[Ruling] Those Who Serve

By Goateh, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

With the new Those Who Serve errata, how does this work when combined with other cost reducing effects?

For example, Meishodo Wielder reduces his own cost by 1. If I play TWS with Meishodo Wielder as first player, does he cost 0 or 1? Another example is if I trigger Yasuki Procurer in the dynasty phase. If I have a 1 cost character, and I trigger Yasuki Procurer, I expect him to cost 0. If I trigger TWS now, does it still cost 0, or does the TWS minimum apply and have it cost 1? What about if I have a 2-cost character? Trigger Procurer to have it cost 1, then trigger TWS and it should still cost 1. What if I flip the order of the effects? I use TWS, reducing the cost to 1. Then I use Yasuki Procurer, and I would expect this to reduce the cost to 0.

All minimums must be observed regardless of the order of the cost reduction effects; therefore, the higher minimum is the limiting factor. Meishōdō Wielder + Those Who Serve still causes the shugenja to cost 1 (not 0).
If you use two Yasuki Procurers, you can reduce a 2-cost character’s cost to 0, but once you apply Those Who Serve it “bottoms out” at 1 cost.

[Tyler Parrott, Mar 30 2020]

I have a bit of a follow-up question to your answer from last night. There's a few edge cases that I just want to confirm.
1) Eager Scout + TWS. Should cost 0 to buy (using Iwasaki Pupil as precedent).
2) Meishodo Wielder + Yasuki Procurer + Yasuki Procurer + TWS. Should cost 1 (2 cost body, 4 fate reduction, 1 fate minimum).
For 3, we'll have to define "Anti-TWS" which increases the cost of characters by 1.
3) Eager Scout + TWS + Anti-TWS. Should cost 1 (0 cost body, 1 fate cost increase, 1 fate reduction, 1 fate minimum)

Are these correct?

Uh, yes. That should be correct: if Eager Scout had its cost increased and then re-reduced by TSW, it would still cost 1 as TSW cannot reduce it below 1.

[Tyler Parrott, Mar 31 2020]