CIS Scum Firespray Discussion

By Enigami, in X-Wing

Separatists now have their own Firespray, and the Scum Firespray has also had a change (Boba's loss of his Crew slot). I've just gotten my CIS Firespray, and now that I can fly Twin Firespray lists, I'm itching to discuss Firesprays in general.

Autoblasters with CIS Slave 1 is a natural combo, as both upgrades want the attacker to be behind the opponent. Marksmanship with CIS Slave 1 adds to the amount of unblockable firepower, and both Scum and CIS have options to force yet more critical hits (Greedo or BT-1 for Scum, Dooku for CIS), which seems like a rather nice counter to the new and rather squishy ETAs that want nothing to do with uncancelable attacks. Seems like a good way to enrage Republic players wanting to play with their new toys 😈

Both I2 generics are identical. Bounty Hunters are 62 points, Separatist Racketeers are 64 points. Anybody got a clue why?

The loss of the Crew slot on Scum Boba hurts, though probably a very good thing now that Zam exists. CIS Slave 1 is a nice addition though, providing a cheaper Gunner slot for Han or Greedo/BT-1 + Autoblasters for those uncancelable crits. What would you say is the most ideal title for the nerfed Boba? None, CIS Slave 1, Marauder, or Scum Slave 1?

Emon gets the shiny new Thermal Detonators, which of course his ability can exploit to cover a lot of ground with. Shame Sabine is a Rebel and 1.0 Cad Bane no longer exists.

Does Krassis + Crit Gunner + Autoblasters look good to anybody? Backwards-shooting Autoblasters with Greedo or BT-1 looks like fun, and you only need to be out of the opponent's front arc to activate it. Frost could be scary with CIS Slave 1 + BT-1 + Autoblasters. If she gets behind a stressed ship, it's going to go up in flames in a hurry.

Everybody that isn't Scum Boba/Zam herself gets to run Zam now. 4 points for retaliatory locks/bonus attacks looks amazing to me on Frost/Krassis, punishing aces that fail to approach from the side with double modded attacks.

Count Dooku looks really good in CIS Slave 1 + Autoblaster lists, especially if Thermal Detonators are included. Unless I'm mistaken, the timing lets Dooku change a die to crit after the roll (assuming a natural crit isn't rolled), then Slave 1 and/or Marksmanship trigger afterwards and pile on Autoblaster crits. If you land the bullseye while behind an enemy ship with all crit upgrades, that's 3 crits that can't be avoided. Imagine having the opportunity to have a 100% chance to one shot Focus+Evade Soontir Fel behind a gas cloud. Dooku + Thermal Detonators also work great together. You can drop just 1 each turn and have Dooku force the Attack Die roll into a crit every time (assuming they hit of course)

Palpatine looks absolutely hilarious on Zam. Oh, you want to shoot me? Thanks for the free target lock/bonus attack. Oh, and have a stress token too. I am very much looking forward to CountJango + ChancellorZam 😈

Buying both Firespray expansions is extremely good value. 2x Firespray lists are viable and using the other faction's Firespray dial is kosher, so as long as you don't care about running Scum Boba+Krassis or CIS Jango+Boba, any new player can easily dip into 2 factions with just 2 expansions. Upgrades are decent too. Scum get the better end of the deal due to the cross faction cards from Jango, but the Scum Firespray does provide some pretty useful upgrades like Lone Wolf, Seismic Charges and Proximity Mines. With just what you can find in the Core Set, Scum Firespray, and Separatist Firespray, you can run lists that look to actually have teeth for both Scum and Separatists.

A couple lists I've put together doing just that:

Scum

Boba Fett (86)
Lone Wolf (5)
Seismic Charges (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Slave I (6)

Emon Azzameen (71)
Zam Wesell (4)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Andrasta (2)
Proximity Mines (6)
Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Separatist

Zam Wesell (76)
Predator (2)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
Seismic Charges (3)

Jango Fett (79)
Lone Wolf (5)
Hondo Ohnaka (6)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Slave I (3)
Boba Fett (6)
Total: 191

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Thoughts on our new Firespray overlords?

Edited by Enigami

Looking at the CIS firespray, im surprised it has the illicit slot. removeing that slot from the CIS version would be a nice way to make the faction versions a bit more different.

I'll have more to say on this post-Christmas. I'm not getting my Separatist Firespray until then, and I should then actually be able to fly it.

I think you are mistaken on Dooku - You need to call out the result before you roll

Kind of meh on CIS firespray right now. I like Zam, but outside of Dooku, they struggle to find meaningful upgrades to buff economy where they can carry or 2-ship.

I tried using Boba gunner yesterday and it did not proc all game - I am not sure if it is good

4 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Kind of meh on CIS firespray right now. I like Zam, but outside of Dooku, they struggle to find meaningful upgrades to buff economy where they can carry or 2-ship.

Have you tried Seasoned navigator on Jango? isn't it the same as the old slave 1 title

This is my double firespray build

YASB 2.0 - Jango all the way (raithos.github.io)

Edited by freakyg3
Just now, freakyg3 said:

I tried using Boba gunner yesterday and it did not proc all game - I am not sure if it is good

sXpMQrumTU4f_5k1tOj-5Zx4fm4vLFabwp8Bcqhu

As soon as I read Boba gunner, I thought back to this card in 1.0...it never worked

Just now, freakyg3 said:

Have you tried Seasoned navigator on Jango? isn't it the same as the old slave 1 title

This is my double firespray build

YASB 2.0 - Jango all the way (raithos.github.io)

Jangos pilot ability just doesn't work consistently and I'm not sold just being I6 is enough.

2 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Jangos pilot ability just doesn't work consistently and I'm not sold just being I6 is enough.

Around these parts you will need to beat `188-89 to get the bid too

7 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

sXpMQrumTU4f_5k1tOj-5Zx4fm4vLFabwp8Bcqhu

As soon as I read Boba gunner, I thought back to this card in 1.0...it never worked

Haha, I never flew it because 100% of the time my opponents rerolled into worse dice.

12 hours ago, Enigami said:

CountJango + ChancellorZam

This is the build I'm currently working with, both with Thermal Dets.

Zam with force crew is sort of a Rey-lite, very efficient. For Jango, I have used his ability exactly 0 times, so for right now, his ability is to be i6 for me. I need to evaluate it further.

For Scum, Boba might head back to the Han Gunner combo with the new Slave 1 title. Add in Autoblasters, Marksmanship, and maybe sub-in Greedo gunner and Boba can save all his mods for defense and just crit folks to death.

Emon should take advantage of the drop for Andrasta and most bombs. Thermal Dets, Protons, and Proxs all seem like the ideal choices. Zam crew works well with Firesprays as they have 2 arcs to use the conditions on. The free lock might give Emon the firepower he was lacking to hang with Boba in a two ship list.

1 hour ago, freakyg3 said:

I think you are mistaken on Dooku - You need to call out the result before you roll

Nope, I'm aware of that. You call the result before you roll but don't apply the result until after, I'm just not 100% sure where the timing of Dooku's after roll effect, Marksmanship and Slave 1 are. Pretty sure it goes Dooku (after roll) then Marksmanship/Slave 1 to mod the results afterwards. If you didn't spend Dooku on forcing a Thermal critical result, there's going to be nothing better than guaranteeing a crit result on an out-of-front-arc Autoblasters shot.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

This is the build I'm currently working with, both with Thermal Dets.

Zam with force crew is sort of a Rey-lite, very efficient. For Jango, I have used his ability exactly 0 times, so for right now, his ability is to be i6 for me. I need to evaluate it further.

For Scum, Boba might head back to the Han Gunner combo with the new Slave 1 title. Add in Autoblasters, Marksmanship, and maybe sub-in Greedo gunner and Boba can save all his mods for defense and just crit folks to death.

Emon should take advantage of the drop for Andrasta and most bombs. Thermal Dets, Protons, and Proxs all seem like the ideal choices. Zam crew works well with Firesprays as they have 2 arcs to use the conditions on. The free lock might give Emon the firepower he was lacking to hang with Boba in a two ship list.

I'm surprised his ability came up 0 times, I'd expect atleast a couple turns where the opponent had to move a ship faster than Jango. Maybe your opponents are overreacting to his ability and trying to out-slow him? If so, that in itself is useful for pressuring your opponent to choose slower maneuvers than they would have otherwise.

2x Thermal Detonators is the exact build I'm bringing to my next game, we're thinking alike here. Crit Machine Boba might be the new way to go, but I could maybe see Han + old Slave 1 still being very effective. Zam is basically going to be stapled to Boba's partner Firespray, she just seems way to useful not to include on them. Low initiative works better for her since higher initiative ships in her ship's firing arc have to worry about feeding her ship locks that will be used against them later in the Engagement Phase.

Another thought I had is that you can use Rigged Cargo Chute with Dooku on the CIS Firesprays to create an action-dropped "mine", once again exploiting Dooku to guarantee the crit damage occurs on top of the stress they take.

2 minutes ago, Enigami said:

Another thought I had is that you can use Rigged Cargo Chute with Dooku on the CIS Firesprays to create an action-dropped "mine", once again exploiting Dooku to guarantee the crit damage occurs on top of the stress they take.

I like your thinking - another dirty trick with the rigged cargo chute is to drop a siesmic on it, after you drop. You might get lucky - giving a crit when u drop it, giving another one when they move and then blowing it up for three

(I am adding the chute to my build as soon as I finish typing)

2 hours ago, Enigami said:

I'm surprised his ability came up 0 times, I'd expect at least a couple turns where the opponent had to move a ship faster than Jango. Maybe your opponents are overreacting to his ability and trying to out-slow him? If so, that in itself is useful for pressuring your opponent to choose slower maneuvers than they would have otherwise.

I've only flown it twice. It just happened to be that Jango's targets typically did a blue. It may have had an effect on the game in my opponent's choices in who they shot by not targeting Jango, but I cannot say. I also flew against Rey with Rose in both of those instances, who largely doesn't care that you turn a result to a blank. The one time I could have against Rey, she had no force, so she was going to spend lock that result anyway.

Edited by 5050Saint

I’ve been trying out Zam and Boba and finding boba to be generally better than Jango, if you don’t mind lacking the I6.

I was running Zam with lone wolf so neither ship wanted to be near each other to constantly trigger their abilities. It worked very well, just playing cat and mouse depending which spray they attempted to focus on. Boba can tank a lot of hits for sure, took him the whole game to be killed and by then Zam is still too healthy for the opponent to take on.

11 hours ago, Enigami said:

I love the sound of this and I think I’ll be adding it to my list. I’ve been using Dooku to auto crit with the thermals, but I like the sound of this too, gives more options to sneak in damage and stress. Also more ways to utilize Dooku’s ability.

Just tried an "all the prequel villains" combo which included Jango with Dooku.

Had a lot of fun with Dooku, autoblasters, Slave 1. Use Dooku to declare a "crit" result. Get at least one guaranteed unavoidable crit thanks to Dooku, and probably at least a second unavoidable crit thanks to Slave 1. Throw marksmanship on for more fun...

I played the double firesprays last night - seasoned navigator at I6 was key.

So I'm 3 wins from 3 games with this list so far. It's hella nasty and you feel like a complete scumbag playing it, but it's so fun!

Boba Fett (86)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (5)
False Transponder Codes (2)
Slave I (Separatist) (3)
Greedo (1)

Ship total: 101 Half Points: 51 Threshold: 5

Koshka Frost (70)
Lone Wolf (5)
0-0-0 (5)
Stealth Device (6)
Marauder (6)
BT-1 (2)

Ship total: 94 Half Points: 47 Threshold: 5

Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZ200Z103X125W232W311WW369WWW370W83Y106X124WWW63WWW166W153W79&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=