Another Nub's Lists

By TheHumanHydra, in Army Building

Hey, partly out of curiosity, partly because I'd like to try a game of Legion and see if I like it once the pandemic's over, I thought I'd present a list or two for critique if anyone is interested. Sort of torn between Empire and Separatists, but let's go with the latter for this post. I like Droidekas. Here's a skirmish and a standard list:

Skirmish 500/500, 5 activations

General Grievous (170 + 0 = 170)

Maul (160 + 18 = 178)

--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Tenacity (4), Offensive Push (4)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 0 = 36)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 0 = 36)

Droidekas (80 + 0 = 80)

Standard 796/800, 9 activations

General Grievous (170 + 16 = 186)
--Tenacity (4), DT-57 Annihilator (12)

Maul (160 + 18 = 178)
--Saber Throw (5), Force Reflexes (5), Tenacity (4), Offensive Push (4)

B1 Battle Droids (36 + 18 = 54)
--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

--E-5C B1 Trooper (18)

B2 Super Battle Droids (45 + 30 = 75)
--B2-HA Trooper (30)

DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids (35 + 0 = 35)

Droidekas (80 + 0 = 80)

Droidekas (80 + 0 = 80)

Commands:

Trained in Your Jedi Arts (1), Duel of the Fates (1), Supreme Commander (2), The Phantom Menace (2), Crush Them! (3), At Last (3), Standing Orders (4)

I’d look to include at least 1 HQ uplink on your droid squad as a minimum for order control

and aggressive tactics on GG is a more or less must. ganding surges out to the droid units on his orders really goes a long way

sadly in the skirmish battle id drop maul too, or the DD’s in favour of more B1’s

14 hours ago, Haslamm1 said:

I’d look to include at least 1 HQ uplink on your droid squad as a minimum for order control

and aggressive tactics on GG is a more or less must. ganding surges out to the droid units on his orders really goes a long way

sadly in the skirmish battle id drop maul too, or the DD’s in favour of more B1’s

Thanks for all this advice, Haslamm; appreciate it!

9 hours ago, TheHumanHydra said:

Thanks for all this advice, Haslamm; appreciate it!

Personally, that Maul Skirmish list looks terrifying in the rights hands/terrain. if the table is too open though it would be pretty difficult. Give it a try, whats the worst that could happen, you lose, no big deal, it will probably be a short game either way and also probably fun too.

as much as you like droideka's, for your skirmish list I would strongly recommend swapping our the Driodeka for STAPS and spending the spare points changing force reflexes for force push on Maul.

Force Push on Maul is amazing, it will allow you to attack units that are beyond range 2, doing move, move force push then attack he has the widest range to engage in melee, especially when you have 1 less round in Skirmish mode getting into combat on turn 2 is preferable.

Edited by Mace Windu

Thanks, 5particus and Mace Windu (I knew he wasn't dead). That makes a lot of sense wrt Force Push.

I agree with what has been said about HQs. Be sure when you use them that the unit that has the HQ, the first action is always to untap the HQ. That way you can confidently play any card in you command deck and not be hindered by not having perfect activation control. Especially with Maul I have found that you really really want perfect activation control. I have a Maul/Dooku team that has been pretty devastating to my opponents.

787 pts

Count Dooku (Force Barrier, Force Reflexes, Saber Throw, Aggressive Tactics)
Maul (Force Push, Force Reflexes, Offensive Push, Tenacity)
B1 Battle Droids (HQ Uplink)
B1 Battle Droids
B1 Battle Droids (Radiation Cannon B1 Trooper, B1 Battle Droid)
DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids

Commands:
Duel of the Fates (1), Fear, Surprise, Intimidation (1), Double the Fall (2), The Phantom Menace (2), At Last (3), You Disappoint Me (3), Standing Orders (4)

Deployments: Advanced Positions, Danger Close, Hemmed In, Major Offensive
Objectives: Recover the Supplies, Payload, Intercept the Transmissions, Hostage Exchange
Conditions: Limited Visibility, Supply Drop, War Weary, Hostile Environment

I love that you can get complete activation control with either Dooku or Maul cards. It is very important especially the round that you want to be able to use force barrier 2 times (usually 1st or second round) I think the bid is important for this team too since it has such a close ranged focus.

1 hour ago, weebaer said:

I agree with what has been said about HQs. Be sure when you use them that the unit that has the HQ, the first action is always to untap the HQ. That way you can confidently play any card in you command deck and not be hindered by not having perfect activation control. Especially with Maul I have found that you really really want perfect activation control. I have a Maul/Dooku team that has been pretty devastating to my opponents.

787 pts

B1 Battle Droids
DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids

Commands:
Duel of the Fates (1), Fear, Surprise, Intimidation (1), Double the Fall (2), The Phantom Menace (2), At Last (3), You Disappoint Me (3), Standing Orders (4)

Objectives: Recover the Supplies, Payload, Intercept the Transmissions, Hostage Exchange

I love that you can get complete activation control with either Dooku or Maul cards. It is very important especially the round that you want to be able to use force barrier 2 times (usually 1st or second round) I think the bid is important for this team too since it has such a close ranged focus.

just want to understand why you would run reflexes over sabre throw on Maul? 4 red dice with Sabre throw is pretty hard to pass up.

I honestly feel he should almost always be kitted out with Force Push, Sabre Throw, OP & Tenacity, but I guess that's just my preference.

7 hours ago, weebaer said:

787 pts

B1 Battle Droids
DRK-1 Sith Probe Droids

Commands:

Here comes the nitpick parade ;)

TBF overall that looks competitive, I personally love radiation troopers (maybe not as much as you though). I'd consider dropping a couple of them for some range 3+ weapons in order to give yourself a little more long range threat. Also have to agree with Mace Windu, sabre throw is definitely worth considering on maul with those 4 red dice. Also I'd consider dropping sabre throw on Dooku. He already has a beefy ranged attack with his lightening, so i'd consider trading in force choke or push instead.

Having said that if you enjoy his saber throw then you keep using it. Its about what you enjoy playing with most of all :)

2 hours ago, Haslamm1 said:

Here comes the nitpick parade ;)

TBF overall that looks competitive, I personally love radiation troopers (maybe not as much as you though). I'd consider dropping a couple of them for some range 3+ weapons in order to give yourself a little more long range threat. Also have to agree with Mace Windu, sabre throw is definitely worth considering on maul with those 4 red dice. Also I'd consider dropping sabre throw on Dooku. He already has a beefy ranged attack with his lightening, so i'd consider trading in force choke or push instead.

Having said that if you enjoy his saber throw then you keep using it. Its about what you enjoy playing with most of all :)

As a light side player only (rebels and GAR) i hate choke, it is such a pain to deal with, you can kill off my heavy minis without having to attack the squad, just pick the guy and say he is dead. even with the 2 wounds minis it is annoying cos it means that you can start triggering Hunter on your other squads. I finally have a unit that can take it, Anakin, and it doesnt look like it is going to be particularly good on him :(

Edited by 5particus
spelling

I think you all have great points. I love that legion is so much about player preference. I found that the way I like to use maul he is better with reflexes. I have played him enough to realize that have a dodge every round keeps him alive much longer than when I have taken saber throw. Sure I can sit behind line of sight blocking terrain, pop out and throw, then pop back, but I have found he doesn't dish out as much damage as I need him to with the rest of my team when played like that. I need him to hit hard and fast on some key opponent units. Once he has done his job if he is still alive then excellent, if he is dead, then the poisons are all in positions to clean up.

I also have found that saber throw on Dooku is probably my favorite force upgrade for him. It auto kills almost any non-armored unit. It almost 1 shots Sabine on AVERAGE. I have used him a lot without it and I just keep going back to it.

11 hours ago, weebaer said:

I also have found that saber throw on Dooku is probably my favorite force upgrade for him. It auto kills almost any non-armored unit. It almost 1 shots Sabine on AVERAGE. I have used him a lot without it and I just keep going back to it.

You mean with his command card that gives him Arsenal 2 and Relentless? You're talking about it like you're using it just on it's own and not just on that turn. Even with the card, you only have about a 8% chance to one-shot Sabine, which isn't insignificant but is far from average. Am I misunderstanding what you are talking about?

Edited by arnoldrew
3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

You mean with his command card that gives him Arsenal 2 and Relentless? You're talking about it like you're using it just on it's own and not just on that turn. Even with the card, you only have about a 8% chance to one-shot Sabine, which isn't insignificant but is far from average. Am I misunderstanding what you are talking about?

I mean solely for his 1 pip. I obviously wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. I meant to say he 1 shots almost every other non saber wielding trooper unit in the game except those with impervious, but even then it's still devastating. I have run Dooku a crap ton of times without saber throw, I just prefer him with it. When you want to engage your opponent with Dooku they always know when it is coming and when his 1 pip in coming to ensure you can safely and effectively. With Saber throw his threat range (with his one pip) is range 4 (move, move, saberthrow and lighting) which makes it very easy to catch an opponent's key unit that is out of position and forcing your opponent to play without said key unit, or, make them adjust their game plan because that unit is very close to dying. I am not ignorant enough to say this is always better and everyone should do it. I have simply played with certain units so many times that I have learned how I prefer to play them. Its totally fine if you use them differently than me. That's what I love about legion!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I almost always use Dooku for his 1 pip after the probe droids, those 3 extra re-rolls on dookus' 5 black 3 red attack with pierce 3 is just incredible.

Edited by weebaer
42 minutes ago, weebaer said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I almost always use Dooku for his 1 pip after the probe droids, those 3 extra re-rolls on dookus' 5 black 3 red attack with pierce 3 is just incredible.

Dooku AND Maul? Oofah doofah.

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Dooku AND Maul? Oofah doofah.

Yeah...that was in my original response to the OP.