"add XX to dice result" but no dice roll

By Nexion, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hi guys!

I just encountered a scenario with my Norra Wexley having her defense dice reduced by 1. She only has 1 so that means she rolls 0 defense dice.

Then I apply her ability: "While you defend, if there is an enemy ship ar range 0-1, add 1 *evade* result to your dice results"

but since she rolls no dice, there is no dice result so the ability is cancelled.

Is this correctly understood or does she get at least 1 defensive die at all times?

The pool of dice results exists even if you roll 0 dice, so in this scenario Norra would roll 0 dice and then add 1 evade result with her ability.

20 minutes ago, Maui. said:

The pool of dice results exists even if you roll 0 dice, so in this scenario Norra would roll 0 dice and then add 1 evade result with her ability.

Thank you! also for the explanation - so nice to get when you are new :)

5 hours ago, Maui. said:

While i agree, i wish they would clarify it more, as it makes this entry in "Dice Modification" seem more restrictive.

Add : To add a die result, place an unused die displaying the result next to the rolled dice

We both know that there can be 'zero rolled dice', but that isn't really super clear anywhere that i can find. I think we've seen this asked before, but it would be nice to just get a definition of 'Dice Pool'.

There's a difference between rolling zero dice (VCX-100, VT-49 Decimator, etc) and not rolling dice (Homing Missile). Interestingly, while it is possible to roll zero dice, it's not possible to reroll zero dice (which would otherwise become relevant for ships like Sunny Bounder).