. I'm unsure about the soak improvement, but to make beskar ignore Breach, but not Pierce, seems weird, but I like it.

Well, I figured that since Beskar is supposedly better than regular "armour", it should be... better... hence more soak.
BUT, since I also think Beskar and Cortosis should be separate, I kinda like the balance of removing Pierce but increasing the Soak, while still keeping the Breach ignore (since Breach is usually mostly found in Lightsabers and some heavy ordnance) to simulate its extra effectiveness against Lightsabers.

In essence, Cortosis dissipates energy, while Beskar is just very durable.

Breach is mostly found on Lightsabers and explosive ordnance like missiles and grenades.
Pierce is mostly found on vibroweapons and other melee weapons.

In my opinion, this makes the two materials different in a satisfying way.

Of course, that's just my opinion ;)

I use the del-ray(?) official 'in universe' books... Book of Sith, The Jedi Code and The Bounty Hunters Code... I think beskar is mentioned in there but it's been a while since I read it.. not gaming splat but still good inspiration.

41 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

Nah, well, it is, but I follow your reasoning and tend to agree. Pierce is a lot more common than Breach, that one extra soak is going to help somewhat in those instances too, but it's not before you meet a UCT that you're going to enjoy the benefit properly.

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

"Bes" is the Beskar prefix. "Beskad" means Beskar Saber.

@Jegergryte , what makes this so funny?

2 hours ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I use the del-ray(?) official 'in universe' books... Book of Sith, The Jedi Code and The Bounty Hunters Code... I think beskar is mentioned in there but it's been a while since I read it.. not gaming splat but still good inspiration.

Yeah, I have all of them. Even the Rebel and Imperial ones...

2 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

In essence, Cortosis dissipates energy, while Beskar is just very durable.

Breach is mostly found on Lightsabers and explosive ordnance like missiles and grenades.
Pierce is mostly found on vibroweapons and other melee weapons.

We have an example in canon of a rod of Beskar being the only thing to come out intact after the vehicle it was inside was totally destroyed, so the ability to resist explosions seems very faithful. And we’ve also seen Beskar armor deflect lightsaber strikes. I agree that an immunity to Breach mostly covers its special properties very well.

Edited by atama2
Typos
1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@Jegergryte , what makes this so funny?

Just that you felt the need to explain. Nothing more. :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, atama2 said:

We have an example in canon of a rod of Beskar being the only thing to come out intact after the vehicle it was inside was totally destroyed, so the ability to resist explosions seems very faithful. And we’ve also seen Beskar armor deflect lightsaber strikes. I agree that an immunity to Breach mostly covers its special properties very well.

In my opinion, people are putting way too much focus on that thing coming out intact, though.

If he had gone looking through that wreckage, he'd find other things that were intact.
That's how explosions work. Some **** gets destroyed but other things just make it unscathed.

Just as an example someone used, Hitler had a bomb placed literally by his feet, and he came out alive. So... it's all about luck, basically.

(I mean, it probably didn't hurt that it was made out of Beskar either, but it's in no way proof that it's invulnerable)

15 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Hmm...

So... Beskar and Cortosis basically have the same in-game mechanics.

Ie. just provides better stats.

Makes sense.

What about phrik, the other Star Wars super metal? I would never accept that Beskar doesn’t stop pierce if it stops breach as a player, as breach is a quality associated with anti-armor vehicle scale weapons and pierce is the quality associated with anti-armor personal scale weapons. So why would Beskar stop the more powerful of the two weapon qualities and not the lesser quality of armor piercing? Also that sniper rifle knocked Mando on his *** in season one but didn't penetrate leaving only a slight discoloring, where regular blaster fire just bounces off most times.

Edited by Eoen

I asked the Devs about this a while back, and they confirmed that the Cortosis quality covers all lightsaber resistant materials.

7 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I asked the Devs about this a while back, and they confirmed that the Cortosis quality covers all lightsaber resistant materials.

They are talking about house rules I believe. But RAW you are right. I would say that the rules coving the quality cortosis where developed in 2013 and a lot has changed in canon since then, like beskar being made canon.

Edited by Eoen