What "common" zombie apocalypse advice would actually get you killed in reality?

By Sylusr, in Zombie Apocalypse

Hello everyone,,

Maybe I worded it kinda stupidly, but from either books, movies, blogs, podcasts, even friends or family, have you heard any Zombie Apocalypse plans that sound reasonable at first, but would actually turn out to be awful in reality? One that my friends like to repeat is that they would want to go to Costco in case of a zombie outbreak, which at first glance, there's an absurd amount of supplies of all kinds, the entrances and exits are sturdy, and we're already decently familiar with it. That being said, it's a GIGANTIC space, so there's no way a handful of people can reasonably defend it, it's the most popular https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/ place in the area for buying supplies or groceries of any kind in bulk, so pretty much everyone and their mother will be heading there, and many of the crates and boxes are stacked using special equipment, which will make a good amount of it difficult to get to. Not to mention that managers and supervisors probably have keys to the building, it would probably be full of people when the outbreak started (high infected risk and also panic risk with the crowd), and it's in the center of town.

Edited by Sylusr

" Stay quiet! "

I mean, why? When they have been rotting for sufficiently long a time, most zombies wouldn't have any intact eardrums, and should be deaf as a door knob.

" Stay out of sight! "

Right. When their eyeballs have turned into goo and their eye sockets are empty, how would they 'see' you anyways?

" Drape yourself with these zombie innards, they will think you are one of their own by the smell. "

Such a cute idea. Besides draping yourself in rotting biomass that might infect you with all manner of nasty stuff, you may just throw up, and show yourself to be alive. Besides, some zombies have no nose to speak of, and if they would have functional olifactory organs, wouldn't they first smell their own rot just as bad first?

All of the above does actually asume there is a brain that can still register sensory input. As such, we don't really know how a zombie would taste your flesh and brains, or how it would even feel whether it has a deathgrip on your arms or not. I believe it is safe to say that zombies wouldn't rely on traditional sensory input through the five physical senses (at least by a biological/scientific measure anyways), so any advice that has to do with subterfuge would likely seem moot.

And that's as far as the zombies themselves.

Other 'solid' advice is to hole up in a mall or something. A place with several food suppliers having mass-storage freezers, maybe a sporting good store (potentially with weapons, if even a steady supply of baseball bats). A nice furniture place to seek a comfortable bed. And then you would have to contend with other survivors... And we all know those can be worse than the zombies. Besides that, there are plenty of zombocalypse movies that show even the best defended mall can be broken into, and someone always leaves a door open...