Dengar with Zam?

By TheHumanHydra, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Hey. Long time since I've posted in here. Just wondering if Zam crew would make sense on Dengar, for example in a list like this:

JumpMaster 5000 - •Dengar - 83
•Dengar - Vengeful Corellian (53)
Marksmanship (1)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Contraband Cybernetics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Autoblasters (3)
•Greedo (1)
•Zam Wesell (4)

StarViper-class Attack Platform - •Guri - 102
•Guri - Prince Xizor’s Bodyguard (64)
Predator (2)
Advanced Sensors (10)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (5)
Afterburners (6)
Shield Upgrade (8)
Virago (7)

Total: 185

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

It seems you could use You Should Thank Me to amp up Dengar's snap-back with a target lock (maybe enabling ProTorps?) and create a Catch-22 where he gets a second attack whether they target him or not (if they're in the front arc). Not sure if I may have read this from someone else. Other comments on the list are also welcome; it doesn't have to be just two ships, though I personally don't have anything Scum but StarVipers, the original Firespray, and a Khiraxz.

Wow a 100 pts Guri....****.

Also that Dengar its all about psi games. I mean your opponent will have to choose between not attacking him or risk getting a protorp retaliation or a second protorp if Dengar shot his already.

I think it's worth going Expert Handling over Marksmanship. That's a full Init game you've got there and you need to keep Dengar ticking as long as possible, so extra reactive capability is good. IF you get a situation where Dengar can save/cause some serious damage with a roll, you don't want to be locked into flying away on a blue and potentially making Guri a sitter.

Zam looks great on Dengar, but I really need to test that card. Quite possible that the locks you get fed aren't the ones you want and the 1 or 2 double taps you get just bounce. Or overlap with Dengars own. Best case, 4pt is a bargain, but there are ways to spend 4pt that give dependable return.

I'd suggest working in R5-TK on another ship to get a shot of on Zam first couple of rounds so your fully charged by the time you engage the enemy, then you just use You Should Thank Me and no matter what you get 2 shots, both torpedoes if you save your lock:

Dengar (53)

Proton Torpedoes (12)

Zam Wesell (4)

Han Solo (Scum) (10)

Guri (64)

Outmaneuver (6)

Advanced Sensors (10)

Virago (7)

Crymorah Goon (30)

R5-TK (0)

Total: 196

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! @Cuz05 , Expert Handling sounds good to me. @Cpdio , ha ha, the fully armed and operational Guri wasn't my idea; I was inspired by another post I recently read. @Watcher42 , a use for R5-TK!! Thanks for that, neat idea.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, Watcher42 said:

I'd suggest working in R5-TK on another ship to get a shot of on Zam first couple of rounds so your fully charged by the time you engage the enemy, then you just use You Should Thank Me and no matter what you get 2 shots, both torpedoes if you save your lock:

If you slim up Guri a bit more (dropping Virago), you can comfortably slap Munitions Failsafe and either Ion or Adv Proton Torpedoes on the Y-Wing to ensure you don't accidentally damage Dengar while charging up Zam. I'm planning on doing that myself with a BosskZam + R5-TK Goon build since the odds of 1 Agility avoiding damage even from an unmodded 2-dice primary is concerning for me.

Edited by Enigami

I like the idea of charging Zam with R5-TK a lot, but I think that mech caddy absolutely has to bring it's own thing to the party. There aren't too many good options, but the Y Wing is at least cheap and unlikely to hurt very much, particularly with Failsafe. Some Ion Torps and an Ion Turret may make it almost worth bringing in its own right....

I'm wondering if charging Zam can dovetail with R5 Cluster Torani....

Edited by Cuz05