New Player: Any suggestions tips welcome

By Cgriffith, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

So I’ve decided to buy in; with the game being Solo and seems easy enough to figure out and the Boss/scenarios. I do know it can also be co-op and hope eventually when Store play returns that occurs. With that being said what tips, suggestions, buying tips do you have to share. Thanks in advance. (I have watched a lot of videos on gameplay, decks/packs scenarios)

I figured I’d start with this.

• core set
  • Scenarios (Green Goblin)
  • Red Skull Expansion

Then the following Heroes Packs

• Captain America & Black Widow
  • Quicksilver on Release.

I heard Thor and Hulk are no good? Any other suggestions, help, etc.

Thor and Hulk are ultra-challenging and even more challenging if you play solo-stock that doesnt make them no good .

Thor can definitely shine if you add some cards from the Ant-Man pack namely Moment of Triumph and Team Building Exercises.

As for my recommended starting points ...

• Core Set and Red Skull are great gets to keep you entertained.
  • Grab any two heroes that appeal to you.
  • Ms Marvel is tremendously fun to play and very strong when you mate her up with the Justice Aspect.
  • Black Widow and Dr. Strange can be fun and super strong but I wouldnt enjoy them as much without having played the game a lot with the other characters first .
  • Ant-Man in my opinion is super fun .

And also dont underestimate the Green Goblin scenario pack. The first is less challenging once you unlock the secret but still a lot of fun giving you a chance to feel your heroes potential. The other one is possibly the hardest scenario in the game, and even more so if you play solo.

Edited by IceHot42
12 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Core Set and Red Skull are great gets to keep you entertained.

Bought them.

12 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Grab any two heroes that appeal to you.

I grabbed Captain America & Black Widow

13 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

And also dont underestimate the Green Goblin scenario pack. The first is less challenging once you unlock the secret but still a lot of fun giving you a chance to feel your heroes potential. The other one is possibly the hardest scenario in the game, and even more so if you play solo.

So Green Goblin seems fun, good. I decided to get it because of Spider-Man. I will definitely take that into consideration. I don’t need to always win. Most of my play for awhile will be Solo.

I said it before and I'll say it again - Hulk is my 2nd fave, so I must be playing him wrong lol.

The biggest suggestion I have is that you need to remember that every hero plays differently. Some may seem similar on first look, but they all have something that is their own, so you can't play one hero one way and expect that to work with everybody.

Cap is great all-around, and probably one of the easiest of the expansion heroes to figure out.

Thor kind of looks like Cap, kit-wise, but he requires a lot more set-up to really shine (and he can really shine).

Black Widow needs a lot of space, because you want all the preparations ready to discard.

I also really like Hulk. He's just fun and smashy. You do need to get resource generators out early to mitigate his hand size, but he can really throw down damage. That tends to work better in co-op, but I've found that if you can just steamroll the villain in solo, his inability to thwart is not a big deal.

4 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

Cap is great all-around, and probably one of the easiest of the expansion heroes to figure out.

I’ve heard he may be the most OP out of the plastic

Black Widow needs a lot of space, because you want all the preparations ready to discard.

Thor kind of looks like Cap, kit-wise, but he requires a lot more set-up to really shine (and he can really shine

Black Widow seems like a Iron Man type

2 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

Black Widow seems like a Iron Man type

Not really, since her preparations are meant to be temporary and Iron Man's suit is not something you want to be discarding from play if you can help it. Also, Widow is more flexible with when she can jump into hero, where Iron Man absolutely must have most of his suit out before you even think of flipping to hero.

Welcome to the community! Seems like you made some good choices to start.

I primarily play solo and have really enjoyed Ant-man so far.

10 hours ago, smickletz said:

Welcome to the community! Seems like you made some good choices to start.

I primarily play solo and have really enjoyed Ant-man so far.

I need to pick him, Ms. Marvel and Doctor Strange up still... I hear him and Strange are fun

On 12/4/2020 at 9:12 AM, Sc00ter1979 said:

I said it before and I'll say it again - Hulk is my 2nd fave, so I must be playing him wrong lol.

love that you have had that experience. One thing I have noticed about the Marvel Champions boards overall (not here in particular, looking at them as a whole including things such as Discord, BGG, etc....there are many people who think if you are not playing Expert or Heroic and/or using sets like Doomsday Chair, Ronan, etc. that you aren't playing the game right whereas many people who don't use the boards (and a few who do) tend to play it more as a relaxing game. that can have a real impact on the fun of any given hero.

I have a group of 8 people that regularly plays; at least two of us play Lord of the Rings LCG and when it is time to play Marvel Champions there is a "hey lets play a more relaxed game" vibe a lot that lets us get away with even having two of four players in a specific game play aggression and still giving us a shot to win.

I am a big proponent of everyone playing the game to have fun their way. I have seen some of the "community decided" alterations to cards and heroes so they can change the game to the way they want to play it. More power to them. The more people there are enjoying the game however they want to, from the group I heard about where they play stage 1 of any given villain on up to the people playing Heroic Three (Thanks Team Covenant), the more people there are buying it the longer they will keep releasing fun new content. Huzzah!!!

And knowing there are people playing Hulk and enjoying him despite other people constantly picking at him, that is fantastic to me. Love it.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, Sc00ter1979 said:

I like Hulk as well, I’ve played him three times. Enjoyable each time.

3 hours ago, darthweasel2 said:

I am a big proponent of everyone playing the game to have fun their way. I have seen some of the "community decided" alterations to cards and heroes so they can change the game to the way they want to play it. More power to them. The more people there are enjoying the game however they want to, from the group I heard about where they play stage 1 of any given villain on up to the people playing Heroic Three (Thanks Team Covenant), the more people there are buying it the longer they will keep releasing fun new content. Huzzah!!!

And knowing there are people playing Hulk and enjoying him despite other people constantly picking at him, that is fantastic to me. Love it.

I couldn’t agree more, I love this perspective

Dr. Strange is so awesome! Once you figure out how to get his invocation deck humming, it feels almost like the scene from Infinity War where he busts out the Images of Ikon spell against Thanos.

I think one of my favorite things about this game is that when I look at the mechanic for each of the heroes, I can actually imagine them doing their thing.

14 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

Dr. Strange is so awesome! Once you figure out how to get his invocation deck humming, it feels almost like the scene from Infinity War where he busts out the Images of Ikon spell against Thanos.

I think one of my favorite things about this game is that when I look at the mechanic for each of the heroes, I can actually imagine them doing their thing.

that is a constant refrain in our group. Hawkeye "feels" like Hawkeye with his quiver/arrows/Marksmen mechanic. Iron Man assembling his suit and then flying around doing all the things...amazing. And so forth. For me I don't have a "I just take this set of 25 Aspect and basic cards and move them from hero to hero", each one feels so different that they get their own suite of cards. Sure there is some overlap but if I put the say...Aggression cards I use with Thor into Ms Marvel, they are less effective. But even if I do flip them over the 15 card Hero sets are so different that they feel like they are doing vastly different things even though at its heart the game is just a math puzzle...but that puzzle is so different with Captain Marvel than it is with Spider Woman where one can pure overpower whereas the other tends to finesse it a bit more.

Another favorite is you can sound effect a lot of things from the movies if you so desire. When Ant Man goes to giant form, I love doing his cheesy "whoa-oh-oh-ho" sound effect from when he did it in Civil War. You have likely seen people doing the "Have at Thee" for Thor...which is more a comic than a movie thing, but fun nevertheless. We have had a ton of the arm crossing, chest thrusting "Wakanda Forever"s. Cheesy? sure. Fun? Absolutely. And to me that is the entire point of a game. If I am not having fun I am going to go do something else.

As you say, when playing a hero and feeling like they are doing their thing and having a great time with it...this game is a home run

When I play Hulk I love talking in third person, especially saying things Hulk would never actually say. Like the time an encounter card almost made me discard Hall of Heroes and I go, "No Hulk need place where everyone knows Hulk's name." That being based on my running gag of Hall of Heroes is just you opening a bar in Asgard.

2 hours ago, Spoonzo said:

When I play Hulk I love talking in third person, especially saying things Hulk would never actually say. Like the time an encounter card almost made me discard Hall of Heroes and I go, "No Hulk need place where everyone knows Hulk's name." That being based on my running gag of Hall of Heroes is just you opening a bar in Asgard.

SAME!!!!

On 12/7/2020 at 9:30 AM, Cgriffith said:

I need to pick him, Ms. Marvel and Doctor Strange up still... I hear him and Strange are fun

Those three are my fave to play. Dr. Strange has started to get stale for me b/c of how insanely powerful he can get.

Once I’m able to get more multiplayer in, I think I’ll primarily be using Ms. Marvel. Solo games drag on a bit with her.

Thor would be my other multiplayer choice.